1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Acceptance to UCLA or UCSF

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by joooj86, Apr 7, 2004.

1. joooj86

joooj86 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was reading about how hard it is to get accepted to UCLA or UCSF if you arn't a resident of california. I would appreciate it if somebody thats not a resident but got accepted would share which state they are a resident of, undergrad school, stats Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pixies_fan

pixies_fan Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi. I didn't apply to UCLA, but I applied to UCSF and got accepted.

state of residence: WI
    Undergrad school/major: University of Wisconsin-Madison/Biochemistry
    Stats: 3.9 GPA, 22/22/18

let me know if you have further questions

4. HBomb

HBomb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

yikes!!! 3.9 22/22/18. joooj, I think you just got your answer!

5. Shomeda$

Shomeda$ Member
    7+ Year Member

It's pretty much like this...if you aren't a CA resident, you'd better have stats similar to the pixie kid, otherwise you have a snowballs chance in hell.

6. ecdoesit

ecdoesit DDS/MS
    7+ Year Member

Dont turn away just yet
    Well, once again, sdn stats is higher than average.
    I read somewhere that there are 5 slots open for out-of-state residents. UCSF strikes me as a school that doesnt stress too much on just stats. Your background and personal hardship are as important. Who knows, given the financial crisis, they closed the hygene sch to make rooms for training international dentists to increase their revenue. The number of out of state people may increase, who knows. It doesnt make any sense to me that more international dentists while not expanding the number of domestic American dentists.

Another thing is percentage count. Since state schools are so harsh on non-residents, not that many out-of-staters will apply. My guess is that the percent of acceptance is just slightly lower for out of staters, but not by much.

The bottomline is your stats should at least be above the class average, but need not to be as high as pixies_fan. Since I am sure pixies_fan will get in whichever sch he/she applies with an abundant of scholarship to choose.

7. toothpixie

toothpixie tutu-licious.
    7+ Year Member

Amen to that. Joooj, i must say that i TOTALLY agree with ecdoesit. Very valid points there.

Best Wishes to you!
    Sincerely, Sujain

8. joooj86

joooj86 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Cool 3.9 in Biochem with 22 in DATs GREAT!!! Well that maybe too much but maybe its not!! I guess i get the point!! Thanks for your help

9. ecdoesit

ecdoesit DDS/MS
    7+ Year Member

For some reason, I thought the average stat for SF is around 3.5.
    I got accepted to SF too, but I am sure I dont have ur stat, noodletw. Congrad for ur hard work, noodletw and pixies_fan.

10. Christofurrr

Christofurrr Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow, nice stats. I'm applying soon and I'm at UC Davis, nowhere near either of your GPA's. I don't know if i should even try for UCSF anymore, will anyways, but yeah just had to say good job with doing well in college and all that. :clap:

11. rcmonkeypie

rcmonkeypie Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, christofurrr:

you should try UCSF. I believe that schools do look at over all package. well, unless you have a 1.1 gpa and 1/1 dat. I don't have stellar gpa. But, I got accepted to both uc's. good luck to you.