Accepted into PA school, but now debating NP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caliguy88

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Pre-med decided after applying that was not what I wanted. PA seemed like the perfect fit, but now I am debating NP. The main reason is that NP seems to be a better financial choice, with more long term options and a higher glass ceiling (or lack thereof). Unfortunately my eyes were only opened to the politics after being offered a seat of admission.

Some of my pre-reqs are approaching 10 years old, but most are within 5. What appeals to me is being able to work as an RN while in school, perhaps work while obtaining the RN/BSN.. I honestly don't know which is the smarter option...going to PA school or taking a route that leads to NP. I appreciate any suggestions or advise.

Edit: I want to be working in CA during my career if that has any sway in the matter

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a PA school acceptance in hand, go to PA school. You’ll be done in two years, and NP school could take well over 4 for you under most circumstances. How much debt will you have after PA school? If you aren’t breaking the bank, then the smart money is on that. Most PAs aren’t going to be doing work that is that much different than most NPs. Most NPs aren’t interested in the headache of running their own practices. About half the states allow NPs to be independent, but that leaves half that don't, so that’s something to think about. If you don’t have any healthy care experience, you might as well go into PA, because the training is very good, and they are now really catering to the folks out there who don’t have good health care experience.

The PAs that are most bent out of shape about NPs having the upper hand with regard to a few things tend to be more of the old school PAs who are alpha types, and tend to chaffe at a lot of things where they don’t feel respected. The newer generation of PAs accepts their role as a dependent provider because they’ve never known anything else, and it can certainly be comforting to be supervised, especially if being a PA is the first role you’ve ever had in healthcare where you had a lot of responsibility. That’s not to say that these PAs couldn’t grow to be the kind of provider that can operate with high degrees of autonomy, but it’s not really necessary. I don’t mean any of that as a dis to them. Most NPs also like oversight for them, especially if they don’t have the skill set to be a go getter.

To recap... if you have a spot waiting for you in the fall, you should definitely take it (if your debt won’t be sky high). I went into NP for very specific reasons that I would say are different than even most NPs. Being independent is critical to what I do now, but a lot of my decision was also about personal achievement and flexibility that I probably will never utilize. But I over prepare and feel most comfortable when I have the most options. I also could be very comfortable without as many options if I had to.

Reactions: 1 users
Go to PA school. Don't turn down and acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
To recap... if you have a spot waiting for you in the fall, you should definitely take it (if your debt won’t be sky high). I went into NP for very specific reasons that I would say are different than even most NPs. Being independent is critical to what I do now, but a lot of my decision was also about personal achievement and flexibility that I probably will never utilize. But I over prepare and feel most comfortable when I have the most options. I also could be very comfortable without as many options if I had to.

This actually sounds very similar to my mentality and decision making process. Honestly i looked at the loans today and that was crazy approx 110k for the school related expenses and approx 60k for 2 year living expenses (probably estimated high) for a total principal of 170k. When factoring out taxes ect it looks like the break even point is approximately 5-6 years or 3-5 if aggressive. This makes me question it even more..

It does seem more sensible to do the PA program though since it is currently at hand..

This actually sounds very similar to my mentality and decision making process. Honestly i looked at the loans today and that was crazy approx 110k for the school related expenses and approx 60k for 2 year living expenses (probably estimated high) for a total principal of 170k. When factoring out taxes ect it looks like the break even point is approximately 5-6 years or 3-5 if aggressive. This makes me question it even more..

It does seem more sensible to do the PA program though since it is currently at hand..

It’s normal to go over the “what-ifs” in your head before you start something like this. However, you have a PA spot, you should take it, and trust your decision.

Reactions: 1 user

That’s a lot of debt, but you’d have to go to school full time in an accelerated BSN program if you wanted to do nursing. You’d lose time and money as well. Time is probably the most precious thing you’d lose at this point. Seriously, I’d jump on the PA school invite you have on hand. That’s a good situation. The more factors involved in a plan, the more points where disruption can occur. For you, the NP path would take quite a bit longer. I would. It turn that down if I were you. It’s a great opportunity.

That’s a lot of debt, but you’d have to go to school full time in an accelerated BSN program if you wanted to do nursing. You’d lose time and money as well. Time is probably the most precious thing you’d lose at this point. Seriously, I’d jump on the PA school invite you have on hand. That’s a good situation. The more factors involved in a plan, the more points where disruption can occur. For you, the NP path would take quite a bit longer. I would. It turn that down if I were you. It’s a great opportunity.

Is there a way to reduce this amount of debt (besides reducing living costs like rent) or is there any path with a faster break even point? *edit*

also, I agree with the time loss. Is it worse to lose the time on the front end of waiting to get into school or time/opportunities lost while paying off debt?

I'm always more uncomfortable with the notion of losing time on the front end if it risks losing the opportunity altogether. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush, and the same applies with PA school because its hard enough to get into. You have that right there in front of you, but it might not be in front of you later.

Another way to examine the issue is thus: can you pay off more debt right now with a job that pays very little?, or will you pay off more debt with a job that pays a lot more? If the future you is going to be a PA in the next five years regardless, then it makes sense to pay those debts down when you have a greater income vs when you are making just above minimum wage. Where I see people getting into trouble is they choose to not live within their means, especially with someone else's money (which is what loan money is). They justify vacations and expenses that they wouldn't otherwise choose, or they choose the more expensive options over the cheaper ones. Once I became an NP, I had a much easier time paying bills than when I was just an RN. But my expenses were going to be the same whether or not I went to NP school or not. The money I'm bringing in, which is around double my RN highest wage, has not changed how I spend money. The one difference is that I actually work less hours as an NP in my core job as I did as an RN, I could make even more money if I wanted, but the one thing I'm really greedy about is my time.

Once I became an NP, I had a much easier time paying bills than when I was just an RN. But my expenses were going to be the same whether or not I went to NP school or not. The money I'm bringing in, which is around double my RN highest wage, has not changed how I spend money. The one difference is that I actually work less hours as an NP in my core job as I did as an RN, I could make even more money if I wanted, but the one thing I'm really greedy about is my time.

How much of a factor do you believe the debt is? What i thought aggressive payments in 3-5 years looks like 6.5 aggressive and 10 years probably normal. I think it would be imperative to cut living costs down from 30/year while in school, especially since I will just be studying 24/7 anyways.

However, now i am just wonder (not even thinking about NP) if an RN program would be better. if I could find one I could go to for 40k (not even accelerated), its possible i could work during to cover living expenses or some, use my current savings to cover most of the COA and tuition.. and then i guess focus my efforts on doing overnights and double shifts right off the bat to earn 80k. Basically breaking even right away.

Do you know how the discretionary income would be in this scenario vs finishing the PA program? It seems like a better deal financially.. maybe not in roughly 10 years after the PA debt is cleared...but at that point perhaps I would want to look into NP again.

I don't know if its wrong, but I am thinking mainly from a financial viewpoint right now.

I appreciate the help

How much of a factor do you believe the debt is? What i thought aggressive payments in 3-5 years looks like 6.5 aggressive and 10 years probably normal. I think it would be imperative to cut living costs down from 30/year while in school, especially since I will just be studying 24/7 anyways.

However, now i am just wonder (not even thinking about NP) if an RN program would be better. if I could find one I could go to for 40k (not even accelerated), its possible i could work during to cover living expenses or some, use my current savings to cover most of the COA and tuition.. and then i guess focus my efforts on doing overnights and double shifts right off the bat to earn 80k. Basically breaking even right away.

Do you know how the discretionary income would be in this scenario vs finishing the PA program? It seems like a better deal financially.. maybe not in roughly 10 years after the PA debt is cleared...but at that point perhaps I would want to look into NP again.

I don't know if its wrong, but I am thinking mainly from a financial viewpoint right now.

I appreciate the help

Weekend program nights with working agency on the side is the best money you can find in nursing. I’m still encouraging you to take your PA acceptance though.