Accepted into Pharmacy School but charged with a felony. Where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mokej

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did something really stupid. I had my first court date today and got formally charged with a felony. It's not for something violent, sexual, theft, or drug related but still a felony. My lawyer says it will most likely be reduced to a misdemeanor in the end. The school I was accepted to will send out request for a background check in a couple weeks. Am I completely screwed for life?

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you passed the school's background check, you need to check with the board of pharmacy of your state whether you can get the intern license during school and RPh license after you graduate.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Think you can shake the charge? Plea deal, deferred prosecution, something like that? I know someone who was falsely accused of something that led to a felony charge back in undergrad and they were able to make it go away like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Even if you passed the school's background check, you need to check with the board of pharmacy of your state whether you can get the intern license during school and RPh license after you graduate.

True... it's up to your state board of pharmacy to give you the intern license, the school accepting you means nothing if the BOP won't grant you an intern license.

Reactions: 1 users
It totally depends on your state and whether or not you get convicted or have it reduced. In some states there are 0 pharmacists practicing who have a felony even though it's not an official rule/law. I know a guy in my class was charged with possession of a CI and was able to get into school and get his intern license, but it wasn't a felony charge, it was a long time ago, and he had to go through a board hearing just for his intern license. I presume since they granted his intern license he will be fine when he gets his pharmacist license. It's just impossible to stay seeing as the charge could be reduced, we don't know the nature of the crime, and we don't know what state you live in. All I can say for sure is that the fact that this is resent will not help.

Even if you somehow get licensed, just know that every pharmacy job asks if you've ever had a felony and they do a background check that would uncover it if you lie. Heck, I was just asked by a potential employer if I've ever had a minor traffic violation (e.g. Speeding, not stopping at stop signs).

Even if you somehow get licensed, just know that every pharmacy job asks if you've ever had a felony and they do a background check that would uncover it if you lie. Heck, I was just asked by a potential employer if I've ever had a minor traffic violation (e.g. Speeding, not stopping at stop signs).

Some state jobs won't hire you if you've had more than a few tickets, especially if you get a state car (board of pharmacy inspector).

Oh dang. Good to know. Do they care about tickets you've gotten recently, or your whole life? This place asked if I've ever had minor traffic violation.

I'm not too sure to be honest, I'm thinking it's either in the last so many years or active points on your license. I know a state employee (not pharmacy) who was telling me about it. Also it probably just depends on the state.

I'm pretty sure most people have gotten a ticket.

Felony hit and run or something vehicle related

Once you've ruled out everything else (drug, violent, sexual, theft) that's all I can think of off the top of my head

Felony hit and run or something vehicle related

Once you've ruled out everything else (drug, violent, sexual, theft) that's all I can think of off the top of my head

Counterfeiting is the first thing that I thought of lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Charged doesn't mean conviction.

LOL that is pretty stupid. Not sure how pharm. schools would feel about it, but that's definitely up there.

I remember a story of a kid that got kicked out of school because he got arrested for selling counterfeit brand name T shirts

Reactions: 2 users
I did something really stupid. I had my first court date today and got formally charged with a felony. It's not for something violent, sexual, theft, or drug related but still a felony. My lawyer says it will most likely be reduced to a misdemeanor in the end. The school I was accepted to will send out request for a background check in a couple weeks. Am I completely screwed for life?

Why are you being so vague if you're asking advice for an extremely specific situation?

If you have free tuition, then go ahead and ride with the flow. If you don't. Get out, now.

I am in FL. I am a recent graduate and unemployed (my record is clear as water). In all job applications I have seen (have applied to over 500 so far). They ALWAYS ask if you ever had any type of felony, it doesn't matter if it was fish related (if that even exist) or whatever related. They also ALWAYS ask for misdemeanor. Some of them ask even about DUI convictions. Job market will be even tougher when you get out of pharmacy school. You WILL be competing with THOUSANDS of pharmacists with records as clean as new born babies.

Just go now and "mock apply" for a pharmacy job anywhere and bs your way through. See it for yourself the type of questions they ask.

If you decide to go, just make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Just don't go.

Did you list it in your pharmcas application ?? There was a section there dedicated to misdemanors, felonies, ap ,etc..

Did you list it in your pharmcas application ?? There was a section there dedicated to misdemanors, felonies, ap ,etc..

It happened after the acceptance decision was made

It happened after the acceptance decision was made

How long until your adjudication? If it is going to be awhile, consult with the pharmacy school you were accepted to and the state board of pharmacy before you drop money on the first semester of pharmacy school - they will be able to give you information that will allow you to make a better judgement on the risk vs. benefit of continuing with pharmacy school at this time. It might be a better idea to defer your admission to pharmacy school until you get the legal stuff sorted out, depending on what the school and board of pharmacy tell you. If all charges are dropped you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting licensed. If you were actually arrested at any point, you still may have to report it to future employers, even if you weren't convicted. It'll depend on the employer and/or if you are able to get your records sealed. Just an arrest record with no convictions shouldn't prohibit you from getting licensed as far as I remember, but if you end up being convicted, or even receive a deferred judgement, it can jeopardize your ability to get licensed as a pharmacist, not to mention actually gain employment in a very competitive job market.

Also, you have a lawyer - shouldn't they be telling you if you're screwed for life / advise you on how to approach your school and the state board of pharmacy about this?

Reactions: 3 users

lol... are you referring to the pharmacist (or intern, I can't remember) who got their RPh licensed revoked for counterfeiting t-shirts?

Omg I just saw on the news that fifteen college Patriots fans were charged with felonies for destroying cars after the Super Bowl...... Could this be...?

Sorry I shouldn't be nosy. I know I shouldn't be...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

lol... are you referring to the pharmacist (or intern, I can't remember) who got their RPh licensed revoked for counterfeiting t-shirts?

I did hear that story but I was referring to cash. I actually just watched a documentary on it... people in Mexico managed to print millions every single day for over a decade before the FBI traced the source and went into the jungle to arrest them. There was also a Canadian guy who was counterfeiting American money and it was essentially undetectable. The only reason they caught him was because he sold money to an undercover cop.

A lot of the fish and game laws can be felonies for seemingly minor violations.

A lot of the fish and game laws can be felonies for seemingly minor violations.

Really? well maybe if you're smuggling lobster tails or red snapper during the off season haha

I remember being taught in Boy Scouts that you could go to jail for picking up certain bird feathers off the ground. A quick google search shows that this is actually true.

I remember being taught in Boy Scouts that you could go to jail for picking up certain bird feathers off the ground. A quick google search shows that this is actually true.
Is it true that it's illegal to take arrow heads? I feel like I heard that but I don't care to google. Until you correct me I will keep saying that.

I bet the OP was the dentist who killed Cecil the Lion.
You can't return to society as an anonymous pharmacist...we will hunt you down just like you did to poor Cecil!

Maybe he should be allowed to return as an anonymous pharmacist so that he can pay dues for prescribing amoxicillin 500mg tablets.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I would explain the heck out of that "yes" question, make sure the the lawyer reduces the charge, and have the background check run through because at the end of the day, you will have to explain yourself.