Acceptance Rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgwu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I have heard from many medical students, faculty, and pre-med students that the acceptance rates of many medical schools are higher, application for med. schools have dropped 16% and getting into medical school is now a lot easier. Is this true? And if it is can we say it has to do with politics or other fields which are gaining more interest aside from the medical profession. I believe there was a similar wave of something like this during the early 80's.

Members don't see this ad.

While it is true that the number of applications filed this year is, I believe, about 7% less than last year...it is not necessarily true that getting into medical school is much easier. Just as the percentage of applicants accepted is increasing slightly, average GPAs and MCAT scores for those accepted students are also increasing.

So while the percentage of accepted applicants is increasing (I think this year, a first-time applicant has a greater than 50% chance of admission), the criteria for acceptance are getting more stringent all the time. This year, the average GPA for acceptees may well eclipse 3.6, and the average MCAT is getting very close to 10s on all sections, too. Also, significant clinical experience before application is getting more crucial all the time. Research can help you stand out, as well. Oh, and I almost forgot...don't forget to have a life while you're doing all this and get involved in some unique extra-curricular activities!
smile.gif

Of course, we should all feel relieved that applications are going down, rather than up to the near 48,000 that were filed in 1996. However, you've got to be committed these days to get that acceptance letter. Many of my interviewers this year have made the comment that applicants these days are much more qualified than they were years ago.

As future physicians, we should all feel glad that most of the slackers and gold-diggers have fallen by the wayside, too.
smile.gif

Hope this helps! Good luck to you if you're applying in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.