Accepted students - what are you pre-matriculation plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just go! Don't let the cheeto-in-chief prevent you from seeing your own culture.

Yeah, I would love to go, and I might still do so, but I'm hesitant. My country historically isn't very friendly to American dual citizens and I can't imagine this will make it better. Don't want to end up in prison and not able to start med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely can't go wrong with either option. I just want to see all 7 wonders at some point in my life

I watched An Idiot Abroad so I've seen 'em ;)
C3W0dhp.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Jealous of the south american trip. That's high on my list. I'm actually heading off to Dubai at the end of March for 10 days. Have family there that I haven't seen in almost a decade, so I'm excited to finally catch up with them! Then in early June, I'm going to Lebanon, Jordan, and Israel/West Bank with more family. My parents actually have to go this summer and offered to have me come with on the condition that I take my little sister back after two weeks. I'm hoping to stay in Paris and Amsterdam a full night on my layover to and from Dubai. Then other than that, I think I'm going to try and set up a backpacking trip out in Utah or Colorado. Zion National Park is calling my name.
Are you me? Because you sound like me.

I'm also going to Dubai (aunt) and Lebanon (rest of family) in June. I'll be backpacking at Zion in July too... strange.

(Except, I'm applying this cycle, so there's that slight difference.)

I have been accepted to my dream school plus 2 others I would be very happy at (pending financial aid packages). As such, I have quit my job and on Wednesday I will be flying to South America! I will be in Quito, Ecuador for about 4 weeks where I will be volunteering at a hostel basically as a person to be around who can speak English. In exchange I get a free place to live and 3 meals/day. I will also be taking intensive Spanish lessons, something that is important to me before I begin medical school (already speak it OK but want to be conversational). After the 4 weeks are up I plan to do some backpacking - will probably leave Ecuador and do some travelling through Colombia and/or Peru. Very open to recommendations btw!

Edit - Please excuse the typo in the subject line, I was writing from my phone.

Whats everyone else up to? Any other crazy travel plans?

This sounds so cool!! How did you find it? Is it through a program?

Check out workaway.info

There are volunteer projects you can do all over the world, usually in exchange for food and accommodations. Hostels in South America, farms in Europe, tutoring in Alaska, all kinds of great stuff.

Check out workaway.info

There are volunteer projects you can do all over the world, usually in exchange for food and accommodations. Hostels in South America, farms in Europe, tutoring in Alaska, all kinds of great stuff.

Reactions: 2 users
Just accepted, I think i'm finally gonna take that trip to Japan I've been dreaming about!

Reactions: 12 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
CONGRATS!! :soexcited: I've always wanted to go to Japan too. Any idea how much flights are?

EDIT: Just did a quick search and there a some super cheap ones in May. Might have to make the trip this summer too haha
If you want to go together to save on costs let me know! we can plan it all out.

I think they have an awesome cherry blossom festival in the spring, we should try and make that!

If you want to go together to save on costs let me know! we can plan it all out.

I think they have an awesome cherry blossom festival in the spring, we should try and make that!
Yeah that'd be awesome! My family has also been talking about Europe this summer so we'll see if that actually pans out but I'd be down!

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out workaway.info

Do they cover for flight tickets too? lol

Dudeeee Lebanon is AMAZINGGGGG!! Hands down my favorite country....the forests coming right up to the beaches, Beirut, just everything. I'm so jealous. Even tinder there is pretty lit :p

Not sure if you've been to Jordan or these other areas before, but do the Petra tour at night. And eats lots of mansaf. And also, for West Bank, the kanfeh in Nablus is life changing!!!

Yes! Lebanon IS beautiful! My family is from the West Bank and Jordan so I've been to these places multiple times, but not in years, so I'm excited. Petra is breathtaking and I'm so excited to see it again but this time with my photography hobby in line ;)

Do they cover for flight tickets too? lol

Haha no you gotta get yourself there. Its not a bad setup through...I paid ~400 for a round trip flight to Ecuador. All housing and meals are paid for so any money I spend from here is purely discretionary (weekend excursions and souvenirs basically). Theoretically I could not spend another dollar the entire time if I didn't want to.

Can we just call this the humble brag thread and be done with it? LOL

Can we just call this the humble brag thread and be done with it? LOL

Not really a humble brag at all. Several other people have posted their interesting plans, and I'd love to hear more. Sorry about it.

Trying to get the full experience of both coasts of the US. Hiking in the Cascade Mt Range in Washington and Oregon. Visiting Yosemite and San Francisco in Cali. Then to the East Coast to hang out in NY and go to a Yankees/Red Sox game. Finishing up with a few weeks at beaches in the Carolinas and in Georgia. May end up basing my future residency application list off the results of this trip lol

Reactions: 7 users
CONGRATS!! :soexcited: I've always wanted to go to Japan too. Any idea how much flights are?

EDIT: Just did a quick search and there a some super cheap ones in May. Might have to make the trip this summer too haha

Just curious since I was also looking to go to Japan in May - how much did you find tickets for?

Four words. Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.
Best comment yet. I watch atleast an episode every night, and always look for places that were on it when traveling.

Best comment yet. I watch atleast an episode every night, and always look for places that were on it when traveling.

Right?!?!?! I've been hitting places that were featured on that show left and right. So much good food at great prices! Can't beat it lol.

Just accepted, I think i'm finally gonna take that trip to Japan I've been dreaming about!

ayyy others who wanna go to japan. I recommend checking out https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanTravel/

Super helpful in regards to planning, budgeting and other useful info.

Also for those who are curious about travelling solo, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/solotravel/ to get a better idea of what to expect and if travelling solo is right for you

I'm going to be road tripping around the US for a month! Planning to hit Nashville then some national parks in Colorado, Utah, and South Dakota, then finishing in Chicago before heading home to the motherland.

Other than that, planning on doing a jiu jitsu tournament, buying a pistol, and reading a ton.

I'm going to be road tripping around the US for a month! Planning to hit Nashville then some national parks in Colorado, Utah, and South Dakota, then finishing in Chicago before heading home to the motherland.

Other than that, planning on doing a jiu jitsu tournament, buying a pistol, and reading a ton.
Or you could go full out and build your own AR :cool:

Check out workaway.info

Thanks so much for this suggestion! I spent most of the workday yesterday browsing this site :laugh:
So many cool opportunities!

Thanks so much for this suggestion! I spent most of the workday yesterday browsing this site :laugh:
So many cool opportunities!

Yeah, what I am doing is actually rather tame compared to some of the crazy stuff on there. I'd love to do one of the really remote ones some day.

I'll be working a bunch and then in May I'll be visiting Amsterdam, Paris, Budapest, and Berlin. Then I'll continue working and will use that money to treat myself to a lot of wine.

Smoke weed everyday

Reactions: 4 users

I just went to Japan! Super awesome. MUST go to the Tsukiji fish market.

I'm finishing my grad program in June, but in between/after I am going to Coachella (a music festival near Palm Springs, CA), to Vegas, to my undergrad university's Alumni Weekend, and on a 2.5-week Euro trip followed by a week at Disney World because I'm a Disney freak :p not as cool as what you're doing @ChrisMack390! That will be amazing

I'm finishing my grad program in June, but in between/after I am going to Coachella (a music festival near Palm Springs, CA), to Vegas, to my undergrad university's Alumni Weekend, and on a 2.5-week Euro trip followed by a week at Disney World because I'm a Disney freak :p not as cool as what you're doing @ChrisMack390! That will be amazing

Sounds great! Where in Europe?

I worked a lot of overtime so I could enjoy the next four years of my life not feeling like I'm living in poverty. So far, that had turned out to be a wonderful decision.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm torn between the Inca trail and the Galapagos islands.
Galápagos Islands is so expensive! But if money isn't a factor I suppose it's okay. Inca trail is such a fascinating experience, you won't regret it. Just be ready to hike.

Galápagos Islands is so expensive! But if money isn't a factor I suppose it's okay. Inca trail is such a fascinating experience, you won't regret it. Just be ready to hike.

Yeah I don't think I'll be able to pull off Galapagos unfortunately. Maybe when I have dat attending $$$

I worked a lot of overtime so I could enjoy the next four years of my life not feeling like I'm living in poverty. So far, that had turned out to be a wonderful decision.
That sounds amazing.. you must have been making some seri
Yeah I don't think I'll be able to pull off Galapagos unfortunately. Maybe when I have dat attending $$$
AYYY. For sure go do the Inca trail though it's amazing and if you're near Cuzco go hike Rainbow mountain. It's amazing!

That sounds amazing.. you must have been making some seri

AYYY. For sure go do the Inca trail though it's amazing and if you're near Cuzco go hike Rainbow mountain. It's amazing!
$31/hr plus OT really makes a difference when you do it for a year. And when you like, saved while working for the five years prior as well lol...

$31/hr plus OT really makes a difference when you do it for a year. And when you like, saved while working for the five years prior as well lol...

Dang bruh what job did you have that paid $31/hr? I'd imagine at that rate you'd just be a salaried employee...

Dang bruh what job did you have that paid $31/hr? I'd imagine at that rate you'd just be a salaried employee...
Respiratory therapist. Should have seen the party our higher ups made- our most senior RTs were capped at $51/hr plus shift differentials and OT. Nurses though, they could make up to ten dollars an hour more than that...

Respiratory therapist. Should have seen the party our higher ups made- our most senior RTs were capped at $51/hr plus shift differentials and OT. Nurses though, they could make up to ten dollars an hour more than that...
Oh yeah I have a buddy who's a RT and he's making great money. Dang, my job barely allows me to pay rent, the bills & my misc. expenses hahaha.. I can't afford to be backpacking before medical school.

Just curious, what's the training like for an RT?

Oh yeah I have a buddy who's a RT and he's making great money. Dang, my job barely allows me to pay rent, the bills & my misc. expenses hahaha.. I can't afford to be backpacking before medical school.
I also had enough money to do that lol, spent two months a year prior to school backpacking

June - backpacking solo in Italy for 2-3 weeks - plan on hitting Rome, Cinque Torre, Florence, Milan, Siena, Venice and Amalfi Coast. There are SO many art museums and historical places I want to see.

July - Hiking as much of Appalachian trail as possible with my best friend.

So pumped for the summer!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Trying to decide on a trip to Austin, Salt Lake City, or Charleston (SC). And as many concerts as I can make it to in the next 4 months