kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was looking through the information for one of my schools today and noticed something that read, in effect, that once you're accepted you have two weeks to respond to the offer. I actually remember seeing something similar in the AMCAS materials. Does this really mean that if you're accepted you have only two weeks to decide? I've heard of people having multiple acceptances and waiting to see what financial aide they are offered...how is this possible if the preceding is true? I would appreciate it if some could explain this part of the process to me >).

jackieMD2007

***MVI***
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
The Hospital
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You can hold multiple acceptances--you accept at multiple schools.
You have two weeks to decide if you accept the school's acceptance. Before May 15th, it doesn't matter how many acceptances you hold.

LauraPaz

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
St. Louis
laurapaz.livejournal.com
Status
Medical Student
kypdurron5 said:
I was looking through the information for one of my schools today and noticed something that read, in effect, that once you're accepted you have two weeks to respond to the offer. I actually remember seeing something similar in the AMCAS materials. Does this really mean that if you're accepted you have only two weeks to decide? I've heard of people having multiple acceptances and waiting to see what financial aide they are offered...how is this possible if the preceding is true? I would appreciate it if some could explain this part of the process to me >).
You effectively have two weeks to decide if you want to hold a spot. Most times, this means you'll need to send them a deposit as well, but (for allopathic schools at least) the deposit is relatively minor, compared to what you may gain by waiting for financial aid offers. You may hold as many spots as you want until May 15th, at which point you MUST withdraw from all but one. Then comes the fun of wait-list movement, if (god forbid) you're on those.

I had this same question last year, as I got accepted to Cincinnati before I had even been to any other interviews. When I called and asked, they said it was just to hold your spot, and if I decided to go elsewhere to let them know at that point. Lucky for me, UC doesn't require a deposit at all, so I didn't even lose the couple hunderd bucks when Wash U called. That said, DO NOT let a measly $300 (or whatever) hold you back from going where you really want to go. Keep in mind the huge cost of med school, and go where you'll really be happy, regardless of who already has your deposit.

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
kypdurron5 said:
Prior to May 15. Once accepted, you have 2 weeks to send a small deposit. You can do this to as many schools as you wish.

Once May 15th rolls around, you should only hold 1 acceptance. Following then, if accepted to another school, you have 2 weeks to decide between the 2 schools.

If you are holding more than 1 acceptance on June 15th (not having just been pulled from a waitlist at one school). You may be dropped from all schools.

Svidrillion

10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
F-town
Status
I'm not expert, but it is my understanding that before May 15th, you can tell more than one school that you will attend their institution, and then can put money down on those multiple schools. Then, when May15th rolls around, you are forced to choose. I also beleive that before May 15th, the deposit required by most schools on 'acceptance of their acceptance,' so to speak, is refundable.

Am I right, anybody?

isobel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
kypdurron5 said:

you can decide to go to multiple schools but then by may 15th, you have to have narrowed it down to one.

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status
Medical Student
jackieMD2007 said:
You can hold multiple acceptances--you accept at multiple schools.
You have two weeks to decide if you accept the school's acceptance. Before May 15th, it doesn't matter how many acceptances you hold.
lol jackie you totally lost me with what you said..

OP
K

kypdurron5

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ouch...why am I feeling like this expensive process just got a whole bunch more EXPENSIVE?!? I realize the momentous importance of these events, but it's still hard to shrug off $300+ and call it "measly." Not to mention however much was spent on primaries and secondaries, plus primaries and secondaries last year (when I wasn't accepted). Just applying to medical school is going to break me, forget about tuition! ;)

LauraPaz

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2006
St. Louis
laurapaz.livejournal.com
Status
Medical Student
kypdurron5 said:
Ouch...why am I feeling like this expensive process just got a whole bunch more EXPENSIVE?!? I realize the momentous importance of these events, but it's still hard to shrug off $300+ and call it "measly." Not to mention however much was spent on primaries and secondaries, plus primaries and secondaries last year (when I wasn't accepted). Just applying to medical school is going to break me, forget about tuition! ;)

Haha, yeah, I know, but it is measly when you look at what DO schools ask for a deposit.....we're talking a couple thousand dollars for those.

ND2005

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Atlanta
Status
Pre-Medical
kypdurron5 said:

Most of the time, they will refund your deposit as long as you withdraw by May 15th.

(That said, I'm still waiting on my $$ from Florida)