1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

acceptance rate for the following schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ohgee, Nov 8, 2002.

1. ohgee

ohgee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hello

Do anyone know the acceptance rate after interview for Columbia, Tuft, UCLA, UCSF, USC, UPENN, Temple, BU..or how many accepted/interviewed?

Thanks...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I believe for the following:

Tufts: 85% (they do have a very strict screening process prior to interview, but don't really know how many actually interviewed.)
    Boston: 180% (lol)
    UPENN: 66.66% 200/300
    Temple: 50% 400/800

Hope this helps,

DesiDentist

4. Dentalstu02

Dentalstu02 Member
    7+ Year Member

Temple said that they take 1 in 4 for the interview, it says that on the letter they send. So they interview ~500. I am not sure exactly how many they accept, but their class size is 125.

5. ohgee

ohgee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

oh...i forgot..

UCONN too...

6. Comet208

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I have no info on acceptence rate, but here is the enrollment rate for fall 2001 right out of ADEA book:

Columbia 5.69%
    Tufts 7.28%
    upenn 6.8%
    BU 5.8%
    UConn 4.74%

hope this helps....

p.s Desi, where did yo get those percentages from? not that i have any problem with Tufts accepting 85% of its applicants, but it seem to be too high....

7. DesiDentist

Dentist
    Comet,

The original question was what one's chance is after an interview invite.

Most of the percentages (ex. Boston) I got directly from the Admission Directors. Tufts has an aggressive screening process prior to the interview and they will have a higher rate of acceptance. PENN I was told at the interview it was 2/3 or 66%. temple I know they interview 25-33% as told to me by Mark Lombard for 125 seats and they have a pretty high acceptance rate as well.

DesiDentist

8. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Desi,

Are u sure that Temple acceptance rate after interview is 50%? That freaks me out. That's not a high acceptance rate. Even UOP has a higher acceptance rate.
    Can someone clarify this?
    Tink

9. DesiDentist

Dentist
    tink,

After talking with students who served on the acceptance committee the number I was told around 33-50%. Unlike UOP and Tufts, Temple does not screen its applicants very closely prior to interview. I know you have a much, much higher chance of acceptance at Temple if you interview early. If a school screens aggressively prior to the interview then that means there is more chances of acceptance afterwards. Hope this helps.

DesiDentist

10. Dentalstu02

Dentalstu02 Member
    7+ Year Member

For temple 25% are asked for an interview. SO about 500 out of 2000 will be asked for an interview. The class size of temple is 125 as said b4.
    If they took between 33-50% then that would be accepting 150-250 people. Schools have to factor in that students will turn down their school for another one.
    SO 33% is definately way too low, out of 125 spots, there is no way that schools will assume that only 25 people will turn down their school.
    I dont know what DD talked to, but that is inaccurate.

11. ohgee

ohgee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am pretty sure that Temple does not screen its applicants closely prior to interview...I got my interview invite 2-3 days after AADSAS submitted my app in! it takes a least 1-2 days to mail it all the way to California...:)

When I went to interview, I found that some of the applicant haven't taken DAT, or part of the application are not complete etc...

Student at Temple told us that we have a "high chance" of acceptance once we get interviewed, but I didn't ask for specific numbers....

Oh..if anyone is interested, i just found from UCONN website
    that in 1999, 1000 applications are received, out of those, 150 interviewed and 100 offers

I also found from past archives from SDN that UCLA (few yrs ago), interviewed about 180, 150 offered acceptance.

12. DesiDentist

Dentist
    Dentalstu02,

33% is what the students who were on the admission committee told me. Mark said that they expect 2,400-2,600 applications this year. Temple gets the most apps out of any school. Besides there are "rounds" of acceptances. If in the first round they send out 300 acceptances and 100 people accept than naturally they will accept less and less people. So it varies. If only 10 people out of 300 people accept and put down an offer in the first round and 40 in the second and so on then more people go accepted. You have to take that into consideration.

DesiDentist