1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Acceptance Withdrawal Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Homer Simpson, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What's the etiquette regarding withdrawing from schools that have already accepted you? Should you write an email since that would be the fastest route, should you write a letter, or should you write both? Do you have to remind them tactfully to return your deposit, or do you just hope that they'll remember and send your check back?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mlle3000

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i actually had a school instruct me to send an email since it was faster, but i would go ahead and send a letter as a back-up as well. and i would definitely remind them of the deposit in a tactful way (i.e. giving mailing instructions for returning the deposit of $X to whatever address). i don't think it is necessary, but i also included a sentence or two complimenting the school (i chose to do so just because i thought their office did a great job at keeping me updated of my status, etc...), but a simple "thank you for your consideration/acceptance" would be fine as well.

4. GuzzyRon

GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You may send an email but certainly send a simple letter basically telling them "thanks, but no thanks." Send the letter with delivery confirmation and/or signature confirmation. Make sure to keep your receipt because that is your only proof that you withdrew before the deadline. And no it's not necessary to remind them give you your money back. The letter you're sending serves a dual purpose - to withdraw and to ask for a refund. If you don't get your money back after one month, it won't be a bad idea to give them a "what's up" call.

5. VanillaBeans

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do we need to withdraw acceptances by May 1?
    Have your schools sent any info besides the deposit...any more formal papers?