Accepted? Something you may have missed..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Off2Oz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is directed at international students attending at Aussie medical schools so that they can help international students on their way to attending an Ausse medical school.

Do you have any tips about all the requirements that must be met before attending? So far, my list of things to do includes immunization record gathering, St. John's Ambulance first-aid course completion, visa application, signing of various required forms and sending them off, and, of course, $$$$$$ gathering.

Feel free to sum up your experience and what you would have done differently (ie. easier ways are welcome).

Members don't see this ad.

obviously i'm still in the same position as you w/ med school, but having done it for undergrad, let me see if i can't chronologicalify (there has got to be a single verb that means "put things in chronological order") that list.

-get accepted
-send acceptance of offer and clinical schools allocations forms
-get $$$$$$$$$$$
-pay $$$$$
-get confirmation of enrolment code
-get a student visa

...and just chuck the first aid course and immunizations records in there any old where. but the above stuff has to happen in that order, cos you can't get a visa without a CoE, and you can't get a CoE without part of the fee, and you can't pay a fee without getting accepted...

...oh, and i'd add booking a really early flight and looking for housing as important bits of that list. but yeah, you guys who have done it, what else can you add? can't remember, do i need my own stetho at this point or should that wait, and what other personal equipment do we need?

banana k said:
obviously i'm still in the same position as you w/ med school, but having done it for undergrad, let me see if i can't chronologicalify (there has got to be a single verb that means "put things in chronological order") that list.

-get accepted
-send acceptance of offer and clinical schools allocations forms
-get $$$$$$$$$$$
-pay $$$$$
-get confirmation of enrolment code
-get a student visa

...and just chuck the first aid course and immunizations records in there any old where. but the above stuff has to happen in that order, cos you can't get a visa without a CoE, and you can't get a CoE without part of the fee, and you can't pay a fee without getting accepted...

...oh, and i'd add booking a really early flight and looking for housing as important bits of that list. but yeah, you guys who have done it, what else can you add? can't remember, do i need my own stetho at this point or should that wait, and what other personal equipment do we need?

Cool. Anyone know of any good resources for housing searches?

Also, I was living in the UK a while ago, and there's an awesome website that provides cheap flights from Canada to London. Is there something like that that people have discovered for Canada/US --> Australia and back? Right now, it looks like the cheapest option for canadians is a one-way ticket with the QANTAS..

Meh. There are still months to go, I know, but hell, I'm bored with work and I need something to occupy myself with. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
pitman said:

That's good stuff. Anyone have any recommendations for a first year late-twenties MBBS student?

I'd prefer something a little quieter than the normal insanity of university life. I wouldn't mind being able to study, considering the massive amount being paid out for the education. Self catering would be good as well.

With regards to on-campus housing provided by the school, so far Campus Lodge looks fairly good, and not overly expensive either.. I figure it might be easier to live on-campus and then go off after first year - seeing the places off-campus seems wise..

You may find on-campus a little loud and, well, young. When you come, the school can put you up in temporary housing (I stayed in International House, pretty good for a few weeks) while you look for a house or apartment -- I came beginning of Jan, think I had to leave by end of Jan when students returned.

Taringa and Toowong are great places for first years who want to live off-campus -- quieter than St. Lucia and just a short bus or bicycle ride to campus.

Can anyone give me some insight on how long it took them to receive their student visa? Also, is it pretty safe to book a flight before received my visa?

Thanks

unless you're both as unlucky and as ******ed as me, a student visa takes about a 24 hour processing time online. unless you have, like, a criminal record or something, go ahead and buy your ticket.

Just to let the Canadians out there know, I checked with UQ and the Canadian Red Cross standard first aid and CPR C is fine for the first aid certification.

canaussie said:
Can anyone give me some insight on how long it took them to receive their student visa? Also, is it pretty safe to book a flight before received my visa?

Thanks

Nobody I know who submitted their visa application online had it processed within the promised timeframe. For many of us, it took well over a month after all the required documentation was submitted and at least one person missed the first few weeks of classes waiting for a visa.

If I was to do it again, I would not use their online application. I would highly recommend lodging your visa application with the High Commission in Canada or the Consulate in the U.S. Perhaps Perth has fixed their processing delays, but I wouldn't count on that. I'd definitely go the local route as at least you can call and speak to someone or perhaps visit the consulate if required to follow up on your application.

As for the flight, if you want to book your flight before you get your visa, make sure that there is an affordable change fee associated with your fare so that you can change your departure date if your visa comes in late. There is a heightened level of security of late in Australia, so I wouldn't be surprised if visa applications are getting a little extra due dilligence these days.

scottgo said:
Just to let the Canadians out there know, I checked with UQ and the Canadian Red Cross standard first aid and CPR C is fine for the first aid certification.

In addition to Scottgo's post, I checked with St. John Ambulance, and the Basic First Aid + Rescuer CPR is the standard course for med students in Canada (which I'm assuming is the same for Australia) If someone could confirm this :). It is a 2 day course and during the months of December and January they are having a student sale for 99 bucks for the course, instead of the regular 149.00.

canaussie said:

Thanks

It took mine about 2 weeks but I did things as quickly as possible. Received CoE Oct. 24th, Applied online for visa (eVisa) Oct. 24th, Medical checkup Oct. 26th, received Visa approval Nov. 9th. I think the key is to get your medical checkup/blood tests/chest xray done ASAP and have your doctor send them in quickly because I think that they won't process your visa until they've received it.

Members don't see this ad :)
gahh! the chest x-ray, i forgot! erk! sorry to everyone about when i said a student visa takes 24 hours... that's ONLY if you're applying for a study abroad visa. i've had both study abroad and full-time enrolment visas so my head was muddled. anyone know how long chest x-ray visa crap's valid for? i'd love not to have to get one again and i still have my old records. now i'm the dunce, HOW long does it take once you've got your CoE and all the medical paperwork in order?

(immigration is way too irritating.)

banana k said:
gahh! the chest x-ray, i forgot! erk! sorry to everyone about when i said a student visa takes 24 hours... that's ONLY if you're applying for a study abroad visa. i've had both study abroad and full-time enrolment visas so my head was muddled. anyone know how long chest x-ray visa crap's valid for? i'd love not to have to get one again and i still have my old records. now i'm the dunce, HOW long does it take once you've got your CoE and all the medical paperwork in order?

(immigration is way too irritating.)

lol.. yeah, it's irritating alright. I've got a passport I want to renew before it expires, and a visa application (as does everyone). Both of these need my *actual* passport.

This should definitely be interesting.

Keep me posted on when you guys get your visas. Maybe I should start a "Wall of fame: people who got their visas" thread. :cool:

----
Hey all, does everyone here have enough money to show that they can pay off the $144k AUS plus all living expenses for the 4 years you'll be down there?

Apparently, this is a requirement??

By my calculations $144+(4*$12k) = $192k AUS.

You've all got that?
----

I just figured out the answer to this. No need to panic. You don't need all 4 years to get a visa.

Cheers.

K, I'm a little confused. So I submitted an online visa application, which said it was going to be processed at Perth. Then I emailed the e-visa help desk about where to send the health forms and they said to Ottawa, but it doesn't really make sense to me cuz they'll be in two different places?!? So did I send them to the wrong place?

Hey All,

Anyone got any ideas about best ways to carry money over to Australia and converting Canadian Dollars to Aussie Dollars? Anyone found an economical way to do this? Any ideas thoughts on this matter would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--CBB

I'm pretty lazy -- aside from tuition, I exchange money via the ATM machine. I withdraw AU$1200 (my limit) whenever I need it, paying the 5 bucks fee (< 0.5% interest). In the meantime I keep the bulk of my savings in US investments, selling/transferring them to a US bank account as needed.

pitman said:
I'm pretty lazy -- aside from tuition, I exchange money via the ATM machine. I withdraw AU$1200 (my limit) whenever I need it, paying the 5 bucks fee (< 0.5% interest). In the meantime I keep the bulk of my savings in US investments, selling/transferring them to a US bank account as needed.

Savings? What's that? :p

there's a bank in BC that did transfers and currency conversions from my bank in massachusetts to my bank in australia, for a fee of 1%. not sure the name but have a poke around for something like that.

pitman, good to know you carry that much--i'll be sure to look for you at atm's in brisbane, and i'll carry a big stick. :smuggrin: just kidding

Hey, if you guys are getting put off by this stuff -- it IS quite straightforward -- you may want to reconsider your decision! This stuff is NOTHING compared to the future hassles you WILL face.

Yes, you need a recent CXR (I think 6 months). Active TB is the issue -- in case you didn't know. What good is a CXR you had years ago? Come on, guys. Welcome to the brave new world of FORMS. It only gets WORSE.

If you are challenged by the immigration forms, you may not have what it takes. Ditto for those challenged by ATM machines. Yes, they do have them in Australia. Yes, that is the logical place to get your cash! Furthermore, you can pay for just about everything with bank cards.

Those with loans seem constantly stressed.

When possible, use an agent or lawyer -- ie. PR, FIRB approval, etc. Perhaps, you can get assistance with your student visa from an agent. If possible, get contacts before leaving home. Many large law firms are part of international "alliances". Having an introduction makes things much easier! You don't want to have to rely on the Yellow Pages if you can help it.

oh, not you again! yeah, i'm sure we'll all flunk out, be deported, never find a residency, and be Dr Bum On The Street, MBBS. particularly cos we have the good sense to ask for advice about finances and immigration. definitely. well, spherical, for all your fearmongering, there are a huge chunk of bright people here that haven't been turned away--maybe it's because you sound totally foolish in your claims and can never back them up!

take it to the Times, troll. you haven't got a THING to make yourself sound credible.

and a chest x ray is valid for a year. i checked with the embassy in washington. and forms? sure we have to do them, but they still suck!

can you go away yet?

Right on BananaK!!! From the messages Spherical has posted in the past, he/she is not in any way trying to help us out. We come on this board to ask/answer questions and issues that are important to us at the moment. Its sad to know you are either almost done med school or have already completed it and still have the time to come by and discourage everyone from following through with their own goals. Why exactly are you so concerned about our abilities? If anything, you seem like the type of person who is way too competitive and are on a mission to somehow keep intelligent international students from coming to study in Australia. Is it so you stand a better chance of getting post graduate training in Australia? Is it so you think there will be more spots open for you for an internship? I'm sure there are many more reasons why you are so persistent. All I know is I feel sorry for the people who unfortunately have to call you their doctor because you have a piece of paper. There is alot more to being a good doctor that just a degree, but you're so concerned about the paper and prestige that u've probably never realized that, or have lost sight of that somewhere along the way. Regardless, thanks for your concern Spherical, but I think we all can take care of ourselves.

--CBB

Soemone mentioned that they had received their student visa - what did you receive and how did you received it? By mail? I'm not sure what to look for.

Thanks
CA

canaussie said:
Soemone mentioned that they had received their student visa - what did you receive and how did you received it? By mail? I'm not sure what to look for.

Thanks
CA

You receive an email from the immigration department. Here's a copy of mine:

Dear NAME REMOVED,

Re: Transaction Reference Number (TRN) REMOVED

I am pleased to advise that you have successfully been assessed against OFFSHORE Higher Ed Sctr (Web) (TU 573) and your electronic application for a Student (Temporary)(Class TU) visa has been approved.

This letter contains important information about this visa.

VISA GRANT NUMBER

The visa grant number is REMOVED. This is the unique number assigned to the visa. Visa holders should keep this visa grant number with them, as they may have to provide it to the Department during the life of the visa.

PASSPORT

Your visa is linked to the passport number that you provided in your application. If you obtain a new passport after receiving this letter, you will need to e-mail the Helpdesk at [email protected] and advise the Department of your new passport details.

Please note: If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you may experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.

VISA INFORMATION

Your visa expires on 15 March 2010 and provides you with multiple entry to Australia. This means that you can leave Australia and re-enter Australia as many times as you wish, while your visa is valid.

You should carefully note the period of stay this visa allows, and you should enter Australia before your course commences. You may only stay in Australia for the period of your visa. Any further stay in Australia must be authorised by the grant of a further visa.

You do not need to have a visa label placed in your passport when travelling to Australia. It is recommended that you print and keep a copy of this advice for your personal records. Your Transaction Reference Number is very important as it allows you to access information on your visa status.

VISA CONDITIONS

Your visa for study in Australia has been approved subject to a number of conditions. It is very important that you understand and abide by your visa conditions. If you fail to abide by these conditions, your visa may be cancelled and you will be required to leave Australia.

If you do not understand your visa conditions, please contact the nearest Australian Government office overseas for advice before you travel (www.immi.gov.au/wwi/index.htmworldindex).

After arrival in Australia, you may seek advice on your visa conditions from the nearest Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs office (www.immi.gov.au/wwi/aust-off.htm) or by telephoning 131 881.

An explanation of the conditions attached to your visa is as follows.

NO WORK - 8101

You must not engage in work in Australia. "Work" means an activity that, in Australia, normally attracts remuneration.

Condition - 8202

If the visa holder is the holder of a subclass 576 (AusAID or Defence sector) visa, they must be enrolled in a full-time course of study or training.

If the visa holder is not the holder of a subclass 576 (AusAID or Defence sector) visa, they must:

- remain enrolled in a full-time registered course (unless they are a secondary exchange student who holds a subclass 571 (Schools sector) visa, in which case they must be enrolled in a full-time course of study or training);

- attend at least 80% of the contact hours scheduled for each term and semester of their course (or if their course is shorter than a semester, for the duration of their course) if their education provider keeps attendance records;

- have a satisfactory academic result for each term or semester (or if their course is shorter than a semester, for the duration of their course).

Note: A registered course is one that is on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). Go to http://cricos.dest.gov.au for a list of registered courses and education providers.

Condition - 8206

The visa holder must remain with the education provider with which they originally enrolled for the first 12 months of the course, or for the duration of the course if the course is less than 12 months long. If they have been granted a visa to undertake two or more registered courses,
they must remain with the education provider(s) with which they originally enrolled for the duration of each preliminary course plus the first 12 months of the principal course (i.e. the course that may be taken only after the completion of another of the courses), or for the total duration of all their courses if the principal course is for less than 12 months.

Condition - 8501

The visa holder must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance during their stay in Australia.

Condition - 8516

The visa holder must continue to satisfy the criteria for grant of their visa.

Condition - 8517

The visa holder must maintain adequate schooling arrangements for their school-age dependants who join them in Australia on a student dependant visa for more than 3 months.

Condition - 8532

If the visa holder:

1) has not turned 18; AND
2) is not an AusAID student or a Defence student; AND
3) is not staying in Australia with:
a) a parent;
b) a person who has custody of them; or
c) a relative who has been nominated by their parent or a person who has custody of them, is aged at least 21 and is of good character;

they must maintain accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements that have been approved by their education provider.

Note: The visa holder must not change those arrangements without the written approval of their education provider.

Condition - 8533

The visa holder must notify their education provider of their residential address in Australia within 7 days of arriving in Australia.

The visa holder must notify their education provider of any change in their residential address within 7 days of the change.

The visa holder must notify their current education provider of a change of education provider within 7 days of receiving the electronic Confirmation of Enrolment certificate or evidence of enrolment from their new education provider.

Please also see Condition 8206.

Note: Students and their accompanying family members may apply for permission to work once they have arrived in Australia and the student has commenced their course. A single application for the student and their family members may be made via the Internet (www.immi.gov.au) or at any immigration office in Australia.

CHECKING YOUR VISA DETAILS

The Department has developed a new service called Entitlement Verification Online (EVO) which allows certain third parties to check your visa information with your consent.

Through EVO, you can give your consent to registered third parties such as:
- employers and labour suppliers, to help check whether your visa allows you to work in Australia;
- government agencies, to help assess your eligibility for services;
- licensing authorities, to help establish your eligibility for a licence; and
- educational institutions, to assess whether you can study in Australia.

The disclosure of your visa information by the Department is governed by the Privacy Act 1988. Therefore, the Department will disclose information about your visa to a third party only with your consent. You can consent to an inquiry about your visa entitlements by giving the third party your name, date of birth, passport number and passport country of issue. If you do not wish a third party to find out about your visa entitlements, do not give them this information.

The information form 993i 'Safeguarding your personal information', available from Immigration offices, gives details of third parties to which you can consent to your personal information being disclosed, and how you can consent.

EVO also allows visa holders who applied online to view their current visa details. If you provided a password for EVO in your online application, you will be able to access the service on the Department's website (www.immi.gov.au) under 'Online Services' >> 'Entitlement Verification Online'.

I hope you enjoy studying in Australia.

Yours sincerely

When did you apply for your visa, according to the online inquiry page they recieved all my health information on the 19th so am I looking at another week or another month?
Scott

Is the visa effective immediately or is the start date a couple of days/weeks before the start of school?

scottgo said:
When did you apply for your visa, according to the online inquiry page they recieved all my health information on the 19th so am I looking at another week or another month?
Scott

Hi Scott,

Read my post that I made on the 1st page of this topic. In my case, it seems like they granted me my visa as soon as they receive my health information (within one or two days?).

Karim_Basha said:
Is the visa effective immediately or is the start date a couple of days/weeks before the start of school?

It is effective immediately and in my case it expires March 15 2010

sedination said:
It is effective immediately and in my case it expires March 15 2010

Hey, what other materials, other than the med exam/x-ray, did you send in? Anything financially related?

I'm a little lazy tonight and don't feel like poking around the website to find out what else I have to send off...

I'll try tomorrow if nobody replies. :p

Off2Oz said:
Hey, what other materials, other than the med exam/x-ray, did you send in? Anything financially related?

I'm a little lazy tonight and don't feel like poking around the website to find out what else I have to send off...

I'll try tomorrow if nobody replies. :p

All that was sent it was the medical checkup info, blood tests and chest xray (all sent in by the doctor). I didn't need to send in anything else.

I was wondering if there was anything else we needed to send as well. What about CoE or is that send automatically? Also, proof of studying in English for at least five year - I read this was required soemwhere as well. I checked on the status of my visa and it said - application receved - processing commenced, application payment received. The it lists the outstanding medical requirements. Does this mean this is all they are waiting for?

Thanks

canaussie said:
I was wondering if there was anything else we needed to send as well. What about CoE or is that send automatically? Also, proof of studying in English for at least five year - I read this was required soemwhere as well. I checked on the status of my visa and it said - application receved - processing commenced, application payment received. The it lists the outstanding medical requirements. Does this mean this is all they are waiting for?

Thanks

I think UQ has already forwarded the CoE to the immigration department so all you have to do is quote the CoE Number when you're filling out your visa application. Your proof of English is the VR component of your MCAT, which is stated on the CoE so you don't need to send in anything yourself to the department. All you need to send in other than the visa application is what is listed in the outstanding medical requirements. Note all this is from my own personal experience so other people may indeed have other things to send in.

anyone have a direct link to the pdf form for the health stuff? all i can find on the immi.gov.au website are the stinkin info forms. gahh.

When I applied online I got a link to all the forms I needed, just printed them out and took them to the doc.

banana k said:
anyone have a direct link to the pdf form for the health stuff? all i can find on the immi.gov.au website are the stinkin info forms. gahh.

okay that's great, can you perhaps send me that link because i can't find it amidst the forms for the life of me

banana k said:
okay that's great, can you perhaps send me that link because i can't find it amidst the forms for the life of me

Hey Banana the forms are custom with your name and info printed on them already. After you apply and go to check the status of your application, there is a link to all the forms you need after logging in.

Log On from this link

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/inquiry/query/query.do?action=eVisa

damn, i was afraid of that.