Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Acceptances and interviews into late Feb...now what?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by nevinleiby, Dec 22, 2008.

1. nevinleiby

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    After the initial bounding around the room celebrating my first acceptance, I'm starting to get a little concerned...

I have about 7 interviews at different DO schools - 3 in January and 2 in February. My top choice school interview is my 6th interview in the cycle...and late February =(

But how much is paying the deposit to hold my spot at a school going to affect my chances at my top choice? How many schools are most of you depositing to concurrently?

I haven't researched all of the deposit schedules yet, but I intend to professional fulfill the minimum non-refundable payment schedule (eg, the first one only unless a big deadline comes up) for any school that I would definitely go to. I'm also interested in the other schools and I intend to go to each of them to interview see if its a good/better fit for me.

Thoughts? (other than being honest and straightforward about interviews/acceptances as I have done so far).

Edit: All programs considered at DO programs

#1 nevinleiby, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Chocolate Bear

Chocolate Bear Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

None. Zero. How could it? Maybe I'm confused or your wording is unclear.

4. 213965

MDApps:
    Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Yeah, I think you're allowed to throw down as many deposits as you want (or can afford) and as far as I know other schools can't see where else you've applied to or been accepted.

5. stn1983

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    wow 7 interviews and 1 acceptance? May I ask what your stats are like? That's very impressive.

6. nevinleiby

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think so. I was asked point blank at my last interview: "So I see that you applied to 13 allopathic schools and 10 osteopathic schools. Would you still consider allopathic medicine?"

I had heard from other applicants that adcoms often were in contact with each other, but I don't really understand how considering the number of applicants. Besides, I can't imagine them saying "Hey, what do you know about _X_?"

I could understand if they could see or be in touch with osteopathic schools, but I was struck by the fact that they could see allopathic schools. That is an entirely different application!

So yeah...a little concerned/paranoid...I'm hoping to get in! =)

Thanks, but not as good as many of the others I've seen on SDN-DO. Average/mediocre MCAT with great gpa, LORs (2 MD, 2 DO), ~usual shadowing and a few hours of shadowing at an OMT/acupuncture clinic, and probably the life experience of a 50 year old. Very humbling though considering the stats of others! You guys definitely rock that test!! :thumbup::thumbup:

3.80 undergrad Info Tech, 3.96 post-bacc (prereqs), 8/15/08 26P (9/7P/B10)

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=11682

7. Chocolate Bear

Adcoms do not know where you have deposits/interviews/acceptances unless you tell them. They usually couldn't care less, and this paranoia should be thrown out the window and not be allowed to influence your decision. Put down deposits wherever you feel like.

8. tdittyx2x3

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    OP, I'm not sure I understand why you are concerned. You already have an acceptance, that's great. You have an endless round of interviews- so many you'll be tired of hearing the same selling points packaged up and rattled off at every school you go to (I did just as many so I know). This is also great because you are opening up options.

Don't worry about interviewing late either. Plenty of people will be admitted at that time. I know its easy to think about this process too much, but try not to. Just stay enthusiastic at your interviews and I suspect at the end of the day you will have a few options. That's when the real trouble starts. :)

Agreed. Each school judged and made a decision on you, and its completely fair for you to make your own decision on each of them once you have options.

9. Sandlot13

Sandlot13 ER = love
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    here's what I would do.....

put the deposit down on your first acceptance. Then, as you go through the rest of your interviews and acceptances, evaluate each one individually. If one school beats out the other, place a deposit at that one. If the next school doesnt, politely decline its acceptance offer and move on down the line that way. In the end you could have possibly put down some serious money in deposits, but you cant put a price on the best med school for you.

good luck ;)

10. singinfifi

singinfifi Professional Insomniac
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    My interview at Nova was in Feb. It was the last interview I accepted (talk about suck) and by the time my tours and stuff of the school were over, it had been elevated to my top choice. Previously, I had placed my deposit at WVSOM (which I LOVED).

I was asked point blank in my interview about my applications:

"I see you've applied to X DO schools (I don't even remember) and 4 MD schools (I applied to the instate MD's), how has the interview cycle been for you so far and what are your intentions from here"

Talk about blunt. They were straight up asking me if I'd been offered a seat anywhere else, and if I'd still consider their school if they offered me a seat. yikes.

Honesty is the best policy. I simply told them that I had been given a secondary to every school I applied to and had been asked to interview at all but 3. I told them I'd decided to attend 6 interviews thus far out of those I'd been offered (nova being #7) and had been accepted everywhere I'd interviewed but had placed a deposit down at another school that I liked a lot (they then proceeded to ask me which school!). I also told them that I would attend Nova (which had elevated itself to my first choice by this point) over the school I'd already paid a deposit to for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being that it was closer to home and an environment I was more used to (I went to undergrad in a VERY similar setting).

In the end, I wound up eating the 2,000 deposit to WVSOM and declining my seat when NSU accepted me in late march/early april (that wait was AWFUL).

It was wroth every penny though because even while I was waiting, I knew I was going to be a doctor and that I was going to go to an increadable school.

I got lucky with the deposits. I did NOT like the first school I was accepted to at all, so I didn't even consider placing a deposit there. The other 5 of my interviews invites I accepted were ALL in January and very close together, and I was fortunate that the acceptances came at the same time too, so I was able to choose just one of those (WVSOM) to place a deposit at. If I had had more of a gap between interviews I might have wound up putting down several deposits, and while it would have been TOTALLY worth it...it would have been expensive like woah.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you get into your top choice :) Like everyone else said, you can put deposits at as many schools as you want (well...or as many as you can afford, whichever comes first!), and you shouldn't stress too much about this. I was in a really similar situation to yours ("late" interview at my top choice and all) and it worked out great for me.

:)

Go get 'em!

11. rajaholick

10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    i have no idea how they would know how many schools you've applied to unless you told them and dont remember
    i highly doubt adcoms are allowed to share that kind of information

12. rkaz

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I wonder how they have any idea how many MD schools you have applied to????

For instance, in my case, I was application happy in the beginning and submitted primaries for about 70 MD schools (don't ask) and 18 DO schools.... I do NOT want to be a re-applicant next year, so I was just trying to increase my chances by applying widely. However, I only completed about 25 MD secondaries and 10 DO secondaries. (I got secondaries at all DO schools, and have another 25 MD secondaries that I never bothered to complete, as I was getting overwhelmed trying to finish secondaries and schoolwork.)

If I am asked how many schools I applied to, I will simply say honestly that I completed secondaries for 25 MD and 10 DO schools. I cannot imagine saying that I applied to nearly 90 schools, as I have no idea why I submitted so many primaries, and to so many schools that I really wasn't interested in going to... just for kicks, I guess. I seriously hope they don't see the original 70 MD schools, that would be killer for my application.

13. Chocolate Bear

Because she's talking about Nova, and they ask which DO and MD schools you applied to in there secondary application. Most schools do not do this, though.