Accepted applicants who no longer care about gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silas2642

silas2642
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooo... I'm sitting here at the computer with a ton of things to do and I'm blowing off finals completely because I just don't care anymore. My GPA is going from a near 4.0 for the past three years to like a 3.0.

First of all, will getting straight B's get me kicked out of medical school? Secondly, is anyone else in this position of really not caring about anything anymore? Please write back so I can commiserate with you.

Members don't see this ad.

silas2642 said:
Sooo... I'm sitting here at the computer with a ton of things to do and I'm blowing off finals completely because I just don't care anymore. My GPA is going from a near 4.0 for the past three years to like a 3.0.

First of all, will getting straight B's get me kicked out of medical school? Secondly, is anyone else in this position of really not caring about anything anymore? Please write back so I can commiserate with you.

Check your acceptance letter -- a bunch of them say you must get a C or better in all remaining coursework. But it's probably not a bad idea to keep some of your study habits in tune -- you are going to need them big time in August. Plus, if any classes you are taking that are sciences that might conceivably be useful in med school, you really could benefit by locking that info down in your brain now, while you have the time.

Law2Doc said:
Check your acceptance letter -- a bunch of them say you must get a C or better in all remaining coursework. But it's probably not a bad idea to keep some of your study habits in tune -- you are going to need them big time in August. Plus, if any classes you are taking that are sciences that might conceivably be useful in med school, you really could benefit by locking that info down in your brain now, while you have the time.

Yeah, but it takes a lot to get an acceptance rescinded, right? I mean, like a D or multiple C's

Members don't see this ad :)
silas2642 said:
Yeah, but it takes a lot to get an acceptance rescinded, right? I mean, like a D or multiple C's

I'm sure if you really slacked off, you could manage it, but certainly a slate of B range grades shouldn't cause you any problems, I wouldn't think.

Law2Doc said:
...But it's probably not a bad idea to keep some of your study habits in tune -- you are going to need them big time in August. Plus, if any classes you are taking that are sciences that might conceivably be useful in med school, you really could benefit by locking that info down in your brain now, while you have the time.
I don´t think you´ll forget how to study between now and August! :laugh: I´ve dropped almost all of my science classes for next semester. I´d scheduled a bunch that might help out in med school a bit, but now I think they´re a waste of time for me. Sure, if I busted my butt and studied a ton they might help a little, but I don´t have the motivation to do that, so why waste my time cramming before exams for short-term retention of material that I´m not interested in?

I´ve asked the question (what extra science classes to take) of a bunch of med students (at all of my interviews and in the allo forum) and not one person has said "take extra science classes." In fact, they´ve all recommended taking fun classes or no classes at all (if you can graduate already.)

B´s aren´t going to hurt you, but an A thrown into the mix probably isn´t a bad idea. I think med schools have seen a lot of senioritis. It is perfectly normal and very common. It is also in no way an indicaiton of your motivation to perform in med school.

Relax and enjoy yourself - just don´t screw around too much in class! :p

SailCrazy said:
I don´t think you´ll forget how to study between now and August! :laugh: I´ve dropped almost all of my science classes for next semester. I´d scheduled a bunch that might help out in med school a bit, but now I think they´re a waste of time for me. Sure, if I busted my butt and studied a ton they might help a little, but I don´t have the motivation to do that, so why waste my time cramming before exams for short-term retention of material that I´m not interested in?

I´ve asked the question (what extra science classes to take) of a bunch of med students (at all of my interviews and in the allo forum) and not one person has said "take extra science classes." In fact, they´ve all recommended taking fun classes or no classes at all (if you can graduate already.)

B´s aren´t going to hurt you, but an A thrown into the mix probably isn´t a bad idea. I think med schools have seen a lot of senioritis. It is perfectly normal and very common. It is also in no way an indicaiton of your motivation to perform in med school.

Relax and enjoy yourself - just don´t screw around too much in class! :p

I wouldn't necessarilly advocate taking any extra sciences for med school either, but was just saying that if you are in one, might as well get some value out of it. But I do think bad habits die hard, and so you don't totally want to become a slacker right before you are going to need things running in high gear.

Law2Doc said:
I wouldn't necessarilly advocate taking any extra sciences for med school either, but was just saying that if you are in one, might as well get some value out of it. But I do think bad habits die hard, and so you don't totally want to become a slacker right before you are going to need things running in high gear.

No, but I don't want to be completely and totally burnt out by the time I get there, either. If want to spend next semester having fun learning material that will help me in medical school; actually learning this stuff because it is interesting and fun, not because I need to get a good grade.

silas2642 said:

I don't care about my grades right now.

Of course, that could be because I'm not taking any more classes until med school...but still.

I have a take-home final due at 5 pm.

I am two-fifths of the way done with it.

I am posting on SDN right now.

Yes, I think that sums up my attitude quite nicely.

Haha I've actually hit 4.0s my last three semesters(including this one). I'm on an upstreak for some reason...oh well =].

I am on a "thinking hard" break til this summer, when I do my gross anatamy at MSUCOM. I got in at the end of September, so this semester was a struggle, but I got through it, and with good grades too.

Why is it that when you dont need the grades, you get A's in your classes without any stress, but when you are trying to go to med school, you were killing yourself....go figure :D

I actually care about GPA because I am still waiting on my top choice schools. I may have to update them on GPA, activities, in an LOI if I get waitlisted with my grades from this semester. Also, I will be taking 3 classes next semester where I need to a C or higher in order to graduate. But, I couldn't care less if I get A,B, or a C next semester.

TheDarkSide said:
I have a take-home final due at 5 pm.

Hey me too! I'm two-thirds of the way done with it...one more three page paper to go. Fortunately, this teacher doesn't even look at the papers we write and just happens to put down "A" as long as you did something. Still, doesn't mean I can get off without turning it in...back to work =[.

Members don't see this ad :)
Turkeyman said:
Hey me too! I'm two-thirds of the way done with it...one more three page paper to go. Fortunately, this teacher doesn't even look at the papers we write and just happens to put down "A" as long as you did something. Still, doesn't mean I can get off without turning it in...back to work =[.

I hope yours is more fun than mine is. :) The only thing getting me through it is the knowledge that it is the last thing I ever have to do for this amazingly, horribly, incredibly, outstandingly stupid class.

TheDarkSide said:
I hope yours is more fun than mine is. :) The only thing getting me through it is the knowledge that it is the last thing I ever have to do for this amazingly, horribly, incredibly, outstandingly stupid class.

Good luck to ya! T minus 3 hours eastern time, 4 hours for you ;)

silas2642 said:

wtf? You don't want to graduate summa? I guess I'm the only one who cares about things like that since it wont really matter in the long run =). On the other hand, I've come too far to blow it off now.

SeventhSon said:
wtf? You don't want to graduate summa? I guess I'm the only one who cares about things like that since it wont really matter in the long run =). On the other hand, I've come too far to blow it off now.

I don't really give a crap... a small part of me is saying, "don't let your grades fall now!" But I'm pretty sure I can get that monkey off my back real fast using my buddy EtOH ("say hello to my little friend!!"). For the most part, I just don't care. I'm not even going to my own graduation because there is no way in hell I am sitting in a hot stuffy room for four frickin hours listening to some twit with a 4.0 average sit there and talk about how we have the rest of our lives to conquer the world. I'd rather sleep in or sit at home and watch reruns of Seinfeld, thank you very much.

silas2642 said:
I'm not even going to my own graduation because there is no way in hell I am sitting in a hot stuffy room for four frickin hours listening to some twit with a 4.0 average sit there and talk about how we have the rest of our lives to conquer the world. I'd rather sleep in or sit at home and watch reruns of Seinfeld, thank you very much.

The way I see it, graduation isn't really for you, it's for your family. If they shelled out big money to help put you through school, they should at least get to see you walk across a stage in a gown. Unless they like the Seinfeld option better too. :)

TheDarkSide said:
Yay! All done! :hardy:

Hope yours went well, T-man!

Winter break feels good already :D.

Law2Doc said:
The way I see it, graduation isn't really for you, it's for your family. If they shelled out big money to help put you through school, they should at least get to see you walk across a stage in a gown. Unless they like the Seinfeld option better too. :)

They didn't shell out big bucks to watch me walk down to the stage.... went to my state school and my parents contributed basically no money towards my education because they don't have a lot of it. I'm not going to that stupid ceremony.

SeventhSon said:
I'm in the same boat. This semester blew my 4.0 (with an A- :p ) That would be totally insignificant except that at my post-bacc school you need a 4.0 for magna cum laude. To be honest, I cared right up until the point that I got a solid B on the third of 4 exams in my pathophys class. That assured no chance of a straight-A for the semester. It was a great day. I could stop caring about that class, as well as my crappy biochem class (and all of my other classes, for that matter) I'd been really struggling to maintain any effort in classes that I had no interest in. I was surprised to realize that I really wasn't disappointed at all. My goal was never some GPA award, it was to get into Michigan. With that accomplished, I figure its time to relax a bit before the real work begins! :thumbup:

Law2Doc said:
The way I see it, graduation isn't really for you, it's for your family.
I agree with L2D. My mom didn't go to her graduation and regrets it now. Not for her, but because she found out later that (while they said otherwise at the time) her parents really wanted to go. They hadn't contributed a lot financially, but were very proud of their daughter's accomplishment and wanted to go.

I'm even going to graduation from my post-bacc school. The way I look at it. I will have little/no regret (short or long term) if I go, and there is a potential for some (slightly) significant amount of regret if I don't.