Accepted...and now terrified, this is why, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdordie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

First off, I'm unbelievably excited, since I found out Friday that I was accepted to my first choice med school. This was unexpected, since I had a 27 on my MCAT. I was ALREADY planning on reapplying, so I had already scheduled another MCAT, and am in the middle of a prep course to bring up my score. But now I'm freaking out, and this is why...

I graduated almost 15 years ago, with a BA in something that doesn't matter at all. I've been enrolled for the last 3 years at my state school, taking only the prereqs, upper level science classes ( Acing them all ) and basically living in the cell bio lab for research. I was enrolled as a POST-BAC student, so I thought.

No sooner had I printed out, signed and sent back the acceptance documents, then I ran into something that might be a problem. I began requesting my transcripts, to send in to my future med school. I've NEVER looked at my actual transcript where I'm a post-bac. Until yesterday, and I saw that I'm classified as an additional degree student!! I think this must have happened when I had to declare a "major" in our to use veterans benefits... but I already have a degree...

I never intended to get a degree here. I didn't indicate an intent to graduate on AMCAS. I can not afford to take all the classes required to graduate, and certainly can't finish them by August. But there is this stipulation on the acceptance form that all Bachelors, Masters, PhD coursework be finished before matriculating. I feel like I should call the admissions office to clarify, but wanted to know if any other nontrads had run into anything like this. Has anyone lost an acceptance over this?

Members don't see this ad.

Just withdraw from the degree program. It should not be a problem since you didn't indicate on AMCAS that you're seeking a second degree. Many post-bacc students enroll as a matriculated undergrad for an additional degree as a way to get into the required courses, and then drop the degree once they've finished their pre-reqs. I did this, and as far as I know it isn't an issue.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought about that, but the same acceptance paperwork says you're not allowed to withdraw from anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, my counselor knew full well what I was doing but I had to say I was seeking a degree or else there was no way for me to get choices for my classes either. You can change your intent like Pose said.

Call your adcom and ask. You already have a previous BS, I wouldn't worry too much.

I asked several adcoms before I applied about this issue and they all said as long as you already have a degree and it is undergrad work then they don't care if you are enrolled as a 2nd degree but never get one. Relax and congratulations on your acceptance!

I have never heard of anyone penalized for withdrawing of a second degree.

I thought about that, but the same acceptance paperwork says you're not allowed to withdraw from anything.
That stipulation is to prevent a student who is working toward their first bachelor's degree from dropping out and not graduating as soon as they are accepted to med school. It doesn't mean you have to complete a degree that you never indicated you were going to complete, when you already have a bachelor's. If you are still worried, call the admissions office and talk to someone about it, but I suspect there is no problem at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on your acceptance! Don't worry about that, enjoy the good news instead

It's common for a post-bac to enroll as a degree seeking student but not actually finish a 2nd bachelors. theseeker, above, has put it spot on.

Call admissions to relieve your mind, but there should be no issue as you have the requirements in hand.

This really is a non-issue. I too was a "second degree candidate" with NO intention of ever getting that degree.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback, thanks for calming my nerves. You guys are the best.

Congrats on your acceptance, mdordie! Relax and enjoy it!

Hey all,

First off, I'm unbelievably excited, since I found out Friday that I was accepted to my first choice med school. This was unexpected, since I had a 27 on my MCAT. I was ALREADY planning on reapplying, so I had already scheduled another MCAT, and am in the middle of a prep course to bring up my score. But now I'm freaking out, and this is why...

I graduated almost 15 years ago, with a BA in something that doesn't matter at all. I've been enrolled for the last 3 years at my state school, taking only the prereqs, upper level science classes ( Acing them all ) and basically living in the cell bio lab for research. I was enrolled as a POST-BAC student, so I thought.

No sooner had I printed out, signed and sent back the acceptance documents, then I ran into something that might be a problem. I began requesting my transcripts, to send in to my future med school. I've NEVER looked at my actual transcript where I'm a post-bac. Until yesterday, and I saw that I'm classified as an additional degree student!! I think this must have happened when I had to declare a "major" in our to use veterans benefits... but I already have a degree...

I never intended to get a degree here. I didn't indicate an intent to graduate on AMCAS. I can not afford to take all the classes required to graduate, and certainly can't finish them by August. But there is this stipulation on the acceptance form that all Bachelors, Masters, PhD coursework be finished before matriculating. I feel like I should call the admissions office to clarify, but wanted to know if any other nontrads had run into anything like this. Has anyone lost an acceptance over this?
Congrats,

I have known of similar situations so I believe it should not be an issue. I know of similar situation where a student had a BS in Education and taught Biology for a number of years before returning to school in pre- Med and was accepted to Med School before finishing the pre-Med degree. I would continue with the classes you are taking and then show up for orientation in the fall. I believe this will meet your obligation since you already have a BS degree. A number of students working towards MS degree begin their MD/DO degree and discontinue their MS in Biology degree.