Acceptance rescinded for not meeting projected hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maybedoc1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’ve been accepted to a few MD schools now and I’m wondering about the consequences of not meeting my projected hours for one activity. I started volunteering for a second crisis hotline sometime last summer and projected 200 hours on my AMCAS application. Currently I’m sitting at a little over 50 hours of volunteering with them. When I started the activity, I had every intention of finishing all of those hours, but other things have come up since then. I currently work a very exhausting EMS type job where I am gone for about 60 hours a week. Truthfully, I am very burned out from this job, and the last thing I want to do on my weekends is crisis counseling. While it can be very fulfilling, it’s also pretty exhausting. I’m wondering if not meeting these projected hours could have an acceptance rescinded? If I need to finish the 200 hours I can, but at this point I would prefer not to. I start school relatively soon and I want to be as fresh as possible. Right now, I am crispy.

Members don't see this ad.

You will be fine!

Life happened, and you ended up not being to do them all. It is not like you intentionally misrepresented your intentions to continue the volunteering when you submitted your AMCAS.

I am sure adcoms take "projected hours" with a grain of salt anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need to finish it. Schools understand that things happen: thats why most schools take projected hours with a grain of salt. Plus once youre accepted..... thats the least priority. Schools are worried about waitlist!

So what keeps someone from projecting most of their hours and completing me extracurriculars during the app cycle? If I understand correctly you can project all the way through August of the year you matriculate.

For instance, can we project clinical hours to do everything after Covid for those that are having problems locating clinical hours?

So what keeps someone from projecting most of their hours and completing me extracurriculars during the app cycle? If I understand correctly you can project all the way through August of the year you matriculate.
Because like we were saying before, projected hours are just that- projected. They are not accounted for the same ways as hours already completed. Theres nothing from stopping you doing that, thats what I did and many others do. But they only count for so much. You have to distinguish what you've done and whats projected.

Reactions: 1 user
For instance, can we project clinical hours to do everything after Covid for those that are having problems locating clinical hours?
No

That’s like saying “I’m projected to get a 4.0, 528mcat, and win the nobel prize, accept me now” 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Nothing, although, if you apply with almost no completed hours and a ton of projected hours, I'd think you'd REALLY need to complete most of those projected hours for your reapplication cycle. :cool:

There’s also nothing stopping you from applying with a 2.1/475. If you want to “project” your entire app, go for it.

There’s also nothing stopping you from applying with a 2.1/475. If you want to “project” your entire app, go for it.
I wasn’t talking about me personally. I have tons of ECs including more than 2500 clinical hours and counting.