1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

acceptance rate

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Qoo, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Qoo

Qoo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was wondering if you know how many interviews a particular school gives and the acceptance rate corresponding to that. I'm especially interested in penn, columbia, ucsf and uop. Can someone fill me in please?
    Thanks!

~Qoo

2. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I remember reading on this forum that UPENN gives about 200 interviews for its 90+ openings. Apparently, they do a thorough pre-screen and an interview invite is tantamount to an offer of admittance unless one flat out blows said interview.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Vendor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I don't know where I read it but I heard PENN gives 300 interviews and accepts 200 and waitlists the other 100. I don't know if I read it or overheard someone talking about it. I really don't know. When i called PENN to schedule my interview I asked them how many people they interview and they said that that is confidential information. But I think that is a good estimate since PENN receives 1,300 apps a year so that is around 25%.

Temple I know interviews 25% of their applicant pool which is 800 people. I do not know how many acceptances they give out though. I think it might be as high as 50% but I really can't say.

However, if you get an interview at any school you have a very very good chance of getting accepted. In my opinion an interview is kinda like, " you are accepted, but lets see what you really are like in person."

Most schools I think will interview between 25 -40 percent of their applicant pool and accept 50 -75% of those who they interviewed. That is why applying early is better since schools will start interviewing ASAP even when their entire applicant pool isn't even finished yet. Meaning that if a person applies in june, a school might have only 200 or so applications at their disposal rather than 2,500 at the end of may so naturally you have a better shot of getting an interview and accepted.

I know UOP, if given an interview you have almost a 100% chance of getting accepted. Columbia, I have no clue, but last year they really were interviewing until May or June and still had seats open. So it really matters on your timing of application and how many people are applying with you for the seat.

Hope this helps,

DesiDentist

If anyone knows FOR SURE what PENN's and Temple's rates are please speak up. Mine are only stuff that I have heard. I really don't know its credibility.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Desi,

I agree with everything that you posted, with the exception of your interview/acceptance estimate. Schools accepting 50-75% of the applicants they interview is a grossly high estimate. A more realistic (and maybe still high) estimate would be 35% (around 80-100 acceptances). Schools then count on 35% of that number to take acceptances elsewhere.

Then again, this is just speculation. All I know is that 50-75% seems astronomically high -- I can't see a school who interviews 300 students accepting 150-225 of those!

5. DesiDentist

Dentist
    Gavin,

I agree with you. However, there are several factors that have to be considered here. Every school knows that there is a good chance that not all of the people accepted will pay the deposit to reserve their seat. For this reason, schools wil interview and at a interval decide which individuals to accept, hold, and reject. After Dec. 1 they will send out the first batches of acceptances and see how many people reply with their deposit, then they will readjust their plans and send out more or less acceptances. It is a very bewildering project and every year is different, but there are schools that do have astronomical acceptance rates after interview, UOP, NYU, Tufts..etc. Yes, a school is in big trouble if they have room for 125 people and they accept 200 and all 200 accept, but that is a risk many schools are willing to take. Sending out an acceptance for only enough seats is foolish, since if only half of those reply then the school will waste time and risking not filling enough seats. My friend who denied NYU at first, got a $80,000 scholarship after rejecting NYU's acceptance offer, schools do come out shorthanded and have to desperately try to recruit more and more people to be certain to fill their seats. Very confusing process indeed.

All I can guarantee about this cycle is two things:

1.) Have faith in God
    2.) Apply early

And hopefully you don't have to think about how many people get accepted since you will be one of those. ;-)

DesiDentist

6. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING
    7+ Year Member

Man I can't wait 'till you get into dental school Desi. You truly deserve it.

(Sorry, random thought)

7. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    I agree with you Desi, but bear in mind that the average dental school class consists of 50-55 students. With a class that size I would imagine that 100-110 acceptances would be given out, and that those acceptances would come from 300 or so interviews. That's a 30% acceptance rate from interviews.

No matter the class size, 50-75% is just too high. UOP, NYU, etc., have class sizes far above the average dental student class.

True to the fact that it is a crazy process -- I'm glad I'm not on an addmission committee or burdened with the labor of dechiphering the incoming class and their stats.

All I can gurantee from the application cycle is:

Applying early gets you your denials earlier (tongue-in-cheek).

:)

8. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I know that ucsf interviews 240 and accepts 82. I have no idea about the waiting list.
    T

9. Stanford Fencer

Stanford Fencer Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

minor addition: the UCSF class is 82 students indeed. nevertheless, i do know that for the class of 2005, they went to #14 on the alternate list.

10. DesiDentist

Dentist
    Thanks Luminous and Centrum for your confidence and wishes. Hopefully, what you say will come true. I'm doing my best, but leaving it to the "Big Guy in the Sky" to get me through.

DesiDentist

11. Qoo

Qoo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Cool~ Thanks for all the replies! Keep it coming though!
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

Centrum,

I see that you are from Texas, do you know the answer to the question above regarding the 3 TX schools?? :)

~Qoo

12. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING
    7+ Year Member

Sorry Qoo, I dont have exact numbers. But if I get them I will be sure to report. :)