Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Viv

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, please post the school(s) you got accepted to and what you think about the school(s) you got accepted to or interviewed at and what school you considered going to. By the way, did anyone hear from Touro yet? What do you think about the new location and facility that Touro will be moving to?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Viv-

I just heard from TUCOM yesterday - Alternate List. I got an acceptance from UOMHS, so I'll probably go there. I really liked their program. I interviewed at COMP last week and I was pretty impressed. It would really be a difficult decision if I was offered an acceptance. The weather would sure be alot nicer in S. Cal as opposed to Iowa! Have you heard back from any schools yet? It was great meeting you at TUCOM. Take care & good luck!!

Stef

Hi Stef, haven't heard from TUCOM but I got accepted to COMP and AZCOM. I turned down AZCOM but placed a deposit at COMP. Now, I'm waiting for TUCOM. I turned down all my other interview offers as well. Kinda strange how you heard from TUCOM sooner than I did and I only live 45 min. from the school. It doesn't seem like a good sign. Anyways, it was my pleasure meeting you cause now I can put a face to your name. So your decision will be between COMP and UOMHS? you'll have a good chance getting in TUCOM if you got on the alternate list. Cause like they said, the list will be very long and more likely than not that they will take 65 more people from the list. Take care and I will keep you updated if I get anything from TUCOM but doesn't seem like a good sign since it came so late. Viviane

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! I just found this site, after being lost for so long what with the disappearance of Osteopathic.net!
Got accepted to UMDNJ-SOM in October...I liked it a lot and will probably go there unless I hear from PCOM -- and I hope to!

Hi all, just got my letter from TUCOM. They wanted $1000 deposit to reserve a seat. That's expensive! Anyways, can you guys give me the pro's and con's in choosing TUCOM vs. COMP or vice versa? Any feedback will be appreciated. To Stef, do you think you will consider TUCOM if they do get approval from the AOA? Viviane

Viv, what is the situation with TUCOM's rotations? Are they set up? If not, I'd go with COMP (no offense to TUCOM). While COMP's aren't perfect, they aren't bad. I also got the impression that they are really working to improve them by adding a new medical facility to their list of rotation sites (apparently a big one S. Cali). I may be wrong, so someone feel free to correct me.

Gregory Gulick

Viv,

I would choose COMP. My main fear about TUCOM is that they are too new and you never know if they are stable financially. That's the one thing that really impressed me about COMP, they have a huge alumni network that obviously keeps the school in a great financial situation. The main teaching hospital at COMP is the San Bernadino County Medical Center, which is affiliated with not only COMP but UC Irvine and Loma Linda. Another thing to consider is that going to a new school may make it difficult for residency directors to compare you to other med school graduates, because they don't have previous classes to measure you by. My two cents.

EDGAR

I got accepted to COMP and AZCOM and wait-listed at UHS. AZCOM has a great program and it is nice that there is only 1 medical school in the state of Arizona besides AZCOM (you won't be fighting with other med students for rotations). The only bad thing about COMP is that the Southern Cal area is saturated with med schools (about 4 other schools besides COMP). It was a hard choice between AZCOM and COMP, but the weather is too hot for me in AZ and I'd like to stay in-state to keep airfare costs down between my parents' house and school during vacations.

EDGAR

Viv, I agree with Edgar on all of his points. When you are dealing with a school in California, you need to be concerned about rotations. AZCOM, another new school, doesn't have the same challenge TUCOM faces. As Edgar pointed out, AZCOM just moved into the nice Phoenix hospitals and setup rotations because no one else was using them. In California, TUCOM cannot do this. They've either got to settle for really small, distant hospitals, or chase other schools out of the local ones.

If it were me, I'd go to COMP. Besides, I was very impressed with the school. Although watch out ... I hear the my buddy Edgar is going there and he is one of those amazingly brilliant students who will have earned a masters degree before medical school. I also hear he has a tendency to set curves on exams. So stick close to him and he'll teach you everything you need to know. ;-)

Gregory Gulick
http://www.osteopathic.com/gregory

[This message has been edited by Gregory Gulick (edited 11-18-98).]

Hi Viv,

Congrats on the TUCOM acceptance! After visiting COMP, I'm really in agreement with Edgar & Gregory. I just didn't see any comparison between TUCOM & COMP. I would definitely go with COMP. There is a certain amount of excitement in going to a newer program, but for me, the risks outweigh the positives. My main concern is with residencies. I want to have the best opportunities possible and with a new school, there's bound to be some discrimination. This isn't fair, but we've all heard that a big part of getting residencies is connections & networking. I would fear not being taken as seriously as other applicants. For example, my D.O. teaches in a Family Practice residency program and he had never heard of TUCOM. On the other hand, I was impressed with TUCOM's curriculum and think they would offer a great education. For me, I'd just rather not suffer through the growing pains of a new school when I can attend one that is very established and already well respected. I know there are people that will disagree, but these are just my personal thoughts. Ultimately, though, this is a decision that everyone must make for themselves for their own reasons. There's my 10 cents (too long for just 2 cents!) Good luck with your decision! Keep me posted...

Stef

Viv and the gang,

I talked with my friend about her opinions about TUCOM and COMP and she agreed with me that a student would get messed up if TUCOM went under and that student couldn't get a transfer anywhere else. I know that TUCOM does have some good clinical facilities, Kaiser Vallejo and St. Mary's Medical Center (UCSF affiliation) but my concern is that Stanford and UCSF Med are so close to TUCOM that they can bump TUCOM students out if they wanted rotations there. COMP has more clout with San Bernadino County Med Center because they have a formal affiliation agreement and run an AOA-approved internship/residency program. Viv, it also depends on whether you like living in the Bay Area more than Southern Cal. I'm from the East Bay and like it here, but I don't think the Bay Area is as exciting as LA. Good luck with your decision.

P.S. Gregory has been studying too much, he is confusing all of you guys for myself. All of you guys are going to be teaching me the ropes in med school because my memory just isn't quite the same since I've taken the April MCAT!

EDGAR

I've recently been accepted to COMP as well, still waiting for other schools. But while we're on the topic can anyone give us some feedback on which DO schools would high profile residency directors (Harvard, Yale etc) look favorably towards? I know COMP and NOVA have been placing kids in these kinds of places. Can someone compare KCOM, COMP, NOVA, MSUCOM with regards to their attractiveness/preparedness for high profile residencies?

regards,
mack

Mack,

The info sheet I got from COMP says that many grads have go into AMA-residencies at all the UCs, Stanford, Loma Linda, USC, Harvard, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Einstein, Yale. One of my interviewers had a student to matched at Yale Med in Emergency Medicine (very competitive speciality).

Gregory Gulick's (a buddy of mine) has a link on ONet here which gives the CVs of many DOs. MSUCOM grads have gone to University of Chicago for Anesthesiology. In fact, you will see that many DO schools have graduates at prestigious allopathic and osteopathic residencies. But the fact of the matter is the student, NOT the institution that determines admission to a competitive residency. It is a very competitive profession we are getting into, and so strive for top grades and COMLEX/USMLE scores during medical school. Good luck.

EDGAR

Members don't see this ad :)
Edgar,

Yes I realize that. But does the institution make any difference? for example should I chose KCOM over COMP or NOVA, If I had to?
Or else maybe I should ask, which DO programs offer you the easiest/most amount of exposure to these kind of rotations. For example you're right I noticed COMP prides itself in their residency placements, whereas
KCOM seems to be more interested in placing people in smaller communities. Do you think then that COMP would offer more opportunities for higher profile placement or does it still not matter?

thanks

ps. I'm genuinly confused b/c until know I was focusing on getting into a DO program and now I have to look further!

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback and I apologize because this post will be a bit long.

As much as I would like to attend COMP, I prefer staying in the Bay Area. But I still haven't made up my mind which school yet. Anyways, it seems any school in California is bound to have a great future because so many people prefer schools in CA. With Stanford, UCSF and UCD all located very close by, wouldn't you think TUCOM will have the same future given time? So far, they just haven't had a good start because they are sharing facility and lectures with the podiatric students. I wouldn't expect anyone to have positive feelings about the school looking at the facility in SF (I don't). However, there are just so much resources around here and so many hospitals unaffiliated with any schools. I attended a Bay Area Osteopathic meeting last May in Oakland and I met many great DO's graduating from all over US. Seems like the Bay Area Osteopathic Association is backing the school up - the future of the school is on their agenda. Wouldn't you think TUCOM will try to get affiliation with those DO's for clinical preceptorships? The new location that they are moving to, although is still underconstruction, looks very promising. There is a hospital nearby which is not affilitated with any school and TUCOM will try to get affiliation with that hospital. They will also open up their own clinic at the new facility as soon as they moved. They will also move their other programs from New York to the new facility. I'm not favoring TUCOM over COMP by telling you guys these things but it seems like I only hear negatives about TUCOM and not both sides of the issue. And about COMP, I am really impressed with the programs they have and the new building (shopping mall), that is why I wanted to attend the school. However, they are pretty unstable with the rotations as well because I heard that they have been sending students to AZ for rotations, but now with AZCOM, COMP students don't get the same preference they once got. Plus, the new library that are still underconstruction will not be done until the year 2000. Kinda long for renovations don't you think? I am bringing these issues up because again I feel that we should discuss both sides of the issue. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong on any of these, that is why I wanted to get some feedback from you guys to add to the information I've already gathered. I want to know what you guys hear about the schools through the grapevine. Again, thanks guys for the feedback. Viviane

[This message has been edited by Viv (edited 11-18-98).]

By the way, congratulations to all of you who got accepted especially Stef, Gregory and Edgar, you guys and many others have come a long way and now finally awaiting to matriculate. It's been a great many months chatting to you all about primary and supplemental applications, then about interviews and now about what school to go to. It has been a long and arduous process, I commented you all on that. Again Congratulations!!! and good luck. Viviane

Viv,

Congratulations on your acceptance offers also, I know you have been working very hard on your applications and interviews. TUCOM seems like a good school, I think they are going to do okay. It was interesting though, the DO I used to volunteer with had his name on the clinical faculty roster for the OMT department. I asked him about it, and he said he didn't know anything about that. He said that they probably put him on the faculty because he attended some meeting regarding the school. It got me worried because they were putting faculty on the catalog without notifying those doctors! My guess is that they just put all Bay Area DOs on their faculty list because they are on the AOA roster. Choose the school that you would most like to go to though, you seem like you will be happy at TUCOM. Good luck,
and again, congratulations.

EDGAR

Mack,

Just to answer your question, a major reason why I chose COMP is because of the success of the graduates. I'm from California and am interested in doing a University of California residency (I might do a DO internship)and surfing the Web I've noticed that there are a lot of DOs doing primary care residencies at UCLA, UC Davis, UC Irvine who are COMP graduates. I'm biased, I love the Southern California lifestyle and COMP grads do so well in their residencies (many become chief residents) that I chose COMP hands down. NOVA is very good also, my pal Gregory Gulick will probably be attending that school in the fall. Ask Gregory, he works with a DO affiliated with osteopathic.com that is a resident at Yale Med in Anesthesiology. As far as KCOM, I have heard that some people that graduate from that school think they are superior because they get "the best" OMT training of any DO school. Maybe I'm not impressed with the school because my application is on hold, I don't know. But it is true, I have not seen many high profile DOs coming out of KCOM. I think most KCOM graduates seem to do osteopathic residencies. You might want to talk to graduates of the schools or the admissions office to see where people have done their residencies. Good luck.

EDGAR

High profile KCOM graduates? What do you mean? Did you know that the current AOA president is a KCOM graduate? Who do you think is filling up the spots in Neurosurgery and orthopedic surgery residencies among DO's? There are so many misconceptions about KCOM here. OTM/OMM/OPP isn't our main strenght. Last years class mean on the COMLEX Step 1 was 15-20 above the overall mean in every category, except for Behavioral Science!

If you have any questions and want KCOM students to answer it please go to
http://kcom-sga.threadnet.com/
and post your Q's there cause most of us don't have the time to surf the net. Lucky enough, I'm one of the student ambassadors and I want to promote my school...of course as objectively as I could
smile.gif

If you surf on our website long enough, you might also find out where we do our rotations...surprise, they're not in small communities as some of you might think. In fact KCOM has so many choices for rotations it's confusing the hell out of everybody here at KCOM.

This will be my last entry for now...you may reach me at our website. To the prospective KCOM students, try to visit it. It will help you decide whether to have that "Kirksville experience" or not.

[This message has been edited by victor (edited 12-15-98).]

Mack,

I played around on the Net last night and I used the AMA doctor finder and typed in a bunch of DOs that are clinical professors at COMP. The theme about DOs doing high profile residencies (allopathic) is that most compete well with MDs in primary care/non-surgical specialities. If you want to do a high-profile MD surgery residency, it may be an uphill battle. Many DOs who are surgeons either do osteopathic or military residencies (which are AMA-approved). And so if you want to get a "high profile" allopathic residency in family med/internal med subspecialties you won't be hindered by the DO degree. For now, it is very rare for a DO surgeon to have done their residency at an MD program (though DO surgeons often do fellowships in MD programs). I have an MD surgeon friend who says there is still some discrimination against DO surgeons, and I once heard from a UC Irvine residency director that this is still the case at his institution. Hope this helps, there are always exceptions to the rule even in surgery though. Victor, I'm sorry I dissed your school. I don't really know much about it, and so it is out of ignorance that I made those comments. You guys must be good since you were the first DO school founded by A.T. Still.

Good luck all,

EDGAR

Hello and congratulations!
I surprisingly received an acceptance letter from COMP - had a terrible interview and thought there was no chance in @#$@.
Interviewed last week at UOMHS and loved it! The interview panel was exceptionally warm and welcoming, and the students were excited about the OMM training they received. One clinical D.O. on the panel teaches physical diagnosis and she was phenomenal! I look forward to hearing from them before making a decision. (It is definitely nice to ponder having a choice!)

Edgar, can I add something to your statement on D.O.s doing M.D. surgical residencies? One thing the original poster should keep in mind is that neither the D.O. or M.D. degree can guarantee that you will land ANY surgical residencies. They are intensely competitive. And as the saying goes, it is not what you know, it is who you know. If you are an outgoing person and you can make some contacts, you will exponentially increase your chances of making it in. It helps when the individuals selecting residents can put a face to a name. I doubt that they often say to each other, "Hey, this student graduated from X medical school, he must be absolutely amazing." Instead, I think they would be more likely to say, "Ah yes, student X did an elective rotation [or rotating internship] here with me and he did quite well. I'd love to bring him aboard."

Just some thoughts.

Gregory Gulick

[This message has been edited by Gregory Gulick (edited 11-19-98).]

Although this topic probably doesn't belong here. I sense a downplaying of osteopathic surgical residencies relative to the ACGME surgical residencies. Does it matter which you do if you want to be a surgeon? The only reason I ask is everyone talks about going to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford and says D.O. surgeons usually did osteopathic residencies. So... who cares? This is good, right? Please clarify -- I am confused!

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say hi. I am accepted to and will be attending KCOM starting in the fall.

Carrie

I wasn't downplaying osteopathic residencies at all. I was responding to an initial post from someone who, for whatever reason, is intent on pursuing an M.D. residency. That's fine, I believe we should all have the freedom to do as we wish after graduation.

At present, I plan to go osteopathic all the way (internal medicine, most likely). I'd love to stay in Florida and ultimately practice somewhere like Largo, Florida (a predominantly D.O. city with some nice hospitals). But I'm lucky -- Florida is a pretty good state for osteopathic GME. Other D.O.s, wishing to return "home" may opt for an M.D. program simply because there are little to no OGME programs in their home state. Still others may opt for an M.D. program because they're about as osteopathically minded as the late Richard Nixon (for those of you unfamiliar with osteopathic history, he supported the illegality of osteopathic medicine in California during the 1960's).

I'm all for someone getting into the best residency program they can, D.O. or M.D. For some, "best" means "anything M.D." or Harvard, Yale, yada yada yada. For others, like myself, "best" means close to family, large geriatric population and preferbly osteopathic.

To each their own, I suppose.

Gregory Gulick

Carrie, Dena, congrats you two! That's great! It is nice to be meeting other future D.O.s here.

Dena, my interview at COMP was hardly warm and friendly like yours. Like you, I was accepted. I'm thinking maybe the school purposefully plans this.

Gregory Gulick

Hey y'all,

I originally responded to Mack's question about "prestigious" M.D. residencies. As for myself, I come from California where DO's were outlawed and forced to become M.D.'s by the state legislature. As a result, there are very few D.O. residencies for me to consider, other than the ones Western University of Health Sciences runs. I hope this will change with the growth of TUCOM. My desire is to practice family medicine in California, and so I must do a residency here. DO residencies are very competitive and prestigious, and so myself and other Californians would be arrogant to only consider an osteopathic medical residency. Out of the 10 medical schools in my home state, 8 are allopathic. And so I may need to focus my energy on programs that will give me the best chance of getting in. When I first found this BBS, I noticed that everybody was primarily interested in MD rather than DO residencies. I finally learned from people in the know that you will be a DO whether you do an MD or DO residency. Chances are that most, if not all of us will take both the COMLEX and USMLE after our second year of medical school to cover all the bases anyway. I'm proud of my friend Gregory, he wants to be 100% pure DO and I know he will be a great doctor. As I see it, there really isn't much difference in the way MDs and DOs are trained these days anyway, many DOs flatly refuse to administer OMT to their patients.

EDGAR

While I can say that I love this profession that I've been an unofficial part of for several years, I must also state that my first loyalty is to my family. So while I would love to do an osteopathic residency and sincerely hope I can, there still are a limited number of slots available here in Florida -- not enough for everyone that might want one. Thus, if it comes down to doing an AOA residency out-of-state vs. an ACGME residency in-state, I would probably have to opt for the ACGME residency.

My second loyalty is to the geriatric profession (I'm a gerontologist, for those of you that don't know me). And because I want to be a board-certified geriatrician, I face another obstacle: there are only 4 AOA geriatric fellowship slots nationwide (none in Florida). And if I do an AOA residency and an ACGME fellowship, I may not be able to sit for either the AOA or AMA specialty board exams (I know a geriatrician that had this problem). This would not be good. But hopefully there will be more AOA geriatric fellowships opening up in the next few years. Rumor has it that NSUCOM is considering starting one. And they should! Florida is the geriatric capital of the world!!

So I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not "AOA or BUST" or anti-ACGME. I'd prefer to do an AOA residency, but if it doesn't work out with my family or career plans then I won't sacrifice everything in order to do an AOA residency.

Gregory Gulick
http://www.osteopathic.net/gregory

Hi guys, thanks for clarifying that. When I think about which residency I will do (MD or DO) I don't get to far. My first interview is at NSUCOM on the 30th (changed from the 27th) and so I guess I am more focused on whether I'll get in or not. You guys are lucky that you know you'll be DOs for sure. Gregory, how long did NSUCOM say it would take to get back to you? Hopefully next year at this time, we'll BOTH be at NSUCOM.

2003, they told me I would hear something 3-4 weeks after the interview. I wish they were as fast as COMP! They mailed an acceptance letter two days after the interview!!!

E-mail me at [email protected] if you want to talk about the interview day, etc.

Gregory Gulick

Hi guys,

Congrats, Dena on the COMP acceptance! I got an acceptance from them yesterday, much to my surprise, too. I never dreamed I'd be faced with having to choose between schools. I'm really leaning toward UOMHS, but COMP was great, too. I always see alot written about COMP out here, but does anyone have thoughts on UOMHS, positive or negative? They seem to have such a solid program - I'm just wondering why no one mentions them much...

Stef

[This message has been edited by Kansai (edited 11-20-98).]

Stef,

UOMHS is a great school. Many DO "Big Wigs" graduate from there. There is a rumor going around that you are forced to do all your rotations in Iowa. That can't be true, is it? Regardless, I've heard nothing but good about UOMHS.

EDGAR

Hi all-
I have been accepted to UHS-COM. I actually found out quite a while ago (mid October). I am very excited because I will be able to pursue my research and perhaps help train interns and residents considering incorporating research into their practice (academic medicine). The decision for me was easy. It was based on a warm cordial interview, the opportunities to pursue my sub-specialty within the school (geriatrics), clinical/basic research opportunities, the preparedness of the school to sell me during the interview process, and having many osteopathic/allopathic schools in the area to provide a wider array of interning possibilities & experts. Two other schools I interviewed with didn't have UHS?s interaction with students; at UHS the Dean personally addressed the students and convinced everyone that they were indeed special. Everyone received fittings for the white coat ceremony and lunch was provided. I was very impressed not only with the kid glove treatment but the academic upgrades incorporating computers into lecture/lab. In addition a note service is provided for all the classes.

I know some of you may still be deciding and wondering what to do, the above strategies may help. Remember you will be part of this school for the next 4 years and a lot more than location should be a factor in your decision. Look at core rotations, the hospitals available, the OMM programs, scholarship opportunities, and finally your gut feeling about the school.

Good luck
Diane

Just a note to Carrie...I just might be a future classmate with you at KCOM next year. I was accepted a few weeks ago. Still waiting from TCOM (TX resident), but at least I know I have a place to go. TCOM is sure taking their time in deciding my fate. I interviewed in late Sept. No word yet. Several people have been accepted already. What's taking so long?

Doogie

doogie,
That would be great. congratulations on being accepted to KCOM and good luck hearing from other schools you are interested in. How long do you have before you have to have your deposit into KCOM? That was a lot of money to send ($1000) but it sure felt good to send money in towards my first tuition payment as a medical student.
Carrie

Hi Carrie,

Actually, I sent in my money to KCOM already. They wanted it by Nov 26. I just found out that I was waitlisted at TCOM. I'm pretty upset about it. I'm also a TX resident. It's all a crapshoot. Don't get me wrong...I'm really happy about KCOM. It's just too expensive.

Doogie

Edgar,

Thanks for the UOMHS info. Actually, at the interview they tell you NOT to expect to stay in Iowa for clinicals. They want people with families to know this in advance. I guess they have a limited number of clinical rotations in Des Moines and they cannot guarantee them to anyone. My understanding is that rotations are mostly done in Ohio as part of OUCOM's CORE program. There are also some in Michigan. They seem pretty flexible, so if you really want to go to a certain location you probably can. The school catalog urges you to rotate outside of Iowa to obtain as many different experiences as possible. That's an interesting rumor - I wonder where it started...

Stef

Dear fellow future D.O.'s,

After reading all your postings I am a bit worried that I will be the only student in next years class at UNECOM! If anyone is planning on attending UNECOM next year drop me a line to calm my fears! Also, If there are students out there who will be interviewing at UNECOM in the future feel free to drop me a line! Congrats to everyone on their acceptances. Its such a long and stressful road...but it will all be worth it in the end.

See ya,
Matt

Dear Mathew,

Do you know if UNECOM considers applicants from Michigan (Midwest)? B/c I'm thinking about applying there, I'm just not sure if they'll give me any consideration.

Hi Everybody-

Just recently found this page and I love it!
Congrats to all of you on your acceptances!
I got accepted into both COMP and AZCOM and
I am having a tough time deciding between the two. I also just got an invite to interview at PCOM. Has anyone interviewed there? Comments, suggestions? Thanks!
Angie

Dear Mack,

I know that UNECOM gives special attention to New England residents, but I am sure they give all applicants consideration. Its a great school in a great location...ocean is a stones throw from campus (literally). I would give it a shot. UNECOM has a web page you can check out on the internet. If you have any other questions feel free to drop me a line.

Good luck!
Matt

Congrats to all the new future DO's!!!!! I have a question though...why haven't I
heard more about UHS-COM? As a second year student at UHS I can highly recommend our
school! We have state of the art labs (our anatomy lab is the envy of many Ivy league
schools), terrific faculty, a truly exceptional OMT dept. and more history than most DO
schools (the school has been in existance since 1916). Also, I recently heard that UHS
beat all the other DO schools in the June 98, COMLEX part I. As you can tell, I love
it here! Anyway, I was just interested in what current applicants are thinking.
Deb (MS-II)

Deb,

I interviewed at UHS in October. My student hosts (I stayed with two) were awesome, very intelligent and caring medical students. The facilities of your school are the most awesome of any medical school in the country. Unfortunately I had a very bad grilling session for my interview and was incredibly nervous through the whole ordeal and so I was recently wait-listed. I would have loved the opportunity to consider attending the school, but maybe it was for the best because Missouri is just way too far from my family and friends in California. By the way, I stayed with Jeff Hagquist and John Watters, they are my buds.

EDGAR

Edgar

I'm sorry you had a less than positive interview experience,
but don't give up. If you are really interested in coming here
you can contact Minnie Mars in administration and convey your
concerns. She is a real advocate for applicants and will do
whatever she can to help. Also, I can understand not wanting
to leave family and friends behind. That was probably the
hardest thing for me to deal with...my phone bills are always
outragous! The most important thing though is that you are
IN! In many ways it truly is the hardest part. I'm glad you
got to stay with John and Jeff, they are really great guys...
very easy going and always willing to sponsor interviewees.
This is no small thing for as you'll all soon discover, time
will become your most valuble (ie. scarcest) commodity! If
I could give you only one piece of advice it would be to enjoy
your current freedom. You should do as little as possible
between now and matriculation! I'm serious!!!! The first year
is tough and looooooong. By the end of the first year, most of
us no longer even cared about grades...we just wanted to pass
and be done with it!!!! Don't mean to scare you...you'll love
it! Just be aware of the rigors ahead. So for now just be
lazy, party alot, and enjoy yourselves!!!!!

Deb

Deb-
I hope to see you next year. I agree UHS has a lot to offer. For those that get the chance to interview definately do not pass up this opportunity! All those interested can see UHS at http://www.uhs.edu/. I was impressed with my visit to Kansas City (KC) and the amount of money (I think 2.2M) being added into the existing UHS teaching curriculm.
smile.gif
Diane

Deb,

I have already turned UHS offer down for the alternate list. My acceptance offers at AZCOM and COMP were coming down to their deadlines, so I have decided to attend COMP because it is in my home state, I love the program and it will help me do some networking to do my residency in California also. Minnie seemed like a nice person, but I really didn't get to talk to her (I interviewed with like 28 other people, including Diane). Thanks for the words of encouragement though. By the way, Diane, how do you make those smiley face things? They are cute.

EDGAR

Hey everybody,

Congrats on all the acceptances. A quick word on the reference above to UHS beating all schools on this past COMLEX--I have now heard that AZCOM, CCOM, UHS, and PCOM all were highest. The source of the AZCOM info were people who I assumed knew the info (AZCOM administration) although there was some question about how they were measuring (means vs pass rate). Anyway, what it comes down to is that no one really knows how other schools did (NBOME tries to keep interschool competition to a minimum). So it is almost impossible to say how a school did compared to other schools. AZCOM had around a 96% pass rate with with a class mean if 525 (the national mean was below 500 for the first time in quite awhile, but I am not sure what the national mean was).

The bottom line for all of you who put stock in board scores as a criteria for choosing a school (performance on the boards has much more to do with the student than the school) I would suggest that the next time someone tells you how the school did compared to other schools, get them to tell you the class mean from last year and the class pass rate--if they don't know those two things, chances are they "heard" that X school did better from someone.

Diane

Congrats and welcome to UHS! I'm sure you'll love it here!! Although I won't
be on campus next year (I'll be on rotations...YEA!!!!) if you have any questions
or problems you can contact me at [email protected]. Also, you will be
assigned a "big sister" (a second year) to help with anything that might come up.
Let me know how things go!

Deb

Note to Stillborn: Regarding the remark about board results...as stated, this
was something I "heard". Geeeeez, you guys are all so serious! I'm sorry I
even mentioned it.

I have been accepted at COMP, NOVA, and am waiting to hear from TUCOM. NOVA is far from the west coast where I belong, so I dunno. Comp is looking pretty good, but I hear good things about TUCOM. THey have mostly UCSF faculty teaching their classes, and a great curriculum for the second year that uses an organ system based approach. They also have rotations set up in New York, New Jersey (Beth Israel), San Francisco (St. Mary's and St. Lukes), Bay area (Kaiser and Sutter Solano). It is also close to home. I hear they have a lot of money behind them in the jewish community back east so I am not worried about them folding. I still have not decided for sure yet though.

Sean

For those of you who were accepted at NSUCOM, how did the letter arrive to you? Was it registered mail?

Thanks.