accepted students post your oats,gpa and undergrad.

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HOLLYWOOD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know the g.p.a./oat scores of the accepted students also post your undergrad.

Members don't see this ad.

Major: Biomedical Science
AA GPA: 3.50
Sci GRA: 3.50
AA OAT: 340
TS OAT: 360 (400 Orgo)

-- Lots of EC's... RA, Orientation Leader, VP of University Program Board.. etc
-- Volunteered 8hrs per week in private practice for 3 months and volunteered 8hrs per week at a Health Clinic (vision services) for 3 months

As far as undergad... I go to Grand Valley State University. I am sure no one outside of MI has ever heard of it. Its a great school wih about 20K enrollment. I am not sure what is the point of asking people where they went to undergrad. It is almost impossible to compare undergrad schools. For example... Grand Valley's freshman entering class had a HS GPA of 3.5, but you would have never heard of Grand Valley!! (i dono if this is what your getting at)

School: Washburn University
Major: Mathematics (Graduated Cum Laude)
GPA: 3.48
Optometry pre-reqs GPA: 3.72

OAT Scores:
AA: 340
TS: 330
Qualitative Reasoning: 380
Reading Comprehension: 350
Physics: 320
Biology: 330
Chemistry: 340
Organic: 300

Non-Traditional student making career change. I worked for the last 13 years in IT.

Members don't see this ad :)
School: University of Regina (I'm Canadian, eh?)
Degree: Bachelor of Science (chemistry)
GPA: 3.9+
OAT: 360AA 360TS

I am very involved in the musical community, playing with many ensembles both professional and nonprofessional.

I currently work at an ophthalmologist's office and have experience shadowing at an optometrist's office.

university of alberta
3rd year chemistry major
cum. gpa: 3.30
sci. gpa: 3.30
AA: 350
TS: 350

good luck to all those applying! :)

Thats Great Guys I Wish You Lots Of Luck. Keep Posting!!

I would just like to say that everyone who has posted so far has amazing stats!! I am very excited to work amongst people who are so bright and passionate about the profession! If optometry keeps attracting students like this... I think the profession has good things in store for it!

woah...ariel, you go to U of A??! so do i!

I go to U of A aswell.. small world

pre_opt_sku said:
School: University of Regina (I'm Canadian, eh?)
Degree: Bachelor of Science (chemistry)
GPA: 3.9+
OAT: 360AA 360TS

I am very involved in the musical community, playing with many ensembles both professional and nonprofessional.

I currently work at an ophthalmologist's office and have experience shadowing at an optometrist's office.
With those grades, did you try to apply to Waterloo?

vtrain said:
With those grades, did you try to apply to Waterloo?

Yes, I will be applying to Waterloo and will not be going to ICO if I'm accepted to Waterloo. I will be happy going to either school, but my bank account/student loans will be much happier if I end up at Waterloo :laugh:

yep, small world. where are you guys applying? waterloo? :)

l2en said:
woah...ariel, you go to U of A??! so do i!

ariel winter said:

I'm going to PCO. I'm not even going to bother applying to Waterloo :) I go to U of A, though. Were any of you at the pre-optometry meeting last week?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, cool. i applied to PCO too. i interviewed on Nov. 1. did you interview yet? i didn't go to the pre-opt meeting... where was it? :)

Hitman99 said:
I'm going to PCO. I'm not even going to bother applying to Waterloo :) I go to U of A, though. Were any of you at the pre-optometry meeting last week?

ariel winter said:
hey, cool. i applied to PCO too. i interviewed on Nov. 1. did you interview yet? i didn't go to the pre-opt meeting... where was it? :)

Yup, I interviewed on nov. 8. I also interviewed at NECO on the 4th and NOVA. But in the end, I chose to go to PCO. Have fun at NECO, I thought it was a really nice school.

ariel winter said:
I'm thinking of applying to Waterloo, but i don't know about realistically getting in...from what I hear, they won't look at anyone with a GPA below 3.7....have you guys heard the same? (and why won't they release class profiles????) I'm in my third year and i'm thinking of applying this year to Waterloo and two other schools from the states..probably Pacific and NECO. I just dont' know if i'm ready to go yet...my parents want me to wait another year and try for waterloo after i get my bachelors so...i'm so confused! What do you guys think??

i think it has little to do with whether or not your parents think you are ready... you truly have to know if you are ready for this journey. i am also in my third year and i applied to NECO, PCO, and SUNY. they all invited me for an interview, and i eventually picked to go to NECO (many reasons why). i KNOW i am ready to embark on this journey to becoming a great optometrist. i can feel it in my heart. i have never wanted anything other than this, and to have this opportunity, i am truly grateful. you must also ask yourself: will one more year of undergraduate studies really prepare you more for what is to come? i doubt it. you have done presumably well in three years of undergrad, and if you were given the opportunity to do what you love... wouldn't you want to take it? who's to say you will not bomb your last year and destroy all chances of getting into ANY school? i am not suggesting this will happen at all, but in any case it is something to think about. what it comes down to is what YOU really want and feel is right. if you feel that you are still too young and not ready for OD school, i respect that and allow for the fact that it is the best decision for you. no one can make that decision for you.

good luck. :)

l2en said:
I'm thinking of applying to Waterloo, but i don't know about realistically getting in...from what I hear, they won't look at anyone with a GPA below 3.7....have you guys heard the same? (and why won't they release class profiles????) I'm in my third year and i'm thinking of applying this year to Waterloo and two other schools from the states..probably Pacific and NECO. I just dont' know if i'm ready to go yet...my parents want me to wait another year and try for waterloo after i get my bachelors so...i'm so confused! What do you guys think??

Hey I'm in the same boat as you. I'm far from a 3.7+ GPA..and I am hearing the same horror stories >< Hahaha I've also decided to apply to Pacific and NECO as well =)..plus thinking of ICO too. I'm also in my third year of my degree..and I have decided that if I can get in this year, then it is one year earlier of doing what I want to do. And if not, then I will finish up my last year and re-apply. But I figure if this is what you want to do, why waste another year when you can get in a year earlier?! :)

l2en said:

That's a LOT of U of A people!!! We have a student that attended U of A in class of 2009! Only one though. It was quite funny, we have 10 Cdn students, 1 from BC (me!), 2 from Ab, and SEVEN from Ont! -_-

well the thing is, my parents really want me to go to waterloo because of the whole tuition thing..so basically for them it's either Waterloo next year or nothing...but after 4th year i can apply anywhere i choose...

Make that 2 from BC. I'm a graduate of UBC and in Nova Southeastern's Class of 2009.
:)
Katalio said:
That's a LOT of U of A people!!! We have a student that attended U of A in class of 2009! Only one though. It was quite funny, we have 10 Cdn students, 1 from BC (me!), 2 from Ab, and SEVEN from Ont! -_-

l2en said:
well the thing is, my parents really want me to go to waterloo because of the whole tuition thing..so basically for them it's either Waterloo next year or nothing...but after 4th year i can apply anywhere i choose...
This seems to be wise. You get two shots at Waterloo. You get to finish your degree at your home institution if you don't get in this year. If you get into Waterloo the second time the amount of money you will save will far exceed what you would make in your extra year of being an optometrist by coming to school in the US.

Don't come down here until you've exhausted all avenues of getting into Waterloo UNLESS you really want an American education - which has its benefits.

xmattODx said:
This seems to be wise. You get two shots at Waterloo. You get to finish your degree at your home institution if you don't get in this year. If you get into Waterloo the second time the amount of money you will save will far exceed what you would make in your extra year of being an optometrist by coming to school in the US.

Don't come down here until you've exhausted all avenues of getting into Waterloo UNLESS you really want an American education - which has its benefits.
Good Advice. You can never appreciate what it's really like to pay off a $150K debt, until you actually do so.

Thanks xmattODx, I think that is what my plan of action will be :)
vtrain, did you pay off your debt? how long did it take?

Nice to see you guys having interest in coming to PCO for the OD program. I did my undergrad at the U of A. And I started the Pre-Optometry Club and I'm really happy to see its still in business!!
For anyone in Alberta..im from Calgary..whose coming to PCO next year or has an interview or anything give me a shout, I'd be more then happy to help out in any way I can. I dont come on this forum often but you can email me at [email protected].
Good luck to everyone!!

Aleem
Class of 2009

Hitman99 said:

Ok dude, here's the thing...you dont need a BSc because most schools will give you one after your first year in OD school. Which is interesting for the rest of us who already have a BSc 'cuz we get another one...anyways...apply!!! I had under a 3.0 gpa but i killed the OAT and had crazy references and extracurricular activities to back me up and Im here in my first year and doing quite well.
Dont be discouraged, just do it!

Aleem
Class of 2009

l2en said:

jehu said:
Ok dude, here's the thing...you dont need a BSc because most schools will give you one after your first year in OD school. Which is interesting for the rest of us who already have a BSc 'cuz we get another one...

So... let me get this straight... I'll have a BS in Biology when I enter school this fall... but for just going to optometry school for 1 year... I'll get another BS in Vision Science or whatever it's called. Is this accurate? :confused:

prettygreeneyes said:
So... let me get this straight... I'll have a BS in Biology when I enter school this fall... but for just going to optometry school for 1 year... I'll get another BS in Vision Science or whatever it's called. Is this accurate? :confused:

No.

No - You only get your BS in Visual Science if you don't have a Bachelor's already. This option exists for those who got accepted after 3 years. Some schools have contracts with certain undergrads where you will have a BS/OD combined 7 year program and you will get an BS degree from your ugrad. For the visual sciences degree, if you don't have the required courses like humanities or social sciences as deemed by the opto school you will have to take these courses before you get your BS.

powerpuff said:
Hey I'm in the same boat as you. I'm far from a 3.7+ GPA..and I am hearing the same horror stories >< Hahaha I've also decided to apply to Pacific and NECO as well =)..plus thinking of ICO too. I'm also in my third year of my degree..and I have decided that if I can get in this year, then it is one year earlier of doing what I want to do. And if not, then I will finish up my last year and re-apply. But I figure if this is what you want to do, why waste another year when you can get in a year earlier?! :)

I applied third year, got an interview, got rejected. I dont' have near a 3.7. From what i've heard from the students in the program, it doesn't matter if you have any extra curriculars or opt experience, or if you kill your oat. I won't say it is solely, but it is mostly based on marks. I'm sure they take into account extra-curriculars and experience when they come down to deciding between two people with 3.7+s. If you think about it, Waterloo has no one to compete against because it is the only English opto school in Canada, so why wouldn't they only want to take only the top students? To them, marks are a measure of success. In the states on the other hand, there are so many schools, but I bet there are not enough 3.7+ people that can fill every spot in every opt school, so they gotta look at other criteria other than marks....

OH, and for other provinces out of ontario, I think they have a contract on how many ppl they take. If you really want to give it a try and you are from Canada, apply to Waterloo. It's good experience (their interview is tough compared to some states schools) and the app fee is Canadian $$$ :laugh:

vtrain said:
No - You only get your BS in Visual Science if you don't have a Bachelor's already. This option exists for those who got accepted after 3 years. Some schools have contracts with certain undergrads where you will have a BS/OD combined 7 year program and you will get an BS degree from your ugrad. For the visual sciences degree, if you don't have the required courses like humanities or social sciences as deemed by the opto school you will have to take these courses before you get your BS.
I can only speak for Berkeley when I was there, but I did receive a second BS degree after my third year. At that time, optometry courses were considered undergrad in the University of California system. Clinics were graduate level. I graduated from UC Irvine with a BS in Biology and because I had to essentially transfer to UC Berkeley as an undergrad, I had met all but one of the requirements for graduation from Berkeley (another requirement was added after I started college so I did not have to meet that for Irvine). I took an appreciation of music class to fulfill that requirement and once I met all of the undergrad requirements for Optometry, I received another BS. My classmates that graduated from Berkeley before going there for Optometry school did not have to take any additional classes because they had already met all of the requirements for graduation based on when they started undergrad. I am not sure how my other classmates did it, but I know one of them graduated from Northwestern and only had to take that music class as well. Pretty lame to get another BS in Optometry for taking a music class, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Actually here at PCO you do get another BSc....yes another.

vtrain said:

JC1984 said:
I applied third year, got an interview, got rejected. I dont' have near a 3.7. From what i've heard from the students in the program, it doesn't matter if you have any extra curriculars or opt experience, or if you kill your oat. I won't say it is solely, but it is mostly based on marks. I'm sure they take into account extra-curriculars and experience when they come down to deciding between two people with 3.7+s. If you think about it, Waterloo has no one to compete against because it is the only English opto school in Canada, so why wouldn't they only want to take only the top students? To them, marks are a measure of success. In the states on the other hand, there are so many schools, but I bet there are not enough 3.7+ people that can fill every spot in every opt school, so they gotta look at other criteria other than marks....
that is EXACTLY how i see it...i think i have a much better chance of getting in somewhere in the states...but my parents don't want me to apply out of canada until i absolutely have to. (ie, i after i graduate and apply to waterloo and get rejected)
my stats are:
TS-370
AA-350
GPA~3.36 ish

l2en said:
that is EXACTLY how i see it...i think i have a much better chance of getting in somewhere in the states...but my parents don't want me to apply out of canada until i absolutely have to. (ie, i after i graduate and apply to waterloo and get rejected)
my stats are:
TS-370
AA-350
GPA~3.36 ish

Those stats are pretty much the same as mine. Also, for waterloo, the earlist you'll find out you get in is mid-late June if you are one of the 20 lucky enough to get "early acceptance" (mid 90 avg? :eek: ) otherwise you have to wait 2 more weeks and find out first week of July I believe. But applications for Waterloo come out.. I think now actually. If you apply to a states school, you will know MUCH earlier because of rolling admissions. I'm not applying to Waterloo this year, because I've already been accepted somewhere and cause I don't think I'll get in. :cool: If I had applied to states school later (around this time) perhaps then I would have applied to Waterloo as well. So really, it's up to you.

Overall GPA: 3.48
Science GPA: 3.30
OAT AA: 350
OAT TS: 370

Degree: Biology w/chem minor at University of Utah

Accepted at SCO and had several other interviews but I chose to cancel them since I want to attend SCO.