Acceptance rates after interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunkists

im a fatty
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i dont know what to make of statistics like these but according to MSAR, baylor interviews ~620 and takes around ~300. with the idea of admissions being a crapshoot, can you kind of view this as like a 50/50 chance of getting in? also, UT-southwestern takes like 67% or something after interviews. this is all at once a very comforting yet strange statistic because... well i dont know. its just weird.

also, how do school usually notify you on the 10/15 admissions date? call? email? send out snailmail on that day and expect to receive it days later?

asdfja;flja.

i am antsy.

Members don't see this ad.

The post interview chances ARE pretty good, however they are not a random crapshoot. While the criteria for admissions after the interview can be a bit subjective, they are NOT completely random. Some schools will look at your GPA/MCAT's, LOR, EC's again with your interview responses. This is different from school to school. Some will take another look at everything and assign different weights to each category, others may put you on a level playing field with MCAT/GPA and look at your EC's and LOR's with Interview evaluations. Some may look soley at interview evalutations.

By now, you probably got the idea that each school is different. The one school I am waiting for responds by letter (acceptance and rejections are both in thin envelopes so I probably can't go by weight). I not only have to wait for them to say yea, nay or maybe, I have to wait for the USPS to carry it to my house. Needless to say, I am antsy, but I haven't started to stalk the postal carrier... YET.

Some will e-mail you, some will simply put the info on a website for you to see.

If you are waiting for a response, I hope you get much love from whomever you were courting at an interivew.

Originally posted by sunkists
i dont know what to make of statistics like these but according to MSAR, baylor interviews ~620 and takes around ~300. with the idea of admissions being a crapshoot, can you kind of view this as like a 50/50 chance of getting in? also, UT-southwestern takes like 67% or something after interviews.

Not all the people who are accepted choose to attend, so your chances are a little better than it appears in MSAR. How much better differs from school to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, the acceptance rate the OP referred to is correct. Baylor has to accept ~300 to fill their class of about 170. UTSW is likely the same. A Baylor interviewee has about a 50/50 shot at an acceptance letter.

Not that any of us who are hoping for one are less nervous about it because of the nice numbers! ;)

i've got the princeton review book of med schools, and for some of them it has stats on % of interviewees offered a spot (usually somewhere between 40% to double the number of actual spots in the class, at least by my eyeballing). for some others it has the straight numbers, which you can figure out a percentage from.

this has become my personal hobby/obsession now that i've started to move into the getting-interview stage. it varies widely from school to school: columbia offers a spot to like 15% of their interviewees (which is atypically low), while others range from 30% (usually the most competitive schools) to half or more.

Columbia's post interview acceptance percantage is abnormally low since their interviewing rate is so high. From what I've heard, since Columbia has it's own application, the administration feels that most people who apply there have a genuine interest in the school for taking the time to fill out a whole other application after the AMCAS, and thus they're more liberal with their interview invites. From their website, they interview close to 2000 people. It's espically depressing for me though, since Columbia is (was) my first choice :( :( :(

The chance is 1 out of 3, even after interviews. Good luck to you all.