Accepted off WL day before PTE deadline? HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tessellations

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I have been put into a bit of a pickle today. I was all set to PTE at one of my acceptances, when I received notice about 10 minutes ago that I was being offered an acceptance from a school I was waitlisted at. I did not expect for this to happen until after April 30th, where the rules change a bit. Does this mean that I only have a day to decide?

I am just seeking some guidance for what I should do here. I am amittedly leaning towards the school I have PTE'd at, but it would be ideal for me to at least be able to get a financial aid package from the school that just accepted me off the WL. Should I email/call both schools to ask for a PTE extension?

While I am happy for the acceptance, it feels a bit inconsiderate to do this right before April 30th considering the traffic rules.

What would be the best actions for me to take?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Hi all! I have been put into a bit of a pickle today. I was all set to PTE at one of my acceptances, when I received notice about 10 minutes that I was being offered an acceptance from a school I was waitlisted at. I did not expect for this to happen until after April 30th, where the rules change a bit. Does this mean that I only have a day to aside?

I am just seeking some guidance for what I should do here. I am amittedly leaning towards the school I have PTE'd at, but it would be ideal for me to at least be able to get a financial aid package from the school that just accepted me off the WL. Should I email/call both schools to ask for a PTE extension?

While I am happy for the acceptance, it feels a bit inconsiderate to this right before April 30th considering the traffic rules.

What would be the best actions for me to take?

How long did the waitlist school give you to respond by?

I think, technically, you are in a bind. If I were you, I would PTE at the school you were originally planning to PTE at, and reach out to them to let them know of the situation. Hopefully they can get back to you quickly with an understanding of the situation.

Reactions: 1 users
How long did the waitlist school give you to respond by?

I think, technically, you are in a bind. If I were you, I would PTE at the school you were originally planning to PTE at, and reach out to them to let them know of the situation. Hopefully they can get back to you quickly with an understanding of the situation.

They ask for me to accept the offer within 5 days. What a nightmare. I think I will reach out to both schools to see if I have any options. I believe by traffic rules standards the school that just accepted should be giving me two weeks but their email is not worded that way at all.

The only good in this is that my PTE school is cheaper than the cost of IS tuition at the school that just accepted me and I was already leaning towards my original school. I'd be even more frustrated than I already am if I was really conflicted between the two.

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I’ve read on here several times, that schools are under no obligation to give you the financial aid package until after you indicate you plan to enroll. You sound like you really want to go to the other school so I think I’d PTE.

Reactions: 4 users
They ask for me to accept the offer within 5 days. What a nightmare. I think I will reach out to both schools to see if I have any options. I believe by traffic rules standards the school that just accepted should be giving me two weeks but their email is not worded that way at all.

The only good in this is that my PTE school is cheaper than the cost of IS tuition at the school that just accepted me and I was already leaning towards my original school. I'd be even more frustrated than I already am if I was really conflicted between the two.

There is no two week rule that I know of. Definitely reach out to both schools. 5 business days is pretty standard (I got 1 week with the weekend)

Reactions: 1 user
There is no two week rule that I know of. Definitely reach out to both schools. 5 business days is pretty standard (I got 1 week with the weekend)

Per the AAMC Traffic rules:
The AAMC recommends that each MD or MD-PhD granting school or program:
5. On or before April 30, permit ALL applicants (except for EDP applicants):

• A minimum of two weeks to respond to their acceptance offer.
  • To hold acceptance offers or a waitlist position from any other schools or programs without penalty (i.e. scholarships).
I think I’ve read on here several times, that schools are under no obligation to give you the financial aid package until after you indicate you plan to enroll. You sound like you really want to go to the other school so I think I’d PTE.
Yeah, I've seen the same. Sometimes life isn't perfect! I will most likely just PTE at the school I originally planned to. Thanks!

• To hold acceptance offers or a waitlist position from any other schools or programs without penalty (i.e. scholarships).

Yeah, I've seen the same. Sometimes life isn't perfect! I will most likely just PTE at the school I originally planned to. Thanks!

Ah I see what you're referring to. I have never seen a case where that rule overlaps with April 30th. So I suppose they are using the "after April 30th" rules because you will be given a period of time that extends past April 30th. Interesting.

Just a note on the traffic rules. They are all recommendations made by AMCAS, schools do not need to abide by them, and can instead create their own standards. The second school is under no obligation to send financial aid information.

You can wait those 5 days (cutting it close) to see if something happens or you can contact both schools with the situation and see if they will accommodate you. Assuming you have already sent FAFSA to the new school, you might be able to get a quick package.

Reactions: 2 users
Just withdrew my acceptance to the school who accepted me today. Sad it has to be such a rapid decision, but thank you for the comments and advice.

Reactions: 8 users
Just withdrew my acceptance to the school who accepted me today. Sad it has to be such a rapid decision, but thank you for the comments and advice.
How come you had to withdraw by today if they gave you 5 days? Is it because the school that you accepted wants a decision by today?

How come you had to withdraw by today if they gave you 5 days? Is it because the school that you accepted wants a decision by today?

Yes, the issue wasn’t the school that accepted me, it’s the school that I was originally planning on enrolling at. I could have tried to ask for a PTE deadline if I felt more conflicted but I knew in my heart that it’s the best option for me to go there and not to the new school.

Yes, the issue wasn’t the school that accepted me, it’s the school that I was originally planning on enrolling at. I could have tried to ask for a PTE deadline if I felt more conflicted but I knew in my heart that it’s the best option for me to go there and not to the new school.
Honestly that is so bogus of the WL school to pull that. I'm angry on your behalf lol

Reactions: 6 users
Honestly that is so bogus of the WL school to pull that. I'm angry on your behalf lol

Yeah, it doesn't make that school look good. Plus it's my state school! I can't believe that they didn't wait until after the deadline, as that would have given me a greater opportunity to think it over. Oh well, this ends up hurting them more then me!

I don’t think you needed to worry about the deadline with your original PTE school. Since you have not yet accepted the new offer from today, AMCAS would not be aware of another acceptance and thus your would only be holding one PTE and once Acceptance. Then in five days you could choose (have chosen) to Accept new offer, and then change your AMCAS PTE and notify first school of withdrawal if you wanted. However, as mentioned, the new offer wasn’t under any obligation to present you with fin aid offer by their deadline.

I don’t think you needed to worry about the deadline with your original PTE school. Since you have not yet accepted the new offer from today, AMCAS would not be aware of another acceptance and thus your would only be holding one PTE and once Acceptance. Then in five days you could choose (have chosen) to Accept new offer, and then change your AMCAS PTE and notify first school of withdrawal if you wanted. However, as mentioned, the new offer wasn’t under any obligation to present you with fin aid offer by their deadline.

AMCAS was fully aware since the new school appeared on the Choose Your Medical School Tool last night.

If you PTE at a school, AMCAS asks you to drop all other acceptances on 4/30. However they don't force you to do that, and your PTE school can't see if you have any other acceptances, so really the only relevant deadline is the one given to you by UMass. But this crazy system is so opaque, and AMCAS has options for enforcement/notification that they're just not using right now, and holding onto an A could technically be in violation of your PTE school's policy if they found out, which current state they couldn't but who knows... I think you made the right call to drop the UMass A.