Acceptance of Emory MPH 2011 Fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acmilannesta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've received notification from global health deparment of emory university to accept me into global health (infectious disease) MPH program.
Has anyone studied in this program? Is there a likelihood to get financial aid? If I want to seek PhD degree further, may it be a suitable choice?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on your acceptance! I'll be joining the same program in the fall (Global Health - Infectious Disease). I know for financial aid the acceptance packet/website link said that they would be notifying people who were being considered for scholarships the first week or two of March, those people would be interviewed and invited to Visit Emory (with a stipend for travel) and decisions would be given after Visit Emory.

However, I and several other people have already received notification that we have been given merit scholarships, they did say that I would be getting a stipend for Visit Emory ($250 - not too much). I know another poster said he/she was offered a scholarship at the time of acceptance - so point being, it seems like there is a little bit of fluidity with the notification timeline.

I wouldn't know if they have decided on all scholarships, they may have some that they are waiting to issue until after Visit Emory, I also don't know if they reallocate any Merit Scholarships given to people who don't accept their spot (scholarship recipients deadline for acceptance was moved up from May 1 to April 15, so maybe they have a "waitlist" for scholarships who they want to notify before the May 1 deadline if any scholarships are not taken).

Good luck with your decision! I'm sure someone else can speak to the PHD question, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Global Health program!

Congratulations on your acceptance! I'll be joining the same program in the fall (Global Health - Infectious Disease). I know for financial aid the acceptance packet/website link said that they would be notifying people who were being considered for scholarships the first week or two of March, those people would be interviewed and invited to Visit Emory (with a stipend for travel) and decisions would be given after Visit Emory.

However, I and several other people have already received notification that we have been given merit scholarships, they did say that I would be getting a stipend for Visit Emory ($250 - not too much). I know another poster said he/she was offered a scholarship at the time of acceptance - so point being, it seems like there is a little bit of fluidity with the notification timeline.

I wouldn't know if they have decided on all scholarships, they may have some that they are waiting to issue until after Visit Emory, I also don't know if they reallocate any Merit Scholarships given to people who don't accept their spot (scholarship recipients deadline for acceptance was moved up from May 1 to April 15, so maybe they have a "waitlist" for scholarships who they want to notify before the May 1 deadline if any scholarships are not taken).

Good luck with your decision! I'm sure someone else can speak to the PHD question, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Global Health program!

Thanks for your reply! Actually I'm an international applicant from China, my familarity with Emory almost equal to zero except the information I gain on web. So could you leave your MSN address and probably we can have a in-depth chat if it is convenient for you? I'll appreciate it very much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received notification of my merit scholarship and assistantship from Emory Global Health last week (I received notification of my acceptance much earlier). I received a scholarship at Columbia, and the scholarship dinners for both schools are on the same weekend. As the post above this mentions, the website said final notifications would go out after Visit Emory. Well, I contacted Emory to check on that, because I didn't want to hurt my chances of getting additional money if I couldn't make it to the Visit Emory day. She responded that the website is out of date. This is not to say that ALL scholarships are out, I'm not positive on that, but I did want to let yall know that the website talking about the timeline for merit scholarships is out of date. At this point, I think that anyone who has already been accepted and received a merit scholarship must have been notified, because they had to be invited to the awards dinner which is coming up soon. But I also agree that perhaps they will redistribute at a much later, after other scholars give up their place for the fall and enroll at different schools. Not sure

Hey everyone, congrats on your acceptances and choosing Emory. I am planning on attending Emory in the GLEPI (Global Epi) department. Very excited. Just waiting on my financial aid package, and notification of any scholarships. I suppose the only thing that would force me to reconsider would be a near full scholarship at Yale or Michigan. Otherwise, I'll probably be seeing some of you around campus this Fall :)

Has anyone from the GLEPI or EPI department received notice of merit-based scholarship yet?

Has anyone from the GLEPI or EPI department received notice of merit-based scholarship yet?

Someone from Epi posted on the decision thread 2011 (I think it's user aaftb) that he/she was offered a merit scholarship. Like Globalhealth85 noted, there is a scholar's dinner at one of the Dean's houses during Visit Emory for all merit scholars (regardless of department) so if they haven't sent them all out yet they probably will have in the next few days. The poster on the decision thread decided on Harvard though, so that might be a merit scholarship that will be offered to someone else, I'm not sure what they do with money that is turned down. The school I went to for undergrad did not reallocate declined scholarships, but I don't know if that's common and Emory may be different.

I am sorry to hear from Emory that they don't usually have aid for international students except some few amount of merit scholarships. They just suggest to apply private loan and external scholarship. I was accepted for MPH Health Policy and Mx program by the way.

Any thoughts on Emory Vs Oxford Global Health program and London School?

thanks,
cesc

Hey Everyone,

I've been accepted into Emory's Global Envt Health program. Anyone on the forum who is also in the same program or who has graduated from it? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Hey everyone, congrats on your acceptances and choosing Emory. I am planning on attending Emory in the GLEPI (Global Epi) department. Very excited. Just waiting on my financial aid package, and notification of any scholarships. I suppose the only thing that would force me to reconsider would be a near full scholarship at Yale or Michigan. Otherwise, I'll probably be seeing some of you around campus this Fall :)

Hi NicapyMPH, if you don't mind sharing, what influenced your decision to choose Emory over Yale? Just curious since I'm debating between emory's global epi vs. yale's epi of microbial diseases programs..

Hey guys! I'm in Atlanta for Visit Emory (starting tomorrow), it's a beautiful 77 degrees outside, sunshine, and nice breezes...it's not too late to drive over if you were sitting on the fence about coming :)

Hope to meet a few of you tomorrow and Friday at our info sessions!

Awapi,
Nice to know you are in EMory... Unfortunately, I couldn't make it. Have been accepted into HPM.. Seriously contemplating between Yale and Emory.. Please do post how Visit Emory goes. Thanks!

Awapi,
Nice to know you are in EMory... Unfortunately, I couldn't make it. Have been accepted into HPM.. Seriously contemplating between Yale and Emory.. Please do post how Visit Emory goes. Thanks!

I was also at visit emory, and I am in HPM. I was somewhat on the fence about emory (not even sure why this was) but after these past two days I have decided to attend. The program seems excellent and the curriculum looks interesting. There also seem to be an incredible amount of opportunities in the area with the various organizations. The facilities are amazing also. I spoke with one senior faculty member at the reception and after telling him what I was interested in he immediately started giving me information about what classes to take and what professors to seek out. It also seemed like a really dynamic group of students (prospective and current). Im sure yale has a great program, but the opportunities for part time jobs, internships and practical experiences in Atlanta seem to far outweigh those in New Haven.

Awapi,

Visit Emory was great! I'll do a little (or long) review for those who couldn't attend but want to know!

Thursday - we registered in the morning and received a bag full of information which included Emory stuff as well as information on apartments around the area. Then there were various tours available all day. I went on the 930 CDC tour, it was really great, we got to look around at the Global Health Odyssey Museum which had a temporary exhibit on Malaria, downstairs there is a permanent exhibit on the history of the CDC, it was really cool to see some of the history of how it got started and what has made it what it is today (the 1976 outbreak of Legionnaires' disease in Philadelphia). They even gave you an opportunity to try on one of the lab suits (which I did and loved it).

After that were tours of residents, they went to three apartment complexes around school and did tours and gave info. There were also tours of the school itself including the new building.

In the afternoon they had a reception with (good) food and an opportunity for us to meet professors. They had tables with concentrations on them (Global Health, Epi, HPM, etc) and professors from those departments were floating near the tables with name tags and their department on them (very helpful). You were not limited to your department, but it was nice to know where to find people you were interested in talking to regardless of department.

Next was an SGA Mixer, more food and beer with current students set up at tables for student organizations. You could get info on everything from SGA to HOLA (student org for Latin American students) to the Peace Corps MI program.

Friday was the "main event" - the morning started with an awesome breakfast (I just want to keep pointing out the awesome food they were serving haha). We then did information sessions on:

- Snapshots on Financial Aid - representatives from the department explained loan options, options for repayment (as well as the loan forgiveness program for working for 10 years in public service), and grants/work study options. They also gave a timeline for when we should be able to view completed packages, they said they should start being available at the end of next week (April 1) and if your file is complete then you should hear well before any April 15 deadlines. - Something cool about Emory, Federal Work Study was taken away a few years ago, but the Dean said that it wasn't acceptable for students not to receive work study. He redid the budget so that the school itself pays for work study and it's called Practical Experience.

- Snapshots on Alumni - representative Alumni were there from the CDC, CARE, Georgia Office of Planning, Children's Healthcare, etc. One couldn't make it because she was called in to the CDC to respond to the issues in Japan (which was a cool indicator of the positions that RSPH alums hold). We were able to ask questions and hear about what they do and how they got there. They also talked about opportunities they took advantage of while at Rollins and how they feel about the loans they took out while there (ALL of them said they are happy to be paying their reasonable loan payments every month because their time at Emory is what got them where they are today).

- Snapshots on Career Services - this was cool because they opened up the information on alums outside the circle of the ones that were represented there. They gave us statistics and specific examples of where alums are employed, what they make, this also included statistics on people who have not found jobs. They told about the career services options and had a panel of current students talk about how it had helped them. They (career services) seemed very eager to work with and help students to meet their career goals. They offer services like resume critique, mock interviews, help with creating a CV, and many other things. They also have career fairs every semester and have an Employment Portal for students only where potential employers can post jobs for free - called Rollins Opportunity Link (ROL). - I thought the best part of this presentation was that they didn't just talk about 4 or 5 alumni doing amazing things, they gave info they received from over 200 alumni who responded to surveys they did. I know I've seen on this forum a few times that people complained that schools focused on the achievements of just a few elite alums, this was not the case at Emory. They were very candid about the opportunities available and the need to be pro-active in job searching, they are obviously very supportive of their students and will do whatever is in their power to help you.

- Snapshots on Information Services - told about all the new technology in the buildings including Class Capture which allows professors to video and post lectures within 10 minutes of the end of class. They also have large screens available in rooms and "lilly pad" study areas where you can hook up any laptop in order to work on group projects on a large screen. There are a lot of upgrades that I won't go into, but it was impressive, believe me.

We then had Department Meetings and lunch, I can only speak to Global Health on this, but it was awesome! We had lunch with the professors and then split up into concentrations - so it was me, about 15 other students, and all the professors of Infectious Disease. They told us about their projects and then asked us to talk about what we want to do. I had two professors come up to me afterwards to talk about options for me for my assistantship (that was part of my merit award) for next year that fit my interests. They seemed genuinely interested and we were allowed a couple of hours with them so it wasn't rushed at all, I felt like I got a lot from it. The professors seemed genuinely interested in the what the students had in mind for their future. This was especially impressive because not all of the people there will attend Emory so they had no reason to be too interested yet. A cynic might ask - "why not wait and see who will go there before investing time in listening and considering their interests?" - but this is not the way it was at the visit, the professors listened carefully to all students present and made helpful comments/suggestions.

Then came the Rollins Research and Opportunities Fair - you could view posters done by merit scholars on their research projects and they also had tables (numbered) set up around the two buildings where professors with research opportunities and organizations had set up their information and made themselves available to talk to students about opportunities for work study and collaboration. There was a book given to us with descriptions of each project ahead of time with their table number, so you could decide ahead of time what tables you wanted to visit and develop questions for the representatives. This was one of the most beneficial opportunities of the whole visit since it gave you insight into what you might actually do at Rollins next year.

After this I went to the Dean's house for the Merit Scholars dinner, but there was also a SGA Happy Hour for everyone at two pubs near school where they offered specials to the students all night. I wasn't there so I can't speak to it, but it was probably a lot of fun :).

I didn't really have much of anything negative to say about the visit. All of the faculty, staff, and representative students were kind and helpful. They all seemed interested in what we wanted to do and how that fit in with Rollins. I thought it was great! I hope this helps anyone who wasn't able to come!

Last edited:
Glad you had a great time Awapi! As an added sidenote-all that food is pretty common for Rollins. We get a lot of free food and drink all the time and you will see half the school turn out. :)

c504,
Thanks for sharing the information. I kind of feel the same, but not definitely sure, about EMory having a lot more opportunities to work while studying than Yale... Also, I was impressed with the 12 month study model for HPM in Emory. In Yale, I have been accepetd for Advanced Professional MPH (11 months!!)... I'm not sure if an Advanced Professional MPH will make a lot of difference over MPH itself.. Any views on that??? Opinions and suggestions are welcome!!!

Awapi,
Thank you so much for all the details!!!! Very much needed indeed... The more I read it, the more inclined I feel towards EMory... Honestly, I'm an international student and I'm very concerned about funding while studying and Emory seems to have lot of opportunities.. Will see where it goes... Thank you!!! And, I think you've made the right choice with Emory!

I was also at visit emory, and I am in HPM. I was somewhat on the fence about emory (not even sure why this was) but after these past two days I have decided to attend. The program seems excellent and the curriculum looks interesting. There also seem to be an incredible amount of opportunities in the area with the various organizations. The facilities are amazing also. I spoke with one senior faculty member at the reception and after telling him what I was interested in he immediately started giving me information about what classes to take and what professors to seek out. It also seemed like a really dynamic group of students (prospective and current). Im sure yale has a great program, but the opportunities for part time jobs, internships and practical experiences in Atlanta seem to far outweigh those in New Haven.

Did you talk to Walter?

I feel like I know who you are, but I'm not..quite..sure. Most of the other HPM students I met while at Visit Emory were on the fence about whether to attend, so if I do know who you are, then I'm glad you decided to attend. :D

Hey guys,

As of yesterday I am officially attending Emory for Global Health this fall! I am so excited about the program, the school, and meeting everyone! The information posted in this forum has been so valuable to me since I won't be back in the USA til June and I've been following every thread on Emory on this website.
How are people finding places to live and room mates? I've read the thread on places near Briarcliff but do people have other suggestions? I won't have a car on campus so I am hoping to find a place within walking distance of the school or reliable public transport. I also want to a room mate. I am trying to navigate Craigslist but I've never used it. Suggestions?

And a random question-I am retiring my PC laptop. After two years in Africa the battery is fried, the keyboard is broken, and the screen blacks out:(
Any one have suggestions for a new lap top for grad school?
I am kind of leaning towards getting a Mac because everyone says they are reliable and can handle a lot of work but I am most familiar with PC.

YAY!! Another RPCV :) I'm excited to meet you at Emory in the fall! They have a great RPCV community and I've really enjoyed getting to know several of them over the past couple of months...they are really welcoming and it's really nice to meet people who served a few thousand miles from you but experienced the exact same elations/frustrations/ups/downs in a totally different culture!

On that note, I'm sure there are a lot of ways to find roommates, but you could take advantage of the RPCV/PCV community to see if they can help. If you emailed the director or some of the people on the RPCV/MI website they may be able to help you out (there might even be other PCVs coming to Emory in the fall that are in your same position - still serving and in need of a roommate - or current first year students living with second year students who will need a new roommate in the fall). It couldn't hurt to try, I know finding a roommate on the internet without meeting them can be daunting, at least if they are an RPCV you might have something in common, haha! The general email is [email protected] but if you are interested in direct email addresses just PM me and let me know! I think it's also been said before, but just in case, I think that Campus Crossings does roommate matchings like a dorm, so if you get farther in the process and can't find anyone that's always an option!

I would second your thoughts on the MAC, they are sometimes hard to get used to after using PCs, but my PC laptop only made it about 15 months in the heat and humidity of the Philippines, but my husband's MAC not only survived all of his PC service but is still in pristine condition and is what I am typing on right now and planning to use at Emory. I also like the inherent virus protection that comes with MACs...in addition to that, Emory has a MAC lab at the school so they are very well equipped (or so it seems and so they say) for students who use MACs (this is usually the only argument I hear against them, that they sometimes aren't compatible to certain systems, etc). You say you're most familiar with PCs, I was in this boat as well - had never used a Mac before in my life. For the last 12 months of service when I had to borrow the MAC I regularly complained about the "ridiculous" functions and clicks required to do things, but now it's second nature and when I have to use my mom's PC laptop I laugh to myself every time because now I find PC functions to be bothersome :)

Good luck and see you in the fall!

Hey guys,

How are people finding places to live and room mates? I've read the thread on places near Briarcliff but do people have other suggestions? I won't have a car on campus so I am hoping to find a place within walking distance of the school or reliable public transport. I also want to a room mate. I am trying to navigate Craigslist but I've never used it. Suggestions?

And a random question-I am retiring my PC laptop. After two years in Africa the battery is fried, the keyboard is broken, and the screen blacks out:(
Any one have suggestions for a new lap top for grad school?
I am kind of leaning towards getting a Mac because everyone says they are reliable and can handle a lot of work but I am most familiar with PC.

Last edited: