Accepted DO; Waitlisted MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted896822

In sort of a pickle. One that I assume is common.
I’m accepted DO and have been since ~December. I recently interviewed at my instate MD school and have another at the beginning of next month, both of which I was sort of not expecting, thinking my MCAT was too low.

Our school has what’s called an “acceptable” list from which they pull applicants to fill the class throughout the cycle.

The issue I’m concerned about is this; I have the matriculation packed for the DO school, for which there are some upcoming deadlines, about a month away. The MD school may not accept me (at all) though most on the acceptable list are eventually accepted. This may be as late last late May or early July though.
At what point am I financially tied to the DO school? Can I give up the seat that late? Certainly they have students waiting to fill that seat, I have already paid my deposit.

What is the common solution to this? Can’t be a rare situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Right now that DO school is your ONLY accept.

So whatever money/fees you have to pay is simply insurance in case the MD school never calls you.
My school has had people bail on us for our state MD schools AFTER they matriculated.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Right now that DO school is your ONLY accept.

So whatever money/fees you have to pay is simply insurance in case the MD school never calls you.
My school has had people bail on us for our state MD schools AFTER they matriculated.

Right; I don’t want to make it sound like that’s the case because I really love the DO school I’m accepted at; that being said, the in state MD school is objectively going to be about half the cost and is less hassle for sure.
Just reading the matriculation packet, the promise to pay agreement has me concerned I’m setting myself up to owe some significant amount of money if I am accepted to the MD school and have already completed that packet

Members don't see this ad :)
Right; I don’t want to make it sound like that’s the case because I really love the DO school I’m accepted at; that being said, the in state MD school is objectively going to be about half the cost and is less hassle for sure.
Just reading the matriculation packet, the promise to pay agreement has me concerned I’m setting myself up to owe some significant amount of money if I am accepted to the MD school and have already completed that packet

Do you want to be a doctor or not? Right now you only have one acceptance.

I understand that money can be an issue here, but what's the alternative?

Reactions: 1 users
I understand; I’m more or less inquiring on wether this is common; that is for accepted DO students to drop the DO school for a MD school late in the cycle and the experience (if the DO school comes after you for money)

Reactions: 1 user
I understand; I’m more or less inquiring on wether this is common; that is for accepted DO students to drop the DO school for a MD school late in the cycle and the experience (if the DO school comes after you for money)

Quite common. It's why DO schools have wait list pools.

Financially, what happens when a student drops out of a school after they matriculate? The deposit is sunk, but what about tuition/fees, housing leases, etc.?

At what point am I financially tied to the DO school? Can I give up the seat that late?

Yes you absolutely can give it up that late. Pay all the deposits and plan on going to the DO school. IF the MD school calls then bail to them instantly. It's sunk cost but the cost would be worth it. You are not obligated to attend just because you paid a deposit.