Acceptance rescinded due to dismissed misdemeanor charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted480308

I'll take your completely dodging the argument as you accepting those things shouldn't be felonies.

You shouldn't litter either. You wanna make that a felony too?
they should be felonies, no need to build strawmen

You're welcome to disagree if you like

Reactions: 1 user

atomi

Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Minnesota
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
In FL, you'd be passed by so many cars flying at 90 mph. In FL, the FLHP, Sheriff's offices won't even blink an eye at 11 mph over, at 15 you might get stopped

The 15 mph over depends almost 100% on where you get stopped (on the I's and rural or I's and metro; metro is different)

And in FL, it's a petty crime and easily discharged with an attorney... VA is a whole other ball o wax, as is MN (where I'm from; there 5 mph over you're good, but at 6? ticketed - not that I know anything about that or anything)

Read the Wikipedia article on reckless driving and every other sentence includes a qualifier for Virginia. It’s hilarious and pathetic at the same time.

Reckless driving - Wikipedia

Punishing someone with a class 1 misdemeanor for doing 11 over the speed limit (which are mostly arbitrarily set and sometimes intentionally set unreasonably low as speed traps) is in my opinion a worse crime than the speeding.

An article to give some of you all perspective:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny.../europe/germany-autobahn-speed-limit.amp.html

Some lawmakers in Virginia are fighting back, but sadly common sense is not prevailing:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...5563168f-4bc3-5dc1-92a8-9c3eb190d20a.amp.html

85 mph is a good start, but it should be at least 90 to keep with the 20 mph over limit at other speeds, and in my opinion the whole automatic reckless “by speed” is bogus to begin with.

I’m cool with it

See above
those should be felonies

I don’t even know what to say to this. Do you just not care about collateral consequences? Are you in favor of a police state? Do you understand what this means when police have the ability to stop and question you for very minor things? Perhaps we should just ban independent driving and force everyone to hire professional drivers. I mean, if it’s really all about protecting other people on the road.

It’s amazing how people can be so reasonable on some issues but then totally lose common sense when it comes to motor vehicles.

Reactions: 1 users
D

deleted480308

I don’t even know what to say to this. Do you just not care about collateral consequences? Are you in favor of a police state? Do you understand what this means when police have the ability to stop and question you for very minor things? Perhaps we should just ban independent driving and force everyone to hire professional drivers. I mean, if it’s really all about protecting other people on the road.

It’s amazing how people can be so reasonable on some issues but then totally lose common sense when it comes to motor vehicles.
I don’t find the claim that assault and DUI should be a felony to be that incomprehensible. That doesn’t at all mean a police state with being stopped over “minor things”

About the Ads

RNtoMD87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Feb 24, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
As a prior LEO, I do want to agree that “domestic abuse” shouldn’t always be a felony. I’ve had soldiers charged with domestic abuse that didn’t even hit their spouse. The spouse became angry and attacked them and they shoved them to prevent from getting hit. Result- soldier arrested, covered in cuts and scratches, wife completely fine living it up at home while he’s living in the barracks.

Parents have been charged with abuse for spanking their kids within reason. I’ve seen a man arrested for swatting his kid on the butt through pants at the store.

I would never say any charge should be blankety classified as anything. Let’s say two people get in a fight at home and it’s mutual, and the neighbor calls the cops. Should it really be a felony? I don’t think so. Now if a person beats their spouse? Or a parent truly abuses their kid? Sure. Just not black and white.

Reactions: 2 users
D

deleted480308

As a prior LEO, I do want to agree that “domestic abuse” shouldn’t always be a felony. I’ve had soldiers charged with domestic abuse that didn’t even hit their spouse. The spouse became angry and attacked them and they shoved them to prevent from getting hit. Result- soldier arrested, covered in cuts and scratches, wife completely fine living it up at home while he’s living in the barracks.

Parents have been charged with abuse for spanking their kids within reason. I’ve seen a man arrested for swatting his kid on the butt through pants at the store.

I would never say any charge should be blankety classified as anything. Let’s say two people get in a fight at home and it’s mutual, and the neighbor calls the cops. Should it really be a felony? I don’t think so. Now if a person beats their spouse? Or a parent truly abuses their kid? Sure. Just not black and white.
That’s improper prosecution/conviction, not a justification that those charges properly leveled shouldn’t be a felony

Two people agreeing to a fist fight shouldn’t be a charge for either

atomi

Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Minnesota
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I don’t find the claim that assault and DUI should be a felony to be that incomprehensible. That doesn’t at all mean a police state with being stopped over “minor things”

I disagree with you on the appropriateness of these criminal charges and classification in the criminal heirarchy. You seem more interested in moral posturing with drive by one-liner statements rather than engaging in debate and considering arguments. So yeah, fine I suppose. End of conversation.

I think anybody looking at this objectively can see how absurd Virginia’s driving laws are. They are the only state that bans radar detectors too. A passive electronic device that bothers no one. I’m sure you’re cool with that too.

LadyHalcyon

2+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2016
Status
  1. Psychologist
I disagree with you on the appropriateness of these criminal charges and classification in the criminal heirarchy. You seem more interested in moral posturing with drive by one-liner statements rather than engaging in debate and considering arguments. So yeah, fine I suppose. End of conversation.

I think anybody looking at this objectively can see how absurd Virginia’s driving laws are. They are the only state that bans radar detectors too. A passive electronic device that bothers no one. I’m sure you’re cool with that too.
Don't waste your time. He won't change his mind. Very black and white thinking patterns.

RNtoMD87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Feb 24, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I have to disagree as well. I don't really agree with the felon/misdemeanor etc classification system. For instance, if a felon serves his time, his rights should be restored upon being a "free man" again. Either you're safe to be a member of society, or you aren't.

For instance, registering as a sex offender. Either they shouldn't be classified as an offender(public urination), or they should never be free again (rapists, molestors, etc).

D

deleted480308

I'm more than willing to keep discussing all the things in the universe with you

No, there shouldn't be a ban on radar detectors

atomi

Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Minnesota
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I would never say any charge should be blankety classified as anything.

This is the key point Swanson isn’t getting or rather cares to acknowledge.

Not all DUI is the same.
Not all speeding the same.
Not all battery is the same.

When you make laws that say if you commit x crime then you are automatically bucketed into y crime and upgraded to z sentence and fine, end of story... that deprives people of justice given that we live in a world now where we are punished for simply being CHARGED with something even if we are not convicted.

I am having to explain why I was CHARGED with a class 1 misdemeanor on my medical license application. Thanks Virginia! You did your part to try and make sure monsters like me can’t become productive members of society!

atomi

Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Minnesota
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm more than willing to keep discussing all the things in the universe with you

No, there shouldn't be a ban on radar detectors

Ok. We’re getting somewhere. Now why do you think Virginia bans radar detectors but also sets speed traps and enacts laws that drastically expand the officers ability to issue a charge of reckless driving based on moderate speeding? Do you think these two facets of Virginia law are not related? And perhaps are an abuse of power by the state?

D

deleted480308

This is the key point Swanson isn’t getting or rather cares to acknowledge.

Not all DUI is the same.
Not all speeding the same.
Not all battery is the same.

When you make laws that say if you commit x crime then you are automatically bucketed into y crime and upgraded to z sentence and fine, end of story... that deprives people of justice given that we live in a world now where we are punished for simply being CHARGED with something even if we are not convicted.

I am having to explain why I was CHARGED with a class 1 misdemeanor on my medical license application. Thanks Virginia! You did your part to try and make sure monsters like me can’t become productive members of society!
the problem there is with the application system, not the law

No one should be asking you about charges without convictions

RNtoMD87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Feb 24, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Even if convicted, you’re basically saying you agree to mandatory minimums, which are stupid. Every single case should be considered individually based on circumstances.

Raindrop Cake

2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2018
Status
  1. Medical Student
No, you're putting up a straw man. I've been driving for almost 2 decades and currently live in VA (and have lived and/or driven in most states in this country). I have plenty of perspective, and I didn't say anything about impeding traffic. I would not and did not argue that you should drive the speed limit if it would impede traffic and make it dangerous.

Your previous posts suggested otherwise IMHO, but I'm glad we're in agreement.

Everyone benefits from listening to the perspectives of others. Doesn't matter how much perspective you think you already have on an issue.

LebronManning

MS-1
2+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2017
Pac-12
Status
  1. Medical Student
they should be felonies, no need to build strawmen

You're welcome to disagree if you like

I think your problem is a misunderstanding between what misdemeanors and felonies are supposed to be. Felony is for serious crimes that carry a minimum sentence of one year in prison.

According to you, every parent in america that spanks their kid lightly for something should be a convicted felon never allowed to vote and go to jail for at least one year since it is battery. That's not a strawman. That's literally what you're saying. I'm assuming you don't actually think that. Which brings us back to the point, not all crimes even within the same crime are the same.

D

deleted480308

I think your problem is a misunderstanding between what misdemeanors and felonies are supposed to be. Felony is for serious crimes that carry a minimum sentence of one year in prison.

According to you, every parent in america that spanks their kid lightly for something should be a convicted felon never allowed to vote and go to jail for at least one year since it is battery. That's not a strawman. That's literally what you're saying. I'm assuming you don't actually think that. Which brings us back to the point, not all crimes even within the same crime are the same.
Spanking a child is not assault and should not be a felony, you aren’t even good at strawmen

RNtoMD87

Membership Revoked
Removed
Feb 24, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
You haven't answered my response on how "x crime should be a y" is pretty analogous to mandatory minimums

LebronManning

MS-1
2+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2017
Pac-12
Status
  1. Medical Student
Spanking a child is not assault and should not be a felony, you aren’t even good at strawmen

It's always sad to see grown men say anything just so they don't have to say "I was wrong." Spanking a child certainly meets the definition of battery. You have stated battery should be a felony. Done

D

deleted480308

It's always sad to see grown men say anything just so they don't have to say "I was wrong." Spanking a child certainly meets the definition of battery. You have stated battery should be a felony. Done
No, it shouldn’t. Repeating yourself doesn’t make you any more right

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Ads