joooj86

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
Status
I was reading about how hard it is to get accepted to UCLA or UCSF if you arn't a resident of california. I would appreciate it if somebody thats not a resident but got accepted would share which state they are a resident of, undergrad school, stats Thanks

pixies_fan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2003
Visit site
Status
Hi. I didn't apply to UCLA, but I applied to UCSF and got accepted.

state of residence: WI
Undergrad school/major: University of Wisconsin-Madison/Biochemistry
Stats: 3.9 GPA, 22/22/18

let me know if you have further questions

About the Ads

Shomeda$

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
Visit site
Status
It's pretty much like this...if you aren't a CA resident, you'd better have stats similar to the pixie kid, otherwise you have a snowballs chance in hell.

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Status
Dont turn away just yet
Well, once again, sdn stats is higher than average.
I read somewhere that there are 5 slots open for out-of-state residents. UCSF strikes me as a school that doesnt stress too much on just stats. Your background and personal hardship are as important. Who knows, given the financial crisis, they closed the hygene sch to make rooms for training international dentists to increase their revenue. The number of out of state people may increase, who knows. It doesnt make any sense to me that more international dentists while not expanding the number of domestic American dentists.

Another thing is percentage count. Since state schools are so harsh on non-residents, not that many out-of-staters will apply. My guess is that the percent of acceptance is just slightly lower for out of staters, but not by much.

The bottomline is your stats should at least be above the class average, but need not to be as high as pixies_fan. Since I am sure pixies_fan will get in whichever sch he/she applies with an abundant of scholarship to choose.

toothpixie

tutu-licious.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2004
vegas slot machine.
Visit site
Status
Amen to that. Joooj, i must say that i TOTALLY agree with ecdoesit. Very valid points there.

Best Wishes to you!
Sincerely, Sujain

joooj86

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2003
Chicago
Visit site
Status
Cool 3.9 in Biochem with 22 in DATs GREAT!!! Well that maybe too much but maybe its not!! I guess i get the point!! Thanks for your help

ecdoesit

DDS/MS
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Status
For some reason, I thought the average stat for SF is around 3.5.
I got accepted to SF too, but I am sure I dont have ur stat, noodletw. Congrad for ur hard work, noodletw and pixies_fan.

Christofurrr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2003
Burlingame CA
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Wow, nice stats. I'm applying soon and I'm at UC Davis, nowhere near either of your GPA's. I don't know if i should even try for UCSF anymore, will anyways, but yeah just had to say good job with doing well in college and all that. :clap:

rcmonkeypie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2003
LA, CA
Visit site
Status
Hi, christofurrr:

you should try UCSF. I believe that schools do look at over all package. well, unless you have a 1.1 gpa and 1/1 dat. I don't have stellar gpa. But, I got accepted to both uc's. good luck to you.

About the Ads