Accepted MD, Can I enroll in leisure classes at CC during gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnPocoLoco

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to get some input from the community on this form. So I was fortunate to get an acceptance this December and have just been relaxing since. Though, lately, I've been particularly interested in learning more business oriented skills. Some background of mine, my parents have a business in a field unrelated to health of which I have no technical experience in. As I'm currently in my gap year I thought that this the perfect opportunity to get some new skills.

So far, I thought about taking 6-9 credits of courses in Accounting/IS this coming Spring at a CC I've gone to before just to get a foundation in this field. Though the opinion I've got from friends has been mixed. Most have been telling me with an A it wont be worth the hassle of updating transcripts, that I should take the classes for P/F, or that I should just do a Coursera courses instead and skip the need to update my school.

Will I potentially face any headaches with admissions for wanting to pursue this? Or am I actually better off trying to self-study/Coursera accounting?

Members don't see this ad.

heck yeah! I did just that during my gap year. Took some Spanish and science classes. I wish I took micro/macro or something like that. I audited all mine too which meant learning for learning sakes. My school was chill with it. Check with your school to dot i's and cross t's, but highly encouraged from my POV anyway.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
I'm taking classes for fun; and was doing that as my gap year plan before being accepted lmao. I didn't even think about the transcript thing though--I didn't think they cared that much honestly but maybe I need to look into that now

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s never too early to start preparing for Step 1...

• Haha
Yes it is too early (even moreso as it will P/F soon). Premed is too early.
IKR. Already behind with my step 2 prep, and I already graduated from college...

Reactions: 1 user
I just wanted to get some input from the community on this form. So I was fortunate to get an acceptance this December and have just been relaxing since. Though, lately, I've been particularly interested in learning more business oriented skills. Some background of mine, my parents have a business in a field unrelated to health of which I have no technical experience in. As I'm currently in my gap year I thought that this the perfect opportunity to get some new skills.

So far, I thought about taking 6-9 credits of courses in Accounting/IS this coming Spring at a CC I've gone to before just to get a foundation in this field. Though the opinion I've got from friends has been mixed. Most have been telling me with an A it wont be worth the hassle of updating transcripts, that I should take the classes for P/F, or that I should just do a Coursera courses instead and skip the need to update my school.

Will I potentially face any headaches with admissions for wanting to pursue this? Or am I actually better off trying to self-study/Coursera accounting?
I seriously doubt admissions is going to look down on the fact that you want to continue your education prior to medical school. Lifelong learning, right? If your CC has the ability to send an electronic transcript, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for the admissions department to update your file. I'd just be sure that your Spring term course grades will be posted at least a couple of weeks prior to your matriculation date.

Since no one else has said it yet, while I 100% respect the pursuit of practical knowledge, this is one of your last chances to engage in something outside the academic and career-oriented sphere.

I spent my last summer before school working because I had to keep the bills paid. But I wish I’d had the opportunity to travel or pursue some kind of hobby. That being said, I don’t know your situation but a short term employment opportunity may give you skills that will help you on rotations and in practice. customer service skills have a good carry over to making patients feel valued and listened to. And getting comfortable working under a manager may help with the culture shock that comes from being a premed at the top of the food chain to an MS3 at the bottom during rotations in a very hierarchical organization.

If you aren’t already comfortable cooking cheap, fast meals then now is also a great time to learn!

Just some other things to think about.

Thanks y'all for the input! I've been working in customer service since I was in high school so I think I'm pretty good in regard to experience. I'm going to just double-check with my school to get approval to audit classes. I was recently offered a FT job that pays pretty well so now I'll have to see which endeavor means more to me now.

Thanks y'all for the input! I've been working in customer service since I was in high school so I think I'm pretty good in regard to experience. I'm going to just double-check with my school to get approval to audit classes. I was recently offered a FT job that pays pretty well so now I'll have to see which endeavor means more to me now.
Again I don't know your exact background but I'd say take the job and self-teach accounting, especially if you'll be financing medical school with loans. There's an abundance of reliable, free resources online like Khan Academy and openstax. Reddit's finance subs probably have a more current list of where you can learn to manage finances. You could also probably stuff a course in during a summer in medical school. If you take the job, anything you make can be subtracted from your student loans and their ever-compounding interest. If you're not taking loans, there's still a lot to be said for living more comfortably in medical school.