Accepted but still waiting on 3 other schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jadesocket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So great news, I got into dental school! But not exactly my first choice. The school I got accepted at is giving me 2 weeks to pay the $2000 deposit to secure a spot, however, I am still waiting on 3 other schools I interviewed at which I would much rather go to. What do you guys suggest I should do? Paying the deposit and withdrawing later is always an option but I really don't want to put that strain on my parents.

Would it be rude and hurt my chances to email or call the other schools and let them know I've been accepted elsewhere but that I intend to wait for their response?

Members don't see this ad.

I would wait til the last minute to pay the deposit and if you haven't heard back from the other schools then just go ahead and pay the deposit. Better safe than sorry. I don't think contacting the other schools and trying to leverage your acceptance would be the best idea..

Reactions: 1 user
It might not be a bad idea to call and ask. But phrase it kind of like.. "So I got accepted into a school, and I have two weeks to give in my deposit. But I would much rather attend your school, so I was just wondering if I will be hearing anything soon. $2k is a lot of money to just lose if you guys accept me a week after I send that deposit in, so I just wanted to check in."

But of course, if you don't hear from the other schools do give in the deposit. Best to go to a school that's not your top choice, than to not go to a school at all, you know?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same spot with two acceptances, one of which I turned down, and waitlisted at 3 others. I'm thankful for my acceptance but will happily attend two of the waitlisted schools if I am offered admission. With the amount of money I'll be saving, I won't even think twice about the deposit money that will be forfeited.

I would contact the other schools. You don't even have to mention that you were accepted somewhere else. Just say you interviewed whatever date and was wondering if there's been any recent movement just to see where they're at. What's the worst that could happen? I highly doubt a school would be pissed you contacted them asking a basic question. If anything maybe they could look up your file, see something they like or remember you by, and then offer an acceptance before you have to pay 2 grand to the other schools.

Reactions: 1 user