Acceptance Rates for Specific Schools Based on MCAT/GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerkid9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So on average a medical school accepts about 8-9% of their applicants. Also, roughly 40-50% of all applicants get accepted into some school. So this means that many applicants other schools thought were "qualified" get rejected by a certain school.

How do schools differentiate which of the "qualified" applicants that they will accept to their specific school?

Is there any place where we can find statistics about specific schools as to what percent of applicants with certain mcat/gpa scores get rejected? Specifically I am interested in seeing what my chances are of getting in if I say match up with their average numbers.

Members don't see this ad.

x

Last edited:
My ugrad had it for the institution's med school, but I haven't really seen a wide set of data.

Check with your premed advisor if you have one. They may have info about how successful applicants from your school have been.

Members don't see this ad :)
So on average a medical school accepts about 8-9% of their applicants. Also, roughly 40-50% of all applicants get accepted into some school. So this means that many applicants other schools thought were "qualified" get rejected by a certain school.

How do schools differentiate which of the "qualified" applicants that they will accept to their specific school?

Is there any place where we can find statistics about specific schools as to what percent of applicants with certain mcat/gpa scores get rejected? Specifically I am interested in seeing what my chances are of getting in if I say match up with their average numbers.

That kind of info doesn't exist unless the school posts it themselves. I don't know of any school that discloses how many people with a certain MCAT/GPA are admitted or rejected. You can however read school threads for this info from MDApps etc. but still you won't find a complete breakdown of EVERY applicant. It's just not possible.

The best thing you can do is get your hands on an MSAR and start comparing your stats to the MCAT and GPA ranges (10-90th percentile) for matriculated students. If you're near the lower end of the range then it will be more difficult for you. It's that easy.

Good luck.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

x

Last edited: