Accepted to 3 Texas Dental Schools, Uncertain of Best Fit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Sarah01

On December 1st, I was accepted to the 3 dental schools in Texas and I only have about 20 days left to decide where I would like to attend. I have been reflecting and researching for a while now, but I keep going back and forth between the three schools. At this point, I am leaning towards Texas A&M or UTHSCSA. I really enjoyed everyone I spoke with at all of the schools and all of them seem to have their own unique culture. I could really benefit from hearing about other's experience at the schools as a dental student or advice from those who have knowledge on the different programs.

Thank you for your consideration!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
On December 1st, I was accepted to the 3 dental schools in Texas and I only have about 20 days left to decide where I would like to attend. I have been reflecting and researching for a while now on, but I keep going back and forth between the three schools. At this point, I am leaning towards Texas A&M or UTHSCSA. I really enjoyed everyone I spoke with at both schools and both seem to have their own unique culture. I could really benefit from hearing about other's experience at the schools as a dental student or advice from those who have knowledge on the different programs.

Where are you from in Texas?

Attend where you feel you would fit in the best.... also which one is closer to home. All Texas schools are great.... some may have more windows than others but overall, great. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you from in Texas?
My parents live about 40 minutes north of Dallas. At my interview, one of the faculty expressed concern that if I went to Texas A&M, he thought it would be too far for me to commute from my parents' house daily to school. :/

On December 1st, I was accepted to the 3 dental schools in Texas and I only have about 20 days left to decide where I would like to attend. I have been reflecting and researching for a while now on, but I keep going back and forth between the three schools. At this point, I am leaning towards Texas A&M or UTHSCSA. I really enjoyed everyone I spoke with at both schools and both seem to have their own unique culture. I could really benefit from hearing about other's experience at the schools as a dental student or advice from those who have knowledge on the different programs.

I think the biggest difference (to me) between the schools is the green environment, technology and facilities at uthscsa, vs the bigger city, cheaper cost, and less cutthroat environment at AM. AM is also building a new clinic, that could possibly be done in 2019-2020.

So do you want

1.) Really competitive school to keep you on your toes and motivated to get high marks (but at the risk of having to study independently the entire time). Top of the line technology and knowledgeable, but militaristic professors? If you graduate here you could have implant experience as well as invisalign. Area is really nice and surrounded by other professional schools, unlike AM.

2.) A clinically and community driven school with old facilities and a less "serious" nature to it? I personally thought that while baylor was old it was more lively with the people in it than the other schools. Cheaper school, but higher col area + lots of traffic. Also they do their own lab work the entire time which is a huge strain to some people. Also it's in a much worse area of Dallas than San Antonio is in that region (though it isn't terrible).

I think the biggest difference (to me) between the schools is the green environment, technology and facilities at uthscsa, vs the bigger city, cheaper cost, and less cutthroat environment at AM. AM is also building a new clinic, that could possibly be done in 2019-2020.

So do you want

1.) Really competitive school to keep you on your toes and motivated to get high marks (but at the risk of having to study independently the entire time). Top of the line technology and knowledgeable, but militaristic professors? If you graduate here you could have implant experience as well as invisalign. Area is really nice and surrounded by other professional schools, unlike AM.

2.) A clinically and community driven school with old facilities and a less "serious" nature to it? I personally thought that while baylor was old it was more lively with the people in it than the other schools. Cheaper school, but higher col area + lots of traffic. Also they do their own lab work the entire time which is a huge strain to some people. Also it's in a much worse area of Dallas than San Antonio is in that region (though it isn't terrible).
Wow this is really helpful. I am going to think on all of this. Thank you so much for the input.

On December 1st, I was accepted to the 3 dental schools in Texas and I only have about 20 days left to decide where I would like to attend. I have been reflecting and researching for a while now, but I keep going back and forth between the three schools. At this point, I am leaning towards Texas A&M or UTHSCSA. I really enjoyed everyone I spoke with at all of the schools and all of them seem to have their own unique culture. I could really benefit from hearing about other's experience at the schools as a dental student or advice from those who have knowledge on the different programs.

A&M is pretty great IMO. I like our faculty and my fellow classmates. You really can't go wrong with either school.
Congrats on your acceptances!

Reactions: 1 users
My parents live about 40 minutes north of Dallas. At my interview, one of the faculty expressed concern that if I went to Texas A&M, he thought it would be too far for me to commute from my parents' house daily to school. :/

I'm about 30 minutes North, if we're trying to go to school at 8 AM it's going to be a ridiculously long commute. I know going to my interview took me an hour and 30 minutes, when I got to the school previously in like 25

I also agree with saying you can't go wrong with either schools but I just wanted to give my opinion of UTHSCSA.

Having been at UTHSCSA for over 3 years now, I have had 0 regrets (I was also in your situation and was accepted to the 3 schools on the first day of acceptances, it was Dec 3rd my year). Each class has their own personality. I would not call my environment cutthroat by any means; I like to study alone but there are plenty of people that formed study groups and my best friend and I always communicated while studying separately so we made sure not to miss anything.

With regards to the heavy military presence at the school, I actually see it as a benefit. The fact that it is a military area has drawn very good faculty to the school. And I personally enjoy being in an organized environment. I believe that I have received a very strong education at UTHSCSA.

UTHSCSA also has every residency program at the school (except Public Health), and many of those programs are some of the strongest in their fields. Being at the school allows you to shadow residents, if that is something you are interested in, and can help you get acquainted with that a residency program really entails. In clinic we also work and communicate with the residents when referring patients and doing interdisciplinary treatment. Having strong residency programs helps a lot when treating patients together.

Like I said, I was in your position 3 years ago and am very happy with my decision. In the end you should go where you see yourself fitting in with the environment best; I don't think you can make a wrong decision with regards to your dental career when it comes to choosing between the 3 schools.

Reactions: 5 users
A&M is pretty great IMO. I like our faculty and my fellow classmates. You really can't go wrong with either school.
Congrats on your acceptances!
Thank you for the input! I appreciate it.

I also agree with saying you can't go wrong with either schools but I just wanted to give my opinion of UTHSCSA.

Having been at UTHSCSA for over 3 years now, I have had 0 regrets (I was also in your situation and was accepted to the 3 schools on the first day of acceptances, it was Dec 3rd my year). Each class has their own personality. I would not call my environment cutthroat by any means; I like to study alone but there are plenty of people that formed study groups and my best friend and I always communicated while studying separately so we made sure not to miss anything.

With regards to the heavy military presence at the school, I actually see it as a benefit. The fact that it is a military area has drawn very good faculty to the school. And I personally enjoy being in an organized environment. I believe that I have received a very strong education at UTHSCSA.

UTHSCSA also has every residency program at the school (except Public Health), and many of those programs are some of the strongest in their fields. Being at the school allows you to shadow residents, if that is something you are interested in, and can help you get acquainted with that a residency program really entails. In clinic we also work and communicate with the residents when referring patients and doing interdisciplinary treatment. Having strong residency programs helps a lot when treating patients together.

Like I said, I was in your position 3 years ago and am very happy with my decision. In the end you should go where you see yourself fitting in with the environment best; I don't think you can make a wrong decision with regards to your dental career when it comes to choosing between the 3 schools.
Thank you so much! This was very helpful. I was really wondering about the faculty at UTHSCSA. Have a great end to the week!

Thank you so much! This was very helpful. I was really wondering about the faculty at UTHSCSA. Have a great end to the week!

Because a lot of our faculty are retired military, they are teaching because they WANT to teach. We also have a lot of well known faculty who have written textbooks and are very involved in the dental community. It has been a good experience learning from those who truly love to teach.

Members don't see this ad :)
So as far as the 3 in TX (if she got into all 3) I'd say scrap Houston if you don't have roots/family there because all they basically have to offer is a new building and SA has a new fancy building too and are much better clinically/educationally. It's also in a more sketchy part of town while SA is in a really beautiful part and not sketchy at all. Houston also tends to have a lack of patients for some reason.

Now between Dallas and SA, it's a tough choice. From what I have gathered from talking to professors in Dallas (we have a few family friends that teach there, so they tend to give their honest opinion), it's gone downhill ever since A&M bought out Baylor. Less funding, less research, and less financial aid and other resources overall. They also have the oldest building of the 3 and it can feel a little claustrophobic. It's just one building, all for dental students, for 4 years. SA has a campus (older) and a clinic (which is new). However, the way their campus is set up, you have opportunities to interact more with other healthcare students, get out more, and breathe a little fresh air. Also a lot of green and trees and bigger space. To me, the environment I'm going to be in is important so this is a big factor. There's also a gym on campus which is nice. In Dallas, not so much. It's just a single building downtown and not pretty by any means in the slightest. It's also not in a great part of town. So there's that. Environment/building/atmosphere goes to SA by a mile.

Educationally, it goes to SA also. So this next year, class of 2021, is the first year to get the new curriculum from SA. Its supposed to be a great new curriculum that does a much better job in teaching the information in a more "big picture/how this relates to the human body/dentistry" kind of way. Like, for example, instead of having a course dedicated completely to BioChem, that information will be integrated within the body system that we are learning at the time. It'll also cut out some of the fluff that's unnecessary for dentistry (this is what they claim, but again we will be first so there's really no one to talk to to see how this works in practice). Either way, I think it'll be a much better way of teaching info that sticks and making it relevant. SA also has a dedicated class for studying for the boards, which is great and something only they do.

Clinically, I think it's a tie or slightly in Baylor's favor. However, Baylor makes the students do their own lab work, which has its own pros and cons (I'm actually not super sure if they still do this for ALL lab work, but definitely more than SA). Both schools have great patient pools, but Dallas has obviously more patients although I've never heard of there being a lack in either school. SA has more Hispanic patients (great for me because I speak Spanish)

Also price wise, they're both the same, although housing in SA is cheaper I believe.

The only reason I would choose Dallas over SA would be for some reason outside of which school is better. In my mind, SA is a better school overall. My reason for wanting to go to Dallas initially was cost. It would cost me much less to go to Dallas because I would most likely have lived at home.

So as far as the 3 in TX (if she got into all 3) I'd say scrap Houston if you don't have roots/family there because all they basically have to offer is a new building and SA has a new fancy building too and are much better clinically/educationally. It's also in a more sketchy part of town while SA is in a really beautiful part and not sketchy at all. Houston also tends to have a lack of patients for some reason.

Now between Dallas and SA, it's a tough choice. From what I have gathered from talking to professors in Dallas (we have a few family friends that teach there, so they tend to give their honest opinion), it's gone downhill ever since A&M bought out Baylor. Less funding, less research, and less financial aid and other resources overall. They also have the oldest building of the 3 and it can feel a little claustrophobic. It's just one building, all for dental students, for 4 years. SA has a campus (older) and a clinic (which is new). However, the way their campus is set up, you have opportunities to interact more with other healthcare students, get out more, and breathe a little fresh air. Also a lot of green and trees and bigger space. To me, the environment I'm going to be in is important so this is a big factor. There's also a gym on campus which is nice. In Dallas, not so much. It's just a single building downtown and not pretty by any means in the slightest. It's also not in a great part of town. So there's that. Environment/building/atmosphere goes to SA by a mile.

Educationally, it goes to SA also. So this next year, class of 2021, is the first year to get the new curriculum from SA. Its supposed to be a great new curriculum that does a much better job in teaching the information in a more "big picture/how this relates to the human body/dentistry" kind of way. Like, for example, instead of having a course dedicated completely to BioChem, that information will be integrated within the body system that we are learning at the time. It'll also cut out some of the fluff that's unnecessary for dentistry (this is what they claim, but again we will be first so there's really no one to talk to to see how this works in practice). Either way, I think it'll be a much better way of teaching info that sticks and making it relevant. SA also has a dedicated class for studying for the boards, which is great and something only they do.

Clinically, I think it's a tie or slightly in Baylor's favor. However, Baylor makes the students do their own lab work, which has its own pros and cons (I'm actually not super sure if they still do this for ALL lab work, but definitely more than SA). Both schools have great patient pools, but Dallas has obviously more patients although I've never heard of there being a lack in either school. SA has more Hispanic patients (great for me because I speak Spanish)

Also price wise, they're both the same, although housing in SA is cheaper I believe.

The only reason I would choose Dallas over SA would be for some reason outside of which school is better. In my mind, SA is a better school overall. My reason for wanting to go to Dallas initially was cost. It would cost me much less to go to Dallas because I would most likely have lived at home.
We also have a board review course.

San Antonio is definitely more expensive, also, I don't think you could confidently say they the education is better at SA when they haven't tested their new system, no one knows whether it will be beneficial or not. Also, I believe SA has the lowest board rates over the last 5 years out of the three.

Also Houston is located in the medical center, which I would definitely not call a bad part of town.

San Antonio is very cool because it is really interconnected with the other schools though, whereas Houston everyone is there but kind of spread out.

I agree completely though that Baylor is just one ugly building by itself haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone actually know the clinical requirements for all three of the Texas dental schools?

San Antonio is definitely more expensive, also, I don't think you could confidently say they the education is better at SA when they haven't tested their new system, no one knows whether it will be beneficial or not. Also, I believe SA has the lowest board rates over the last 5 years out of the three.

Why do you say SA is more expensive? I crunched the numbers and it's actually cheaper than TAMU for tuition/fees/books (including the 3k laptop) by a few hundred dollars (not much but definitely not more expensive) and SA gives you more money for Room and Board and transportation even though the living cost of SA is lower than Dallas. Is there a reason you're saying TAMU is cheaper?

Why do you say SA is more expensive? I crunched the numbers and it's actually cheaper than TAMU for tuition/fees/books (including the 3k laptop) by a few hundred dollars (not much but definitely not more expensive) and SA gives you more money for Room and Board and transportation even though the living cost of SA is lower than Dallas. Is there a reason you're saying TAMU is cheaper?

Where are you getting your numbers? When I go directly to uthscsa site it claims they cost 38k without introducing living. Which raises it to 68k.

Baylor's total is 52k, and 27 not for living

Yeah I'm getting that SA is cheaper solely based on tuition/fees/technology.
SA comes out to $122,131
TAMU comes out to $122,416

And of course it's cheaper to live in SA

Where are you getting your numbers? When I go directly to uthscsa site it claims they cost 38k without introducing living. Which raises it to 68k.

Baylor's total is 52k, and 27 not for living
Yeah but thats only first year, DS3 and DS4 its 25k while at TAMU its 27k throughout and their supplies and books really add up, while SA is mainly the bulk of it from DS1/DS2.

Maybe TAMU already has insurance included in its tuition? If so you gotta add the $2,185 every year for SA and that way TAMU is cheaper

Yeah but thats only first year, DS3 and DS4 its 25k while at TAMU its 27k throughout and their supplies and books really add up, while SA is mainly the bulk of it from DS1/DS2.

Maybe TAMU already has insurance included in its tuition? If so you gotta add the $2,185 every year for SA and that way TAMU is cheaper

Insurance at UT health is optional, assuming you have insurance from somewhere else.

Insurance at UT health is optional, assuming you have insurance from somewhere else.
Yeah true so not necessarily added to cost, so really SA is cheapest.

On a side not, is a LOI a good idea to send to SA? If so when would be best?

The book fee is also calculated into your living expenses it's not a mandatory fee. For TAMU

The book fee is also calculated into your living expenses it's not a mandatory fee. For TAMU
What do you mean it isn't mandatory? Can they pass on buying the books/programs and i guess use the library instead?

I actually didn't notice the price Change for SA! Thanks for pointing that out.

That being said I already have health insurance, a laptop, and I can probably get textbooks for cheaper, so for me specifically AM is still cheaper! Especially because I live like 30 minutes away if I wanted to save money.

What do you mean it isn't mandatory? Can they pass on buying the books/programs and i guess use the library instead?
Not mandatory as in you don't pay the school that fee. That money goes to your bank account and you can do whatever you want with it.We never use textbooks here TBH and if you do want to use one (I doubt you would have time to read it anyway) we have a huge file of all the textbooks used throughout our program.

Not mandatory as in you don't pay the school that fee. That money goes to your bank account and you can do whatever you want with it.We never use textbooks here TBH and if you do want to use one (I doubt you would have time to read it anyway) we have a huge file of all the textbooks used throughout our program.
Oh nice that's convenient, good to know!

Hey I know this is a pretty old thread but you made SA sound amazing in this thread and your sig says A&M class of 2021 so what happened???

A&M vs UTSA vs UTH 2017!!!!!!

Hey I know this is a pretty old thread but you made SA sound amazing in this thread and your sig says A&M class of 2021 so what happened???

Well I was speaking more objectively because I had interviewed/visited both schools but for my personal situation it's much cheaper to go to A&M (living @ home). I have family and friends there too and personally love the city of Dallas more than San Antonio.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:

Do you mind sharing which school you decided to go with?? And congratulations on getting accepted into all 3! I’m actually from San Antonio and hoping to get into 1 of the 3 dentals school here in Texas as well. My journey has just begun , as a non traditional student, so I have about 1.5-2 years till dental school would start.
Can you tell me what month you applied, your GPA, DAT scores, and anything you thought made you really like able whether it was shadowing, volunteer, etc by the 3 schools??

Thank you so much!!