Accepted, but feeling uneasy about accepting the offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

areuok

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to a certain school thinking at the time that I would like going there. However, when I went there for my interview I had a horrible experience... not a fan of the city/location at all, facilities were not very nice, staff was rude, students not very friendly etc... its just a bad fit for me. Anyways, this turns out to be the only school I was accepted to :(. The thought of going there for 4 years gives me a bad feeling, but I don't know what to do. Can I decline without repercussions in the next cycle? Should I just suck it up and go? What would you do? Please don't tell me I should not have applied there in the first place, I honestly thought it would be a good school to go to if I did not get my top choices.

Members don't see this ad.

If you only got into one school this year, why do you think you'll get into more schools next year? Unless you've added more to your application in the past few months, there's no point in waiting and applying again.

Accept this offer no matter what. Just pay the deposit and think about it more (you can get the deposit back later). You need to just decide if you'd rather go to a med school you don't like, or not be a doctor at all. Sounds kind of extreme but that's how I see it unless you've improved your application for next year.

There are many people who would love to be in your position. You got accepted in a school, be greatful. You should make the best out of the situation by finding people that are friendly. There has to be someone at that medical school who shares your views. Since this is your only acceptance, you should take what you got and deal with it. Once you start residency you can move out of that area to someplace else. Just know you're living your dream and sometimes you have to deal with what was given to you. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess it just goes to show you never really know what a school is like until you're there. if you really believe you'd be unhappy there, don't go. medical school will be hard enough as it is and being miserable with where you're at will only make it harder. if i were in your shoes i think i would accept the offer and sit on it a while before making a final decision...remember your deposit is refundable if you decide to withdraw prior to may 15th. does the school have a second look weekend? maybe you might feel differently if you visit the school again (assuming you have the funds to do so).

I'd wait a little longer and see what happens with your other apps. Did you interview at other schools? Were you waitlisted?

There's still time, but for now I'd hold on to the acceptance. Spend some time thinking about what you'd like to do.

As far as repercussions go, it might look bad should you turn it down and apply next cycle. Adcoms might question your motivation for medicine.

I agree that you should pay the deposit to hold your spot. Then see if you can visit the school again as an accepted student. Sit in on a class or two and talk with more of the students (not just the ones that signed up for the interview day for the free lunch). You might get a better feeling from your second, no-pressure visit.

I agree that you should pay the deposit to hold your spot. Then see if you can visit the school again as an accepted student. Sit in on a class or two and talk with more of the students (not just the ones that signed up for the interview day for the free lunch). You might get a better feeling from your second, no-pressure visit.

I agree. Maybe you should give the school another shot.

I applied to a certain school thinking at the time that I would like going there. However, when I went there for my interview I had a horrible experience... not a fan of the city/location at all, facilities were not very nice, staff was rude, students not very friendly etc... its just a bad fit for me. Anyways, this turns out to be the only school I was accepted to :(. The thought of going there for 4 years gives me a bad feeling, but I don't know what to do. Can I decline without repercussions in the next cycle? Should I just suck it up and go? What would you do? Please don't tell me I should not have applied there in the first place, I honestly thought it would be a good school to go to if I did not get my top choices.

You can drop the acceptance and re-apply next year without any consequences to a subsequent application, so long as you don't matriculate and then drop out. The only repurcussion though, is that this school will certainly not consider you again. And therefore you run the significant risk of not getting in anywhere a second time. Do you really think your application will improve that much to get into those other schools? And as applications are constantly on the rise right now, competition will be even harder next year. Would you rather go here or go to nursing school?

So my advice: suck it up and go. To be honest, the school is probably not as bad as you think. Grasping the "Attitude and friendliness" of the students is diffucult on your interview day. Out of maybe 500 students, you met two of them. Shiny new lab benches (facilities) really mean nothing in your overall education. And the location of the school can be marginalized; you will spend most of your time in class/library/at your desk. Go there for four years and then go be a doctor.

This is a great idea. But also, without knowing which school it is, most of them have class threads in the Allo forum, if you have questions you can ask current students there. And these threads are usually full of information about the school.

the other option is to go, work your *** off for near perfect grades, and attempt to transfer. there are limited schools and limited options for a post-first year transfer, but it can be done. it will require a lot of hard work and luck on your part, however.

suck it up and go get it! life is what you make it, and being accepted to medical school ANYWHERE is a true blessing.

you can see if transferring is a possibility down the line (usually isn't), but if you work your tail off and blow up the USMLE, the world is your oyster and you'll still get any residency you want.

and if you need any added motivation, go take a look at how many people on SDN threads are dealing with the tough blow of knowing that they didn't get in anywhere.

so congrats on your acceptance man. now go DO WORK! :D

hey if you're not happy there withdraw and let those who care more about it take your spot

what SCHOOL is it? i'm so curious now...

edit: just realized something, don't post it! haha, unless you could somehow enter it in code...

Members don't see this ad :)

If you decline an acceptance and then reapply, you'll be blacklisted.

This happened to a friend of mine: Last year: 6 interviews, 1 acceptance. Declined the acceptance. This year: 0 interviews, 0 acceptances. Application was unchanged except for the addition of a master's degree.

My advice to you: attend the bad match medical school.

Oh Christ, just GO TO MED SCHOOL. It's impossible to get an accurate feel for the city, school and student body during an interview. You just follow your gut and rationalize the outcome. If you're an open-minded person, you'll find some friends, find some things in the city you like to do, the staff's rudeness will fade into an unfortunate blip on your radar, and in four years you'll be off to the next adventure.

Give it a chance. Reapplying will cost you time, money, and months of uncertainty. Snap 'em on and get in there!

What school is this if I can ask. You can send it to me in a Private Message if you want.

PLEASE stop encouraging this behavior. This ungrateful *** needs no encouragment. Let this thread die.

OP: That's a tough position to be in...however, if you've already been accepted (assuming you have no other offers) and you really want to become a doctor, then you probably should take the acceptance. You will probably meet some cool people anyway, so don't let your first impression affect you so much! :)

If you decline an acceptance and then reapply, you'll be blacklisted.
Pre-med myth. The only schools you will be blacklisted with are the ones whose acceptances you turn down. Applications will ask if you've matriculated at any other medical schools, not been accepted to. That said, it may come up at the interview, but that's a remote shot.

OP- things to consider are that you could have caught the school on a bad day. The other factor to keep in mind is that medical school is getting harder and harder to get in to each year. If you've only got one acceptance under your belt, there is a very good chance that next year you will have none. Are you willing to take this risk?

In the pre-med lifestyle, it's easy to get caught up in the romance of the medical school ideal. At the end of the day, all US Allopathic schools pretty much teach the same curriculum in pretty similar ways. There are definitely schools that are better fits, but all will ultimately give you the opportunities to be the kind of doctor you want to be, if you're willing to work for it. If this school is such a bad fit, that you can't see being able to perform there, then don't go. But if it's just not ideal, you may want to suck it up.

Best of luck with a tough decision...

Take it. It might be your only chance.

Also, you will never get a feeling for actually attending a school in one day. Think back to when you visited your undergrad campus for a day. Was that anything like going there for four years? If yes then you should be a detective, not a doctor.

Did you get hired by YouTube in the past week? :)

To the OP, $hit happens - by that, I mean people don't get in. If you only have one choice, you only have one choice.

Psh! I wish! No, these two clips just seemed very appropriate for these situations. (Also, how many people have seen, and can quote No Cure for Cancer?)

A good option is to inquire about a second look weekend. You should do everything in your power to determine if that's a school you want to intend. One interview day isn't usually going to give you an accurate impression.

oh man.. that sucks... but you should go..... i know so many people who got acepted to a school and didnt go but did not get in ANYWHERE the next cycle. med schools know if you apply, get in, dont go and reapply.... my pre med dean warned me about this

oh man.. that sucks... but you should go..... i know so many people who got acepted to a school and didnt go but did not get in ANYWHERE the next cycle. med schools know if you apply, get in, dont go and reapply.... my pre med dean warned me about this

You know "so many people?" I doubt that.

ANYWAY OP: I am in your shoes. Unfortunately unless you decide to pursue a different career, I suggest just going. That's what I plan on doing. Sure every intuition I have tells me its going to SUCK, but that's seriously the hand that was delt to me and all I can do is make the best of it. Then after medschool, I will pick my residency locations wisely. Think personal growth...

Applications will ask if you've matriculated at any other medical schools, not been accepted to. That said, it may come up at the interview, but that's a remote shot.

OP, If you do reapply (which I don't suggest doing), make sure you check which applications ask about whether you've previously been accepted. I don't think there are many that ask, but I recall at least one application that asked this question (Albert Einstein). The statement was: "I have been accepted to medical school previously but chose not to matriculate." If you checked yes, an explanation was required.

Go without a question in your mind. All the schools teach the same thing and your night life won't be too extensive anyway to worry about the city. You're dealing with MEDICINE here. You're learning about the body, you're learning how to interact with patients, and you're going to make a difference. This is why you want to be a doctor, not because of the city, buildings, mystique of the school, or fellow classmates that you haven't even met yet. Take your acceptance and become A DOCTOR. If that's not exciting, I don't know what is motivating you.

I went through the same thing when I applied a year ago. I was only accepted to one school and just did not have a positive feeling about attending there. I felt that I had worked really hard as a pre med and was really looking forward to medical school. I refused to be unhappy for four years and decided to turn down my acceptance. I understand it is a big deal to get into med school at all, that doesnt mean you have to settle just to make others happy. There is a difference between legitimately not seeing a school as a good fit for you and not getting into your first choice. I have been told over and over again by multiple sources, including med schools themselves, you should follow your gut instincts when choosing where to attend.

This does not mean that you are choosing between this school and not going at all, as some other responses seem to say or imply. I knew specific weakness with my application, such as no clinical experience, and am working towards remedying them. If your grades or MCAT score are the problem that might be harder, or at least more time consuming, to fix but still doable. The way I see it, if you only got into one school there is something with your application that schools are not liking and if you really want something better, put the time in and work for it. This could take time, I am taking two years off to get my masters in bioethics as well as my global health certificate, volunteer in a free clinic, and work as a student nursing assistant in a psychiatric ward. I realize by the time I am done I could have been to my clinical years. It is a sacrifice.

Also, as long as you have a good answer for why you chose to wait and reapply, it will not affect your reapplication. Trust me, i have thoroughly looked into this...

I went through the same thing when I applied a year ago. I was only accepted to one school and just did not have a positive feeling about attending there. I felt that I had worked really hard as a pre med and was really looking forward to medical school. I refused to be unhappy for four years and decided to turn down my acceptance. I understand it is a big deal to get into med school at all, that doesnt mean you have to settle just to make others happy. There is a difference between legitimately not seeing a school as a good fit for you and not getting into your first choice. I have been told over and over again by multiple sources, including med schools themselves, you should follow your gut instincts when choosing where to attend.

This does not mean that you are choosing between this school and not going at all, as some other responses seem to say or imply. I knew specific weakness with my application, such as no clinical experience, and am working towards remedying them. If your grades or MCAT score are the problem that might be harder, or at least more time consuming, to fix but still doable. The way I see it, if you only got into one school there is something with your application that schools are not liking and if you really want something better, put the time in and work for it. This could take time, I am taking two years off to get my masters in bioethics as well as my global health certificate, volunteer in a free clinic, and work as a student nursing assistant in a psychiatric ward. I realize by the time I am done I could have been to my clinical years. It is a sacrifice.

Wow...just suck it up and go.

In the end, you'll be studying the same thing. Half the time you'll be too busy to notice where you are anyways. But hey, if you actually WANT to put yourself through all the uncertainty and stress of applications again (and can live with the possibility application#2 may result in zero acceptances), rather than getting started on what will hopefully be a satisfying and fulfilling career that may take you in directions you never expected...then by all means.

I'm going to agree with the majority here. Take the acceptance. If you really want to be a doctor, here's your chance. Maybe you caught the school on a bad day, so your first impression was misleading. Also, as for location, you're only there for four years. Most of your time will be spent studying and attending classes, anyway. Maybe the location will even grow on you. Besides, do you really want to take your chances next year? Next year, it might even be harder to get into med school and you might not be so fortunate that time.

This just puts me in a bad mood. I want to find someone defenseless to punch.

Thanks everyone for the advice. When I first made this thread I was kind of depressed, but it has been a few days and I have been able to look at this opportunity in a positive light as it should be, rather than focus on the negative aspects. Like others, I've worked hard and had high hopes but it didn't quite work out the way I had hoped....that is life, time to make the best of it. I'm sure this place will grow on me. So in the end, I will prob end up going if I do not get into another school (currently waitlisted...a small hope, but not holding my breath).

PS. for those who asked, I don't think I want to say which school it is since I will most likely end up there ;)

I felt that I had worked really hard as a pre med and was really looking forward to medical school. I refused to be unhappy for four years and decided to turn down my acceptance.

Too bad this is medical school we're talking about and not a cruise. I hope it works out for you.

Thanks everyone for the advice. When I first made this thread I was kind of depressed, but it has been a few days and I have been able to look at this opportunity in a positive light as it should be, rather than focus on the negative aspects. Like others, I've worked hard and had high hopes but it didn't quite work out the way I had hoped....that is life, time to make the best of it. I'm sure this place will grow on me. So in the end, I will prob end up going if I do not get into another school (currently waitlisted...a small hope, but not holding my breath).

PS. for those who asked, I don't think I want to say which school it is since I will most likely end up there ;)

"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out" -John Wooden

Glad you're giving it another chance :)

It's like when you start dating a guy, thinking that he's what you want. Everything is coming along fine, and you're having a good time. However, once you really take the time to get to know each other you have second thoughts. He gets to know you and is all for you and eventually says, "I love you." You on the other hand still have your doubts, but just give in and say it back anyway b/c any love is better than no love. The uneasy feeling sets in and you realize that you have to make the decision...is this guy what you really want?

Yeah, I didn't even attempt to hand out advice with that one! Sorry. :D

Not a "I told you so" OP, but for anyone in the future WITHDRAWAL YOUR APP if you are in this scenario. You effectively blacklist yourself in many cases by turning down an acceptance. The obvious question next year will be from some other school "if we accept you, how do we know you will come here?? "

If you weren't going to go, you shouldn't have kept your application a second longer there.

It's like when you start dating a guy, thinking that he's what you want. Everything is coming along fine, and you're having a good time. However, once you really take the time to get to know each other you have second thoughts. He gets to know you and is all for you and eventually says, "I love you." You on the other hand still have your doubts, but just give in and say it back anyway b/c any love is better than no love. The uneasy feeling sets in and you realize that you have to make the decision...is this guy what you really want?

Yeah, I didn't even attempt to hand out advice with that one! Sorry. :D

Except this was more like dumping the guy after the third date. I reiterate, get more information about the school (e.g. second look weekend) before deciding to ditch the acceptance.

Not a "I told you so" OP, but for anyone in the future WITHDRAWAL YOUR APP if you are in this scenario. You effectively blacklist yourself in many cases by turning down an acceptance.
Eh, I really don't know where all this blacklist talk comes from. I applied to 37 schools and not one asked if I was ever accepted anywhere in previous cycles. Sounds like Einstein does, but they are in a small, small minority.

The only schools the OP would definitely kill future opportunities at is the one he turned down.
If you weren't going to go, you shouldn't have kept your application a second longer there.
The OP didn't know he wasn't going to go. In fact, he's now going. So it turns out he was wise to sit on it.

Folks make getting into Medical School sound like getting ordained by the Church. Turning schools down is like pi$$ing in the holy water or something. Folks, it's just school.

Mind you, it's school a lot more competitive to get into than the seminary, but at the end of the day, it's school. If folks want to turn down their only acceptance to try again next year, when things will probably be more competitive, it's a ballsy move, but it's theirs. I think folks project their own fears and insecurities a little on this issue. This ain't the preisthod for everybody.

List your seat on eBay and save the money for next year's cycle. Sorry, no one can help you.

there was a statistic i saw two years ago, that i can't seem to locate anymore, that stated 33% of the individuals who reject an allopathic acceptance for the sake of reapplying never end up matriculating in the subsequent cycle. since i can't find the source, you should take that with a grain of a salt -- but there's no doubt that you're putting your future at risk.

there's absolutely no way that you're going to know whether or not a particular school will make you happy until you're actually there as a student. i've lost track of all the people who were unhappy at the prospects of attending their "safety school" only to end up happy and regret-free.. and vice-versa.

Oh Christ, just GO TO MED SCHOOL...Give it a chance. Reapplying will cost you time, money, and months of uncertainty. Snap 'em on and get in there!

AMEN :clap:
I have been told over and over again by multiple sources, including med schools themselves, you should follow your gut instincts when choosing where to attend...

Of course med schools are going to tell you this, because they know they have someone else lined up that would glady take your seat and pay tuition.

Good decision... it's really hard to decide a final opinion about a place when you only visit there once. keep your head up :thumbup:

Good attitude. I'm glad that you're feeling better about your SUCCESS. :) Good luck next year, and make the best of it!

"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out" -John Wooden

Excellent quote. Life is what you make of it.

Eh, I really don't know where all this blacklist talk comes from. I applied to 37 schools and not one asked if I was ever accepted anywhere in previous cycles. Sounds like Einstein does, but they are in a small, small minority.

The only schools the OP would definitely kill future opportunities at is the one he turned down.

The OP didn't know he wasn't going to go. In fact, he's now going. So it turns out he was wise to sit on it.

Folks make getting into Medical School sound like getting ordained by the Church. Turning schools down is like pi$$ing in the holy water or something. Folks, it's just school.

Mind you, it's school a lot more competitive to get into than the seminary, but at the end of the day, it's school. If folks want to turn down their only acceptance to try again next year, when things will probably be more competitive, it's a ballsy move, but it's theirs. I think folks project their own fears and insecurities a little on this issue. This ain't the preisthod for everybody.
:thumbup:
"BLACKLISTING" because you turned down an acceptance is just a pre-med myth. The only thing close is when you matriculate (AKA go there and actually attend) and drop out, your chances of getting back in anywhere are harder. But if you are simply accepted and then never matriculate there is no "blacklist." Except for the fact that the one school that you turned down is unlikely to accept you again, nothing happends. You re-apply. Although I personally think it is ill-advised to turn down an acceptance, to each his own and a lot of people do this and succesfully reapply to other schools.

Good luck, keep your hopes up for the waitlist but I am sure you will do just fine anywhere. Congrats on your acceptance to medical school!