Accepted dental students, how many classes did you receive a grade below a B on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScarletKnight24

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what class/classes were they?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

straight B or does B- count? the only two classes i received below a B- was Intermediate Algebra 2 (F) and General Psychology (C). both were received pretty early on during my undergrad so they didn't care as much since i had lots of A/B after.

Members don't see this ad :)
One 'C' in the only math class required by my major during freshman year.

During first year, I took 10 courses and my highest mark was a B+, received a C, C+, C-, B-, pretty much everything below a B+. Classes included first year bio, chem, calculus etc. However, I never had anything below an A- in last three years, mostly A+'s with 5 courses/semester. So, it's never too late to try

Now I feel like I've got a looooooooonnnnnnggggggggggg ways to go to make up some of my grades...

I got grades from As down to one D. Overall GPA and Science GPAs matter more than any individual grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pre Dec 1st? One B, and that was in microbio.
Post Dec 1st? 2 Bs :D

One C+ in (5000 level)SOCIOLOGY. 40 pages long (single spaced)essay wasn't a joke.

C+ Biochem
C+ genetics
B- 2nd quarter ochem
B- 2nd quarter bio

lol too much cramming

I got a D+ in a journalism class my first semester, a C+ in Molecular & Cellular Biology and Gen Chem II my second semester, and a B- in a Bio lab my 3rd semester. Then I finally got serious and did really well my last 4 semesters to this point.

solid B was my lowest grade

I got nothing lower than a B

I got b's...in orgo lab, Chem lab, educational psych, molecular biology, and other random classes like current topics seminar...oh and also both English composition courses.

Doesn't matter as long as your science GPA is solid, and U earned good grades in the clue pre requisites like bio, chem, orgo etc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

I don't think how many grades of B or lower that someone got is a good indication of their competitiveness for dental school. An application is made up of many more things, and its the GPA and sGPA that are more important than say one C on a transcript.

Also, individual grades (and really GPA for that matter) are incredibly dependent upon the undergraduate school attended, so take these responses with a grain of salt. It is different to get 4 B-'s at one really easy school vs another school that grades much harder. For instance, from what I've seen in my academic career, it is MUCH easier to get a 4.0 at the average state school (at least in my state). However, if you went to a competitive nationally recognized school, then generally speaking it is a lot harder and A's aren't given out too frequently, kinda like dental school. I know this is overly generalizing, but again, its just my experience.

If you look at the average GPA/DAT of matriculatnts at my state dental school, you can see what I"m talking about. Almost every single student who gets accepted here went to one of the state universities/colleges (since they are NOT OOS friendly). The average GPA is a 3.8 but DAT is only about a 17/18/18. My GPA was a 3.45 but DAT was 21/22/25. My GPA/DAT is right on par with the average pre-med/pre-dental student to get accepted from my school. This was just my experience though. I'm not knocking state schools.

I don't think how many grades of B or lower that someone got is a good indication of their competitiveness for dental school. An application is made up of many more things, and its the GPA and sGPA that are more important than say one C on a transcript.

Also, individual grades (and really GPA for that matter) are incredibly dependent upon the undergraduate school attended, so take these responses with a grain of salt. It is different to get 4 B-'s at one really easy school vs another school that grades much harder. For instance, from what I've seen in my academic career, it is MUCH easier to get a 4.0 at the average state school (at least in my state). However, if you went to a competitive nationally recognized school, then generally speaking it is a lot harder and A's aren't given out too frequently, kinda like dental school. I know this is overly generalizing, but again, its just my experience.

If you look at the average GPA/DAT of matriculatnts at my state dental school, you can see what I"m talking about. Almost every single student who gets accepted here went to one of the state universities/colleges (since they are NOT OOS friendly). The average GPA is a 3.8 but DAT is only about a 17/18/18. My GPA was a 3.45 but DAT was 21/22/25. My GPA/DAT is right on par with the average pre-med/pre-dental student to get accepted from my school. This was just my experience though. I'm not knocking state schools.

The DAT scores aren't as low as 17 to 18. They're still at a 19 or so for most state schools but yes the GPAs tend to be much higher.

6 B- 4 freshman year, 3 gen ed and 1 bio and two junior year in upper level bio course

Many C's in math and sciences. However...
All A's by senior year. Top 3% DAT score (AA and TS...even in QR) . Above average ECs.
Multiple acceptances this cycle.
So yes, grades aren't everything and C's won't sink you if you've got everything else. And like someone said above, a C in a tougher Ivy League school/course of study may be > than a B or C in a less competitive school/non-science degree/background.

Orgo II, Orgo lab, Biochem, Ecology, with multiple acceptances. Depends on where you attend University, how strong the rest of your application is, and how you are as a person.

Last edited:
Genetics & Physics I. Damn them to hell.

Well... since you are curious, I have lots to share. :) So here they are. You'll notice that two of my classes have a second grade in brackets from when I retook the classes.

Enjoy!

Macroeconomics: F
Elementary Russian I: D
The Dynamic Earth: C
History of Alaska Natives: D
Academic Writing about the Sciences: C
Fundamentals of Oral Communication: C
Political Development in Latin America: F
Perspectives on History: F
Renaissance and Reformation in Europe: F (A)
Intermediate Ballroom Dance: F
Senior Thesis: F (B)
Organic Chemistry I: C

cGPA: 3.02 :rolleyes:
sGPA: 3.68
bcpGPA: 3.70

Don't give up! :highfive:

Well... since you are curious, I have lots to share. :) So here they are. You'll notice that two of my classes have a second grade in brackets from when I retook the classes.

Enjoy!

Macroeconomics: F
Elementary Russian I: D
The Dynamic Earth: C
History of Alaska Natives: D
Academic Writing about the Sciences: C
Fundamentals of Oral Communication: C
Political Development in Latin America: F
Perspectives on History: F
Renaissance and Reformation in Europe: F (A)
Intermediate Ballroom Dance: F
Senior Thesis: F (B)
Organic Chemistry I: C

cGPA: 3.02 :rolleyes:
sGPA: 3.68
bcpGPA: 3.70

Don't give up! :highfive:

You know what matters? That you still got into a dental school and you are happy :) That's all it matters. I see you are in military. You have completed your mission. Well done. Congratz and thanks for your service. Wish we could be high speed military dentists. Hooah

-LT

5 C's, was a slight concern of mine..

C in Biology second quarter
B- in Cell Bio
B- Physics third quarter - seriously though the midterms weighted a 30 as an A...hardest class of my life lol
B- Ochem second quarter
B- English Writing

Don't be discouraged

C+, Calc I & Calc 2
C+, Physiology
B-, Molecular bio

I actually decided towards the end of working on my associates (with plans to transfer to a 4 year) to become a dentist. My initial major was computer science. So I didn't really strive for a 4.0 until after I transferred and began as a bio major. I had 4 Cs 1 in a writing class 2 in a computer class (advanced routing technologies, and Linux II) The last one is probably the most embarrassing. It was a class called professional development lol. It was right before graduating and the prof loved loading us with really boring assignments. I would often skip the class. I really didn't realize at the time that dental schools would see that grade (I really don't know what I was thinking!)

Luckily, I straightened myself out and the lowest grade I received from then on was one B- in A&P I.

I got lots of C's the first few years of undergrad (mostly chem/physics) but pulled it together senior year and got straight A's, and did well on the DAT. I Was really worried about those C's, but I worked hard to show improvement.