Accepted into medschool with 18. Am I too young for this? Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andy C.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
(First of all, I'm so sorry if I write something wrong, English is my third language)

***In my country, medical school is 6 years (it is exactly like in the US, we have the 4 years of medschool .. But the two years of Internship, is provided by the university hospital itself, so the graduation of med school take 6 years.

Here, we finish high school (with 17) and take a test (like the SAT's). If you get insane results, you can get accepted right away into medschool. Most people do prepping courses for this test for years... There aren't many medschool spots, but there are TOO MANY (millions) people trying to get accepted, turn out is super common to see people doing 3, 4, 5, or more years of prepping courses for the test.
I only did eight months and [I still can not belive] got accepted into a public medical school with 18 years old. I won't pay a single dime for my entire six years of med school.
My classes starts in 3 weeks, I will be 19 until than.
AM I TOO F UCKING YOUNG FOR THIS??? My classmates are all 23.. 24..
I look like a freaking child next to them.
Someone in a similar situation can give me tips??

Ps: I already know I will have a physiology test in the 4th week of med school and some MS2 are telling me to start studying right now and I'm slightly freaking out.. Hahaha

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like what I have heard about med school in Brazil! Is that where you happen to be?

If you are set on going to med school (as in, you've shadowed multiple specialties, you know what the day to day life is like, you've talked to people about going into medicine... etc.) then you have to ask yourself what you would do instead of medical school if you did wait. Do you have any productive thing you could do then? Any major thing that your life would not be complete without? If so do that. But make sure it actually means something to you, you don't get too many years in your life.

Keep in mind that being accepted young is a great opportunity too. Many people finish their medical training in their mid-30s, long after most people in other professions have some stability in their lives. Additionally, completing medical training younger allows for you to have more flexibility in your career. For example, you're more likely to be able to go do a cool fellowship. Ultimately, getting out of medical school earlier means more time in your life you get to be a doctor- which IMO is a pretty awesome incentive to do med school early and get out and practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like what I have heard about med school in Brazil! Is that where you happen to be?

If you are set on going to med school (as in, you've shadowed multiple specialties, you know what the day to day life is like, you've talked to people about going into medicine... etc.) then you have to ask yourself what you would do instead of medical school if you did wait. Do you have any productive thing you could do then? Any major thing that your life would not be complete without? If so do that. But make sure it actually means something to you, you don't get too many years in your life.

Keep in mind that being accepted young is a great opportunity too. Many people finish their medical training in their mid-30s, long after most people in other professions have some stability in their lives. Additionally, completing medical training younger allows for you to have more flexibility in your career. For example, you're more likely to be able to go do a cool fellowship. Ultimately, getting out of medical school earlier means more time in your life you get to be a doctor- which IMO is a pretty awesome incentive to do med school early and get out and practice.
Yes! Brazil!
I have no doubts about going to medical school . I worked too hard to give up.
14 hours a day for 2 years of Studying that ridiculous Brazilian high school material, which is SO MUCH MATERIAL (and absolutely worthless) I am almost angry that I will be able to forget 99% now that I got accepted into medical school. I will never understand why they make us study like that.. I can describe for you, in details, The entire history of China. How that will help me in Medschool now!??
The U.S. system is so much better...
But I guess I am just freaking out a little bit because I'm the youngest in a 60 people class med school.
Thank God it's not illegal for me to drink here, otherwise would be very hard to socialize.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a 20 year old in my class, she doesn't seem out of place. You'll be fine.

Medical school is another few years of remembering useless information. (Why do I have to know what chromosomes all these mutations are on!??!?)

Reactions: 1 users
Over here (Greece), mostly everyone is accepted at 18/19 for a six year course. You'll be fine!

Medical school is another few years of remembering useless information. (Why do I have to know what chromosomes all these mutations are on!??!?)

True. But at least in med school the "useless information" is related to medicine. The high school material in Brazil is SO MUCH... in such a great amount of details... It's unexplainable. Somethings would be really for undergrad/college level, and they just make us waste time. But we don't have much choice too... My med school was like.. 6k people applying for 30 spots. You need to basically ace that ****. (I am white and went to private schools, so I only have the constitutional right to apply for half the number of seats in public universities, my medschool has a total of 60 people class, but half gain some "bonus" for racial, income, native brazilian.. etc)

Over here (Greece), mostly everyone is accepted at 18/19 for a six year course. You'll be fine!

I see!
Here, would be like that if there was enough seats for everyone... But medicine is insanely competitive, and most people only pass on the test after many years of prepping... Most with 22..23..24...
I belive I am the youngest of my class, so it is a bit frightening to take such a huge course like Medicine with only 18 years old... I am nowhere near a genius too. Which make the situation even worse. hahaha

I see!
Here, would be like that if there was enough seats for everyone... But medicine is insanely competitive, and most people only pass on the test after many years of prepping... Most with 22..23..24...
I belive I am the youngest of my class, so it is a bit frightening to take such a huge course like Medicine with only 18 years old... I am nowhere near a genius too. Which make the situation even worse. hahaha

It's the same around here as well. A very small percentage of applicants make it past the competitive exams, but most of those who failed give up after the first or second attempt and settle for another subject. We do have our share of older students in my year, but they are a minority.

Don't worry. If anything, be glad that you will start work several years before everybody else!

I wouldn't worry about it! You might feel intimidated at first (as I have felt - I started this year at 18 aswell, and it does not help that I look young...except when I'll be 70 or something :p) but really, Med school is a new journey for everyone and everyone in my course was pretty much at the same level once we started. It's quite funny actually, 'cos I can relate to the 'older' students (25+) in my class much more than I can to other 18/19 year olds. It all boils down to how hard you're willing to work, and it looks like you already possess that hardworking trait! Goodluck :)

You will immediately die and be eaten, sorry.

Serious: Can you remember things? If yes, then you can med school. If no, you cannot med school.

I wouldn't worry about it! You might feel intimidated at first (as I have felt - I started this year at 18 aswell, and it does not help that I look young...except when I'll be 70 or something :p) but really, Med school is a new journey for everyone and everyone in my course was pretty much at the same level once we started. It's quite funny actually, 'cos I can relate to the 'older' students (25+) in my class much more than I can to other 18/19 year olds. It all boils down to how hard you're willing to work, and it looks like you already possess that hardworking trait! Goodluck :)
Yeah. I can work hard. But I will definitely not take to the level that I took in the prepping course . I will try to seek help to have a more balanced and healthy life style. In the last two years I had major Health issues because of the level of stress... Hair loss, gained 16kg, horrible migraines, insomnia, I was really almost getting depressed... I was literally so tired I would just give up if I didn't passed the test this year.
A guy in my prepping course ended up killing himself last year after trying for many years to pass... He overdosed with sleeping pills, or something like that...
Some people just can't take the pressure of disappointing there parents.
Well, do you have some specific tips that you believe would facilitate my life as a young MS1?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In the last two years I had major Health issues because of the level of stress... Hair loss, gained 16kg, anemia, horrible migraines, insomnia, I was really almost getting depressed... I was literally so tired I would just give up if I didn't passed the test this year.

Sooooooooooooooooo I don't know how to break this to you...

Sooooooooooooooooo I don't know how to break this to you...
I know.. I know.. People say will get much worse.. BUT, I see many MS2 Who are pretty healthy.. They don't seem to have any problems in managing their studies and level of stress. I will try to be like that. I also believe it's going to be a very different type of pressure . I was studying for 12 months for ONE test only, that was going to determine my whole future. Failing would mean another year studying for the same ****. Medschool, i believe, it's different because you break down the pressure into several tests, semesters..

I know.. I know.. People say will get much worse.. BUT, I see many MS2 Who are pretty healthy.. They don't seem to have any problems in managing their studies and level of stress. I will try to be like that. I also believe it's going to be a very different type of pressure . I was studying for 12 months for ONE test only, that was going to determine my whole future. Failing would mean another year studying for the same ****. Medschool, i believe, it's different because you break down the pressure into several tests, semesters..

Oh, yeah. Way different.

*continues studying for step 1*

Oh, yeah. Way different.

*continues studying for step 1*
HAHAHAHAH
Yes, taking the USMLEs tests must be really exhausting.. But there is nothing like that in my country... Thank god.
Even though I can not say I never thought about doing residency in the U.S. It's a possibility that I can work with in the next six years...
Even though I'm white as hell (German grandparents) I would probably have to work a lot to lose completely my accent.. So I would not suffer too much xenophobia. God bless America.

Everyone in pakistan, India, UK, and pretty much every other country in Asia has people starting medical school right after 12 years of high school education. It's quite the norm in the world actually. You should be fine, if you work hard. Age doesn't have anything to do with it. Just be willing to put in a lot of effort.

Yeah. I can work hard. But I will definitely not take to the level that I took in the prepping course . I will try to seek help to have a more balanced and healthy life style. In the last two years I had major Health issues because of the level of stress... Hair loss, gained 16kg, horrible migraines, insomnia, I was really almost getting depressed... I was literally so tired I would just give up if I didn't passed the test this year.
A guy in my prepping course ended up killing himself last year after trying for many years to pass... He overdosed with sleeping pills, or something like that...
Some people just can't take the pressure of disappointing there parents.
Well, do you have some specific tips that you believe would facilitate my life as a young MS1?

Stress is inevitable, and some people always come up with lame excuses to bring you down... I've been told, countless times, if I wouldn't rather just travel the world, take dating seriously, take a gap year, just enjoy 'life' before embarking on such a competitive/'isolating'/stressful journey... maybe you've been through the same? If it's what you really want to do, then stay. No amount of travel, relationships, whatever will replace the feeling of studying and having the chance to understand a complex system such as the body, and actually getting a chance to make a difference to someone's life. If you truly believe that that's where you want to be, then never re-think your choices. Despite what other students around you do. It's what keeps me in perspective, and sane :p

I'm incredibly sorry for your colleague, it's a very hard course, and I too have been faced with uncertainty, depressive thoughts and all the works. I do believe that the first semester of the course bites you right in the backside, and shows you what it's got... don't worry, you'll adapt... eventually, the material gets harder but you do get better.

To answer your question, I don't have tips per se, but what works for me is to just concentrate on what I'm doing, not care what people tell me to try and make me give up (especially people who aren't even in Med school), find out what study technique works for you, prioritise what needs to be done, take breaks (days or weekends off are normal. Don't feel guilty), and realise what you're up for! Med school is such a great opportunity to learn things that are essentially the core of what we are. Age really doesn't matter if you work hard.

Private message me if I missed anything, I don't mind :)

Stress is inevitable, and some people always come up with lame excuses to bring you down... I've been told, countless times, if I wouldn't rather just travel the world, take dating seriously, take a gap year, just enjoy 'life' before embarking on such a competitive/'isolating'/stressful journey... maybe you've been through the same? If it's what you really want to do, then stay. No amount of travel, relationships, whatever will replace the feeling of studying and having the chance to understand a complex system such as the body, and actually getting a chance to make a difference to someone's life. If you truly believe that that's where you want to be, then never re-think your choices. Despite what other students around you do. It's what keeps me in perspective, and sane :p

I'm incredibly sorry for your colleague, it's a very hard course, and I too have been faced with uncertainty, depressive thoughts and all the works. I do believe that the first semester of the course bites you right in the backside, and shows you what it's got... don't worry, you'll adapt... eventually, the material gets harder but you do get better.

To answer your question, I don't have tips per se, but what works for me is to just concentrate on what I'm doing, not care what people tell me to try and make me give up (especially people who aren't even in Med school), find out what study technique works for you, prioritise what needs to be done, take breaks (days or weekends off are normal. Don't feel guilty), and realise what you're up for! Med school is such a great opportunity to learn things that are essentially the core of what we are. Age really doesn't matter if you work hard.

Private message me if I missed anything, I don't mind :)
Thanks bro, I appreciate it.
I had almost 4 months to be on vacation... I got my "sanity" back, so I will start medschool "fresh". hahahah
So.. I am excited and willing to work hard.
Thanks for the words.

As far as I know, students in China take a uniform exam after their high school, covering everything they learned thus far (all subjects). If they did ok, they get to go to medical school, at the age of 17-18. Another example that I know would be Quebec, we get the chance to attend medicals school after 1 year of prep class after CEGEP, so technically one can get into medical school proper at the age of 19.

TLDR: no, it's not that uncommon, and yes you will survive like everyone else. I used to think there's nothing that's gonna be harder than my highschool/undergrad/master, guess what, you get to discover that you are much more capable of handling stuff than you think you can. It's like playing Dark Soul, it never gets easier, you just get better.

Dear OP, academically I'm sure you'll be fine. But have you asked yourself if you WANT to do this at this time in your life? Essentially, you've been working hard to get in, you'll be working hard for 6 more years, then working for money the rest of your life. When do you get a chance to be young, have experiences, travel, create memories, etc? You don't wanna look back on your and feel you wasted it constantly "working".
As an FYI, we admitted a 20yo to our class and while she is brilliant, she lacks social tact and cues: she says "ok bye, I love you" as her really unprofessional farewell; she has attended talks by amazing physicians and does schoolwork while they're talking (disrespectful), AND! She has even leaned on me, bored, while we were in the OR in front the head of OB/Gyn
Just something to think about. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm in the US and we had a younger student in our class (18 or 19) who did fine. They are actually MD/PhD which adds extra years so they won't be graduating with us, but they are still friends with people in our class and fit in pretty well. Our class had a party when they turned 21 lol (b/c of the drinking age here). It's pretty common to start younger in other parts of the world too as others have pointed out. I think you will be fine, just be yourself and be nice to others and I'm sure you will get along with people in your class.

If you are really unsure is there a way to defer and maybe work for a year or two? If you can't do that and it's that competitive, I would probably keep your spot.

I would be concerned about the effects the stress has on your health too. It might be a one-time thing but you don't want it to happen again in medical school if you can help it - maybe use the time you have before you start to research and try out different coping strategies for stress like meditation, writing, etc. and even talk to your doctor about it.

in Ghana med students are mostly between ages 18 to 26. it's a six year course.i guess you will do OK.

I'm in the US and we had a younger student in our class (18 or 19) who did fine. They are actually MD/PhD which adds extra years so they won't be graduating with us, but they are still friends with people in our class and fit in pretty well. Our class had a party when they turned 21 lol (b/c of the drinking age here). It's pretty common to start younger in other parts of the world too as others have pointed out. I think you will be fine, just be yourself and be nice to others and I'm sure you will get along with people in your class.

If you are really unsure is there a way to defer and maybe work for a year or two? If you can't do that and it's that competitive, I would probably keep your spot.

I would be concerned about the effects the stress has on your health too. It might be a one-time thing but you don't want it to happen again in medical school if you can help it - maybe use the time you have before you start to research and try out different coping strategies for stress like meditation, writing, etc. and even talk to your doctor about it.
Yeah, i did that already. My doctor said I could prevent almost all of the side effects of stress with a lot of working out and good healthy food. Also told me that I could do less hours of studying per day (I did almost 8 hours at home everyday, plus 6/8 hours In class, for waaaaaay to long, I was getting crazy) because my medschool was gone be PBL style, so I would get A LOT less wasting time in class. And I did not went to gym whatsoever last year... Definitely will go now. And I do believe that last hours of studying (maybe 5/6 every day) will be enough. Of course studying more in test weeks of stuff like that..

Yeah, i did that already. My doctor said I could prevent almost all of the side effects of stress with a lot of working out and good healthy food. Also told me that I could do less hours of studying per day (I did almost 8 hours at home everyday, plus 6/8 hours In class, for waaaaaay to long, I was getting crazy) because my medschool was gone be PBL style, so I would get A LOT less wasting time in class. And I did not went to gym whatsoever last year... Definitely will go now. And I do believe that last hours of studying (maybe 5/6 every day) will be enough. Of course studying more in test weeks of stuff like that..
Sounds like you have a good plan in place!

We have several kids like you at my school, and it's not as uncommon as you might think. I'll bet you're not the only young one at your med school. I just found out that one of my attendings went to college at age 12. He blends right in. There are plenty of kids who went to college early at our school as well. They also all blend right in. Medical school involves a social learning curve for everyone, and part of professional maturation involves learning the social ropes. Assimilation will be inevitable. Plus, we mostly all started as nerds anyway. Don't get caught up in all the hype when first year starts. Just focus on your work and doing it well. Before you know it, you'll be acting like and carrying yourself like a doctor.

We have several kids like you at my school, and it's not as uncommon as you might think. I'll bet you're not the only young one at your med school. I just found out that one of my attendings went to college at age 12. He blends right in. There are plenty of kids who went to college early at our school as well. They also all blend right in. Medical school involves a social learning curve for everyone, and part of professional maturation involves learning the social ropes. Assimilation will be inevitable. Plus, we mostly all started as nerds anyway. Don't get caught up in all the hype when first year starts. Just focus on your work and doing it well. Before you know it, you'll be acting like and carrying yourself like a doctor.
woooow.. 12???
i am faaaaar away from being a genius like that..
i didnt imagine that was so common to get into medschool so young, in other places around the world... but, now, i am just excited to start. cant wait anymore. hahah
thanks

(First of all, I'm so sorry if I write something wrong, English is my third language)

***In my country, medical school is 6 years (it is exactly like in the US, we have the 4 years of medschool .. But the two years of Internship, is provided by the university hospital itself, so the graduation of med school take 6 years.

Here, we finish high school (with 17) and take a test (like the SAT's). If you get insane results, you can get accepted right away into medschool. Most people do prepping courses for this test for years... There aren't many medschool spots, but there are TOO MANY (millions) people trying to get accepted, turn out is super common to see people doing 3, 4, 5, or more years of prepping courses for the test.
I only did eight months and [I still can not belive] got accepted into a public medical school with 18 years old. I won't pay a single dime for my entire six years of med school.

Ps: I already know I will have a physiology test in the 4th week of med school and some MS2 are telling me to start studying right now and I'm slightly freaking out.. Hahaha
Your maturity is not based upon age alone. I've seen a bunch of 20 something acting like teenagers.

Find an adult and learn how to live a life like one.

i am laughing my ass off with this.. oh my god.. HOW COULD I BE SO NAIVE??? i feel so embarrassed reading this.. oh god.. hahahaha i feel like med school made me grow up so fast now, cause i read this and i fell like i was 11 years old when i wrote so many stupid things...

Last edited:
Glad you're not as stressed through med school. Best of luck with your remaining 5 years :)
i got stressed.. for sure. BUT, medschool was nothing like i imagined.. is 1000000% manageable.. there is moments of stress and hardcore studying.. but also A LOT of drinking, partying and having a great time. I feel like i was a kid when i got accepted.. for sure i was not prepared for living alone on the other side of the country... seeing my parents only at the end of each semester (so, i see them just twice every year).. that just made me grow so fast..
I think i finally am living something valuable and meaningful, and that my life has purpose.. and that's great.
By the way, FOR SURE i going to the U.S. for residency... radio would be the dream hahhaha i freaking love Texas.. best place in the US. Went there last year and fell in love. I just feel like it's the Only place where i can shoot a 50 cal BMG and not go to prison hahahah love it. I am now focusing on my english, richer experiences, leadership experiences, etc.. since i still have almost 5 years.. (even though i do read FA and other "american resources" from time to time...)