Accepted Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KB.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Besides from declining all other acceptances in writing by May 15th, what else must we do?
Can you email a declination instead of writing a letter?

Must we contact AAMC with our final choice?

Thanks, I don't want to screw this one up.

Members don't see this ad.

Good question. I think it is always best to send a letter to the schools you are declining. Two of the schools I declined actually required it. Also you may want to make sure the school you have chosen has received your letter saying you want to go there. Other than that, let May 15th roll by and keep you fingers crossed for those of us on waitlists.

Originally posted by Keith, NJ:
•Besides from declining all other acceptances in writing by May 15th, what else must we do?
Can you email a declination instead of writing a letter?

I don't know about emailing declination letters, but I turned down interviews and got off waitlists through e-mail. Try it and see what type of response it gets you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent an email to let them know that I was declining and they could give my spot to someone else, CC'd to the financial aid director, and followed with a hard copy.

I just wanted them to know as quickly as possible once I decided.

Send them a letter saying :

Dear accepting Medical school,

Due to the high number of qualified medical schools accepting me this year it has been neccessary for me to dissapoint many outstanding institutions. I hope you realize that this in no way is a comment on your ability to provide medical education. I wish you the best of luck in your search to fill your class. Please feel free to solicit my application to one of your fine residency programs when it comes time for me to embark on my post-graduate education.

Sincerely,

Student with excellent prospects

Nice, Mikado. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

You might want to also add:

I have decided to offer you a position on my waitlist. Please feel free to update your file with any information regarding new financial aid offers or scholarships.

Mikado & Colorado just made yigit's day. I see I'm not the only one who has suffered.

and NEVER forget :

Dear quaified medical school:

As a result of the unusually large number of qualified applicants, The commitee in my head has decided to put you in our HOLD category. You will be notified by mail in in October of next year if you are still in concideration following all of my other acceptances and one matriculation. Please do not contact our office.

Wait a second Caffeine. You're deposit doesn't run out on the 15th. It holds your place untill you register, doesn't it?
You just cant get a refund after the 15th. For the love of God, please someone tell me I'm right.

Yeah, you're sorry for the confusion. But what about the heart attack you just gave me. I might even have grounds for a punitive damages lawsuit against you.

If you make me a decent offer I just might settle out of court.