Acceptance rates...

drmoon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2002
Los Angeles
    I came across a website (positiveprofiles.com) that actually had some useful info on it.

My question is that it stated that the overall acceptance rate for MD schools for the class of 2003 was about 44.9%. And for DO schools it was 35%. Does that make sense? In the early 90's when I first applied, I remember the numbers being more like overall acceptance of less than 20%. The site also said that for 2003's class, there were 2.5 applicants for every spot. That doesn't seem very high. I know that apps are down, but is it that much? And, are the acceptance rates really as high as that?

THE instiGATOR

Cow Tipper
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Sep 28, 2001
      Here's a link to UF's statistics. As you can see, my school has an average acceptance rate of 37.4%.

While you've got the link opened, take a look at our South Alabama record! I can't believe they let me in (toot toot)!!! The odds were really stacked against me. :clap: :D :clap:

If anybody's school has a similar link, post it please. I'd be curious to see how others are doing.

<a href="http://www.advising.ufl.edu/prehealth/handouts/MEDCOLLsum1996-2000.pdf" target="_blank">UF stats</a>

mpp

SDN Moderator
      Moderator Emeritus
      Verified Expert
      15+ Year Member
      Jan 18, 2001
      USA
      1. Attending Physician
        The <a href="http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/famg62001a.htm" target="_blank">AAMC</a> gives total number of allopathic applicants and matriculants over the past few years. The worst year in recent history was 1996 when the acceptance rate for allopathic students was about 34 percent. I wouldn't doubt if it is above 50 percent this year as everyone keeps saying that applications are down.

About the Ads

RetroMan

15+ Year Member
        Dec 22, 2001
        Northern California
          Hey guys,

You may want to check the US News Web site. For the Top 50 research and primary care medical schools they have admissions statistics for the 2000 entering class. I think they are pretty good as you may get a sense on how may people they interview and how many they accept in the given year. Some of the schools have nice ratios interview to acceptances (NYU 2:1) others are much harder in terms of ratios (BU 5:1). Hope this helps.

Retro

mpp

SDN Moderator
          Moderator Emeritus
          Verified Expert
          15+ Year Member
          Jan 18, 2001
          USA
          1. Attending Physician
            The <a href="http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/famg32001.htm" target="_blank">AAMC</a> also breaks it down by school (for all schools) but does not give the interview data like U.S. News does.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.