Accepted/Not Accepted with GPA under 3.3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoffeeCat

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In response to the low MCAT thread, I thought I'd start a thread about lowish GPA acceptances or people with low GPAs not accepted (which is also very important). Share anything you feel comfortable with (GPA/UGrad school/ECs/Future med school/MCAT). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a good idea for a thread. I haven't gotten my acceptance/rejection yet, but I do have a low GPA.
((GPA/UGrad school/ECs/Future med school)••
(2.4/MIT/Internship at Scripps Health in the Office of the President, Habitat for Humanity, Teach for America, AIDS Walk Volunteer/UWash

It's very helpful for me, as a premed, to see people with similar stats. Thanks for posting, wolferman and I hope others do the same. The "accepted stats" post is full of high gpas and I know there are SDNers out there with lower gpas and acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
gpa: 3.31
ugrad: american academy of art and uchicago
EC's: volunteer children's memorial ED, Bunch of school related stuff
Future med school: TBA
MCAT: (latest) 12/9/9 O
Work Exp: Advertising 2yrs / Researcher (fmri) 1.5 yrs

CoffeeCat, like you mentioned, make sure you take the other stat thread with a grain of salt :)

Aim for a 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT. If your MCAT is lower you'll need a higher GPA and if your GPA is lower, it's best to get a higher MCAT score. Grade trends count too as well as how your MCAT score is distributed.

EC's count too (of course) as well as interviews (more than people think!!!) so don't forget this.

Well anyway that's my 2 cents.

megkudos,
I'm curious, is there a number that admissions calculates that takes account of both MCAT and GPA? For example, the sum of MCAT and ten times GPA.

Hi Coffeecat! Here's my stuff:

GPA: 3.06 (but big upward trend)
UGRAD: U of Minnesota
ECs: Hospital Volunteer, Tutor, Ochem TA, Film Club founder, athlete
MCAT: 13-15V 11P 13B Q
ACCEPTED: U of Minnesota; U of Iowa
INTERVIEWED AND WAITING: Northwestern
FUTURE MED SCHOOL: 95% sure I'll attend U of MN.

I think a strong upward trend in grades coupled with a good MCAT can go a long way in compensating for a low GPA.

Brickmanli, many schools do indeed use a formula that includes both GPA and MCAT to make initial cuts.

I have to tell you folks that are asking about accaptances with low scores, gpa ect.

In my three years as a premed and three more years as a paramedic considering pre-med, I have asked you questions and similar questions many times.

Guess what, it never alleviates your anxiety and doubts. It never will make you feel better about your chances more more than a moment because you will find a hundred more threads of people with a 3.7 or 29 mcat who got rejected.

My advice, listen to advice on how to increase your chances, try not to worry about other people's numbers, try to control your anxiety and doubt(it is natural), do your BEST, because there are so many variables in medical school admissions that NOBODY can accuratly predict anyones chances, or even make an educated guess really other than obvious red flags(like gpa<3.0 ect.)

One could even argue that somebody who was accepted this year would actually NOT have a 100% chance of acceptance next year, it is just an extremely variable and objective process.

Some schools may have their own "formula" but if they do they don't tell any of us :) I'm just talking about averages of accepted applicants.

Medic - very true, but I think for people new to the admissions process they can use this information to get a sense on where they stand in the ranks of other applicants, and which schools seem most favorable to people in their situation.

GPA (undergrad) 3.28 - upward trend from a 3.0 firt two years
Undergrad: UCSD
ECs: TA, tutor, grad student council, five+ years of research
MCAT: 11V, 12P, 13B, R
Accepted: Vermont
Interviewed: Hawaii, Syracuse (waitlisted)
Hoping to attend: USC

Andrew

Thanks for all of your responses so far. As a semi-long time SDNer, I know to take ALL posts with a grain of salt. I'm just looking for info. If I see that people with lowish GPAs can get into good med schools with other things like outstanding ECs, etc., that helps me. If I see that it's near impossible to get into med school with a lowish GPA, that helps too. Also it helps to see what schools people are getting into. I think threads like these are good because there are a long of crazy-high GPA/MCAT scores on here and I think it dissuades people with lower stats from posting theirs. Thanks guys, and keep it coming!

Just a side note..I knew a chic who got accepted into dental school with a 2.9. I don't know what her DAT was though..

Alicia