Accepted and waiting NJ schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pn13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here but I have been reading for the past few years. I am currently accepted at NJMS and on a HP alternate list at RWJ. They stated that they had overbooked the class so waitlist may not be moving very soon. I had a few questions that I would like opinions on. Mind you a big reason I want to go to RWJ is because I have family 15 mins away and would not have to pay to live at school(so save 40-50k) and could probably work on the weekends easier. At NJMS I would have to live there. I believe the area is better, and I liked the students I met during the interview better. Maybe someone can convince me NJMS is better.

1. Where should I draw the line in the sand? Is late June too late to change what school I am going to? What about July? I would hate to be getting stuff together for an apartment and starting to really have things materialize just to have my world flipped.

2. What would happen to financial aid and things like that if I switched? Same Rutgers school code so I am not sure if applying for loans would change or not.

3. What are my actual chances of getting in(I know, the most asked question here). I am not really sure that the above matter if I have no chance. I have a 35 and 3.9+ with extensive clinical experience and no research. Got accepted to NJMS on one of the first days they made phone calls, RWJ didnt let me know until Jan that I was on a waitlist.

4. Should I go down to the admissions office and explain my situation? Will a full story help, or should I tell them only some parts of it? Would a phone call or email make a better difference. It is hard to get someone important on the phone, and emails to them seem like they are not influential due to basic responses that I have gotten. I feel like I probably don't have much to lose, but do I really have anything to gain or am I just wasting my breath?

Members don't see this ad.

RWJMS admission office will not help. They are more or less Tirants.

RWJ and NJMS are like 30 mins away, you may still be able to commute. Financial aid should be very similar, if not identical for both. Plus it's all loans anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a wash - very comparable schools and the aid will be essentially the same. I think you should go to NJMS.

I'm just unwilling to commute to Newark every morning, and have to drive home after whatever socialization I want to have. I think I would lose a social aspect of medical school. RWJ is really close to my house so that would be fine. JPA why not try once more for RWJ? Just want your reasoning.

I'm just unwilling to commute to Newark every morning, and have to drive home after whatever socialization I want to have. I think I would lose a social aspect of medical school. RWJ is really close to my house so that would be fine. JPA why not try once more for RWJ? Just want your reasoning.

I guess it depends on what you want. I'm of the opinion that medical school is a time to be more independent and learn what works for you in terms of study, living habits, etc. Sure, 40K plus interest is quite a bit of money, but I can tell you from my own experience that if I had to live with my family for 4 more years I would hate it. I don't know what your situation is like, but for me at least, I think 40K is a reasonable price to pay for my sanity and my independence ;)

From what I do know abut RWJ vs. NJMS, I like the fact that NJMS is a stone's throw from New York City - if you want a great place to socialize, nothing tops NYC. I like the fact that NJMS has an extremely highly regarded trauma center and a high case volume. The times I've been to New Brunswick, personally, I really didn't like the area very much. I know you will get a great education regardless of which school you choose to attend. Both schools have great match lists, and NJMS in particular matches a lot of students into NYC programs. If you want to stay on the wait list for RWJ, then it's all good. I just think that if you were to decide to run with NJMS right now it would give you more time to look for a place to live and get ready to start school this summer. It might be a bit of a headache if you get into RWJ last minute and then you have only a couple days to make a decision and tie up loose ends.

Reactions: 1 user