Accepted into a Pharmacy School and Deciding Whether to Attend - Any Advice Appreciated!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldpremed38

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was accepted into a Pharmacy school, however, I have read numerous bad things regarding oversaturation of the profession and how it is a terrible idea to attend pharmacy school in this climate given the lack of jobs. Am I making the right choice by turning down my acceptance? Any input from those with knowledge of the future of pharmacy would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
See this thread. There are thousands of unemployed pharmDs and someone even set up a donation fund for them.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
See this thread. There are thousands of unemployed pharmDs and someone even set up a donation fund for them.

Thanks for your response. Any further information on why you feel pharmacy would not be a good choice would be appreciated. I fear that I will take on a tremendous amount of debt in the program (3 year program with a $60,000 tuition per year) and not be able to find employment. Is it true that there are several thousands of pharmacists currently unemployed and the situation will get worse in the future? I really want to make sure that I made the right choice by not going the pharmacy route.

Thanks for your response. Any further information on why you feel pharmacy would not be a good choice would be appreciated. I fear that I will take on a tremendous amount of debt in the program (3 year program with a $60,000 tuition per year) and not be able to find employment. Is it true that there are several thousands of pharmacists currently unemployed and that many have been laid off and forced to work less hours? Also, will the situation get worse in the future? I really want to make sure that I made the right choice by not going the pharmacy route.

Hello everyone. I was accepted into a Pharmacy school, however, I have read numerous bad things regarding oversaturation of the profession and how it is a terrible idea to attend pharmacy school in this climate given the lack of jobs. Am I making the right choice by turning down my acceptance? Any input from those with knowledge of the future of pharmacy would be greatly appreciated!
I have been a pharmacist for over 7 years. It is the correct choice to turn it down. Walgreen in my nearest metro area is paying less wages than what was offered 10 to 15 years ago, only giving 32 hours a week.

The tuition and time in college is too long with pharmacy. I cringe when I hear new grads with 200K loans scraping by on 32 hours and with all their anxiety about loans.

Reactions: 6 users
I have been a pharmacist for over 7 years. It is the correct choice to turn it down. Walgreen in my nearest metro area is paying less wages than what was offered 10 to 15 years ago, only giving 32 hours a week.

The tuition and time in college is too long with pharmacy. I cringe when I hear new grads with 200K loans scraping by on 32 hours and with all their anxiety about loans.
Thank you very much for your reapply. Getting advice from an actual pharmacist helps me further reaffirm that I made the correct decision. Do you or any one else have a rough idea of what percentage of recent graduates of pharmacy school either are not able to get work or are forced to work less hours or per diem? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

what is your backup plan?
I am currently in limbo because I was not fortunate enough to get into medical school despite receiving 8 interviews. I did get placed on 3 wait lists, however, I am not counting on any of those coming through. I also was accepted into a few MS programs, however, am still deciding whether to attend one of the MS programs or move on to a different career path. I am old and tired and really lost right now. I just want to make sure that pharmacy is not a viable option so that I may move on to a different career path. I am thinking of doing an MS program where I could go into a career in the biomedical sciences since I feel I am probably too old to continue pursuing medicine.

Thank you very much for your reapply. Getting advice from an actual pharmacist helps me further reaffirm that I made the correct decision. Do you or any one else have a rough idea of what percentage of recent graduates of pharmacy school either are not able to get work or are forced to work less hours or per diem? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

The most recent anecdote I have is my own intern from 2019 (not exactly what you are asking but it is relevant). She applied and got a staff rph job at my store for 28 hours guarantee only. Ten dollars less than what was offered in 2017. She two other classmates of hers applied for the same job, along with ~30 other candidates. One of the other classmates got picked up quick at CVS, the other was jobless until Spring.

Depending on how old you are and if you can move for work I would say nursing, teaching are options.

And also- sadly-, age discrimination is rampant in retail pharmacy. The chain I previously worked for was getting rid of all pharmacists > 50 years old, allegedly because "millennials were more comfortable with younger pharmacists" and there was a big push to target that age bracket. Gradually over about a year all of the RPhs I knew over 50 were "let go", and i was on the chopping block. Never had so much as a writeup in 15 years with the company prior to their culling of older pharmacists. They simply badger you and write you up for every little thing until they can terminate you. I saw the writing on the wall and got out before being fired, but was on a PIP which is the last formality before they fire you. Experience counts for nothing in pharmacy anymore and age is truly only a liability....

• Wow
  • Care
What do older pharmacists do after they're let go? Wouldn't they essentially be competing with younger pharmacists who are 1) more energetic and more eager to take lower salaries 2) preferred by millennials and gen-z 3) have more robust education (since its now a doctorate)

Not sure what most older pharmacists do but it's an uphill battle to find another job.

Companies don't care about the "robust" education of the PharmD - they choose candidates who accept lower pay, are willing to churn out more prescriptions, are willing to work extra unpaid to get the work done, and are otherwise doormats to company management.

8 interviews? 3 wait lists? Ahhh.. I say screw it. Fix what your interviewing ability and go become a doctor. You already worked so hard, and are so close.

And no, pharmacy is absolutely not a viable career option right now. In terms of cost vs benefit you are better off doing just about anything else.

8 interviews? 3 wait lists? Ahhh.. I say screw it. Fix what your interviewing ability and go become a doctor. You already worked so hard, and are so close.

And no, pharmacy is absolutely not a viable career option right now. In terms of cost vs benefit you are better off doing just about anything else.
The advise should be, become a neurosurgeon, After 20 years, you will make a lot of money.

Reactions: 1 user

I think we are all pharmacists replying to you.

Just to reaffirm, if you are lucky enough to even get a full time job... CVS and Walgreens are paying $43/hr in my area with only 32 guaranteed hours which is pathetic. That comes out to around 71k per year. After taxes, 401k, health insurance etc you're looking at 50k take home at most. Subtract rent, utilities, food, etc and it's not much. So after 4 years of no income you'll have $200,000 in loans to pay off. Good luck trying to save up for a home, wedding, eating out, vacation, having kids, getting a new car, etc in that situation. Plus the working conditions are crap and job security is non-existent. I honestly do not know why anyone would apply to pharmacy school these days.

Reactions: 8 users
And also- sadly-, age discrimination is rampant in retail pharmacy. The chain I previously worked for was getting rid of all pharmacists > 50 years old, allegedly because "millennials were more comfortable with younger pharmacists" and there was a big push to target that age bracket. Gradually over about a year all of the RPhs I knew over 50 were "let go", and i was on the chopping block. Never had so much as a writeup in 15 years with the company prior to their culling of older pharmacists. They simply badger you and write you up for every little thing until they can terminate you. I saw the writing on the wall and got out before being fired, but was on a PIP which is the last formality before they fire you. Experience counts for nothing in pharmacy anymore and age is truly only a liability....
I saw this happen with my own two eyes. I worked for a large grocery chain that starts with a “K”. The regional manager would call or drop in and always directed either veiled or outright threats at the older pharmacists. In ten to twelve years, he’ll be treated similarly. What a way to end a career.

• Care

Holy cow. I gotta check out that donation fund. I might qualify!

I am currently in limbo because I was not fortunate enough to get into medical school despite receiving 8 interviews. I did get placed on 3 wait lists, however, I am not counting on any of those coming through. I also was accepted into a few MS programs, however, am still deciding whether to attend one of the MS programs or move on to a different career path. I am old and tired and really lost right now. I just want to make sure that pharmacy is not a viable option so that I may move on to a different career path. I am thinking of doing an MS program where I could go into a career in the biomedical sciences since I feel I am probably too old to continue pursuing medicine.
It might help if you stop viewing your education as an investment and more of an adventure. For me personally, being an older individual with few friends, it was amazing to be with a young crowd again. Peer group studying, making new friends. That alone was very enjoyable and well worth the borrowed money.

School is the fun part for many people, it's after school, job searching that can be tough yet no one has a life without trials and tribulation. New pharmacists are not alone in suffering after graduation. I would say more than a few new college grads suffer greatly after graduation. Go to any Olive Garden and you will see 60+ year olds still waiting tables some with barerly any life savings. If you are seeking to just make money I would look into programming or radiology technician. But if you want the journey. The adventure. I would go with medical school. It will enrich your life.

I saw this happen with my own two eyes. I worked for a large grocery chain that starts with a “K”. The regional manager would call or drop in and always directed either veiled or outright threats at the older pharmacists. In ten to twelve years, he’ll be treated similarly. What a way to end a career.
If you have a boss, you will always be told what to do... Thats the nature of every job. A dude with MBA in a hospital has more power than a neurosurgeon. If you are expecting to work for someone who will make you feel "appreciated" you are living in wrong times. Its not the 90's anymore...

'Any input from those with knowledge of the future of pharmacy would be greatly appreciated!'

You must be mental. The BLS has already shown that pharmacy is at -3% for the next decade and the has the worst healthcare profession outlook of all the professions. Can you point to ANY evidence that pharmacy will be different for you?

Reactions: 2 users
don't, just don't go.....

Literally 95% of people are being accepted nowdays - that shows what the profession is becomming. We get 100's of applicants for every job.

Be sure to read this thread "Colleges/Universities that have both medical and pharmacy schools beware of rejected medical applications forwarded to pharmacy schools to entice | Student Doctor Network".

The fact that you got as many medical interviews as you did, shows you are good enough for medical school. Not many people are able to even get their foot in the door with an interview at all and rejected at the first review process before interview invites. You should ask them what you could do to strengthen your application, it is likely one or so things that need to be improved and you will be in.

I get that you are getting to the age point. Do not be lured into pharmacy, I am sure some of the schools you did interviews with had pharmacy schools that forwarded your rejected medical application to them to entice you. That is what pharmacy schools will do, they will try to prey on your desperation to accept a consolation prize of somewhat having a career in healthcare by pursuing pharmacy. I would say at least give it one more shot and if things do not go well, try for at least podiatry, dental, or PA. Since you have already likely taken the MCAT, you can use that score for podiatry, and also a lot of PA schools will allow the MCAT to be in place of the GRE. So you do not have to spend time and money to study for another exam like the GRE. You rarely hear of anyone unemployed in those fields and also have a better work/life balance without some corporate big shot regional/district manager hounding you on impossible to accomplish metrics.

Last edited: