Accepted to a school, but want to re-apply - smart decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

planisphere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm accepted to Temple (out-of-state), and I'm very satisfied with the result.
But considering four years I spent as an undergrad in a suburb, I really wanted to go to NYU or BU (Temple is in North Philly, which I'm worried about its safety issue and its whole atmosphere).

The question is this: Should I re-apply because I want to go to NYU/BU over Temple? I'm not considering re-applying because of school's prestigiousness - I just want to have safe, fun city-life this time.
(Temple ppl, please do not feel offended by this post - I just value the environment factor really much.)

oGPA/scGPA: 3.43/3.37 (I think these GPA's will stay same after my fourth year)
DAT: 20/21/21/18 (overall,science,PAT,reading) I'm not going to retake. Too much of hassle to go through again.
Shadowing: Had 64hours, but when I re-apply would have ~100 hours

The problem is, my application won't improve except my shadowing/community service hour, and the date I apply:
***The reason I think I didn't get into other schools is that I applied in early July and was completed in early September (I did not realize my recommendations were in AADSAS until late August - BIG MISTAKE). If I apply this time, I'll be able to finish everything on June 1st.

What do you people think?

P.S. I didn't interview at NYU and BU - but I did not get rejection emails from them yet. They keep telling me to wait. But I would say chances are pretty slim at this time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that would be a terrible decision. Go to Temple. Everyone else will tell you the same thing

Dental school will be different from undergrad. You will be studying a lot more and you won't have very much time to have fun (if at all). I don't think the environment outside your apartment, library and dorm will be important. Also is wasting a year worth it just to go to NYU or BU?

If you feel very strongly about it feel free to apply, but since your GPA won't change and neither will your DAT, your application results might be similar to this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dental school will be different from undergrad. You will be studying a lot more and you won't have very much time to have fun (if at all). I don't think the environment outside your apartment, library and dorm will be important. Also is wasting a year worth it just to go to NYU or BU?

If you feel very strongly about it feel free to apply, but since your GPA won't change and neither will your DAT, your application results might be similar to this year.

but this time I'll be applying on the very first day - wouldn't that get me very different results next time?

This sounds super cheesy, but you should follow your heart. If you value the environment of the school more than getting the education, then sure, go ahead and reapply.

Personally, I'd go to Temple. You worked hard, you got in, and you never know if you'll get into NYU or BU. You have countless opportunities after you're done with school to travel and live in those areas if you want. If you're willing to take the risk... then by all means.

This is a funny post.
if u didnt interview at nyu or bu this cycle how will u MAKE SURE you will get invited this upcoming cycle? Is ur parent an adcom? Hmmmmmmmmm doubtful.
north philly is not that bad. Unless u are out at like 3am walking alone and your a female i really dont think anything bad will happen to u.
If u prefer peaches roses butterflies and grassy fields ur whole life, yeaaaaaa then just reapply next yr and apply to schools that r only in the suburbs.

Why did you apply to Temple in the first place if you know you wouldn't like it there? A lot of your post doesn't make any sense, and there are no guarantees that you'll get in anywhere next time. You have an acceptance now, I would take it.

You are right that there's no guarantee that I'll get into those schools when I didn't this cycle, but I believe that I didn't get interview invites from those schools because I applied late - if I apply on the first day this time, I believe* that I have good chances. But again, who knows.

Any other opinions?

But considering four years I spent as an undergrad in a suburb, I really wanted to go to NYU or BU (Temple is in North Philly, which I'm worried about its safety issue and its whole atmosphere).

The question is this: Should I re-apply because I want to go to NYU/BU over Temple? I'm not considering re-applying because of school's prestigiousness - I just want to have safe, fun city-life this time.
(Temple ppl, please do not feel offended by this post - I just value the environment factor really much.)

DAT: 20/21/21/18 (overall,science,PAT,reading) I'm not going to retake. Too much of hassle to go through again.

The problem is, my application won't improve except my shadowing/community service hour, and the date I apply:
***The reason I think I didn't get into other schools is that I applied in early July and was completed in early September (I did not realize my recommendations were in AADSAS until late August - BIG MISTAKE). If I apply this time, I'll be able to finish everything on June 1st.

P.S. I didn't interview at NYU and BU - but I did not get rejection emails from them yet. They keep telling me to wait. But I would say chances are pretty slim at this time.

After living there for two years, I hated Philadelphia. I took a few classes at Temple and would get e-mail warnings every now and then to avoid areas next to or on campus because someone had been stabbed or murdered and the suspect had not yet be apprehended. I personally would only attend a philly dental school if it was the only place I was admitted, but I guess it depends on whether or not you're willing to wait the extra year. Obviously, dental school admission is an unpredictable process, so there are no guarantees for next cycle. It's a risk to wait for another cycle, but your numbers look like they would give you a good chance for those two schools if you apply early. I believe many people on here will say you're making a big mistake if you don't go. In the end, it's your decision.

They're not the ones that end up walking to the train through a very unsafe area after dark because you've studied late. Basically, I understand if you go because Temple has a good program, but I also understand if you don't.:thumbup:

Last edited:
It is not as dangerous as people make it out to seem, I have been in the library past midnight this past week(finals week) and have walked to the parking garage without a problem. They have security on broad street(even at midnight and later) which is where the school/library, and everything you need is located.

Also, as for the city, Philadelphia is a pretty amazing city, and relatively far more affordable than both boston and NYC.

Plus, temple is pretty phenomenal, i am actually very happy and not hating my life at dental school(rare, i know.. again, I have 4 finals coming up this week).

This might be far-fetched, but I'll throw it out there for consideration.

Assuming you're honest on the application (when they ask if you've applied before) and in your interview (if they happen to ask what happened last cycle or what you've done differently or to improve this cycle), you have to be ready to sit in front of someone at an interview and explain why you dumped an acceptance. I'm sure you'd make it sound better than just not wanting to live in Philly. I don't know and I would hope that it would never get this far, but you have to consider it. I'd be too afraid to lie or skirt a question about acceptance if it came up. Who knows what these people already know.

You'll probably get mixed feelings on the matter much like you see here. Some may applaud you for following your heart or whatever and looking after your potential for fun and enjoyment. Maybe they'll be flattered that you love their city so much.

But some may also question your logic and judgment for even applying to programs you didn't want in the first place and for declining an acceptance in a competitive process and then taking a gamble a second time with essentially the same application.

I think maybe you'd get in somewhere. But even with a perfect application and the likelihood of BU or NYU, there's still a bit of luck in the process and it would really suck if you ended up not getting into either programs or to any at all.

Do not re-apply. An admissions person could easily assume that if you were willing to dump an acceptance, you would dump theirs too.

Also, Temple has a robust clinical program and the city is full of culture in safe areas. Shut up and go.

Stupid logic= don't re-apply. its Philly not a war zone people. Don't be stupid and you will be fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are really worried about north philly, live anywhere else in the city. It's not as bad as people make it out to be.

You dont really know how lucky you are to be one of the predents who get accepted. You dont know how lucky you are to be a dental student. You really don't know.

One of my friend has higher stats than you. It takes him 3 cycles to get in. Every year, there are thousands of predents who would do almost everything to get in. You give it up just because of the area.

I'd say please don't go because there would be someone out there who is dying to be in your position. sigh..

I would go to Temple and save myself a year of application related fees and stress. Plus, I hear Temple has a great clinical program so you're definitely in good hands.
And imagine having to explain to schools next cycle why you are reapplying when you've been accepted this cycle :rolleyes: don't take for granted what others would love to have.
Although location is important, regardless of where you go, there will be crime. Just be careful

As a former premed, I am relatively new at dental forum. If one starts a thread like this at premed forum, he or she could be banned outright for trolling. :D

Dude, lots of programs don't read your recommendation letters until your interview. I'm pretty sure it's not your LOEs that was holding you back.

Your GPA is on the weak side, and the application process is very random. It gets more random the lower your stats. Also, admission averages seem to be increasing every year. You'll be shooting yourself in the foot if you think you can just walk into BU or NYU next year.

If you wanna be a dentist. Then go to Temple.

but this time I'll be applying on the very first day - wouldn't that get me very different results next time?

September isn't too late. It really won't make too much of a difference. NYU and BU also have huge class sizes so I am sure it isn't quite as competitive as other smaller schools. Ultimately the decision is yours but I would strongly suggest against re-applying.

Terrible idea.

You should go to Temple.

Why?
1. Those two schools you mentioned interview till very late, but you didn't get their interview invitation yet. This tells me that you have something that wasn't good enough for them to give you interview.
2. Your DATs are pretty good, but your GPAs are not high enough.

Good luck

Are you nuts? Sorry but alot of great dschools are not in fun city cutesy towns. And you wont have time for loads of fun anyway.

So OP gets into Temple this cycle and thinks he's hot stuff now?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Your GPA is not that good, and your DAT is average for what schools accept. Your shadowing is not outstanding and even at 100 h it will be just average. You are a very lucky person to get an acceptance at a good school. Take it and stop whining around.

Go to Temple, get over the four years and then move to NY or Boston to practice....

If I were you, I'd stick with Temple. Only because it doesn't seem worth going through the entire application cycle all over again just for the possibility of living in NYC or Boston.

I understand your desire to be in a fun environment. Even if some people think you'll have no life outside of dental school, planning for a healthy social life is never a bad thing. Philly is a nice city. North Philly can get a bad rep but there's worse out there.

If you really want to see New York, it's a 2 hr bus ride from Philly. You can easily make a day trip out of it if you keep your academics in check.

Terrible decision. There's no guarantee you'll get in anywhere next year. Or the year after that. You might be throwing away the next 2+ years of your life.

Go to Temple. It's a good place to be.

Go to Temple. Once you are there you'll probably be happy. Be grateful that you got an acceptance.

In any event, congratulations!

I can relate... kind of.

I was accepted to Maryland, UCONN, and Tufts. Unfortunately, I was not accepted to my instate school (UNC) which happened to be my top choice. I was surprised to have been denied. I liked the location and, most importantly, the cost.

I'm teetering on declining my acceptances and reapplying next year as well, but as some posters have mentioned, it's a risky move. It seems like the responses here have been overwhelmingly against this idea.

---

GPA 3.7
AA 21, TS 22, PAT 23
Teach For America

Would you be okay with possibly waiting the next 1-3 years of your life for UNC? If you are, then go ahead and decline them. If not, just choose the cheapest option and make the best of it. They're all good schools.

Consider the worst-case scenario. What if you turned down Temple in the HOPES of getting into NYU or BU, and then you *didn't* get in next year? Can you imagine how you might feel? I think it would be a bad idea to turn down an acceptance.

Also, take solace in the fact that at least you haven't been denied at those places yet, so there's at least a slim chance. You never know! But definitely go with the acceptance. Plus, wouldn't Temple be cheaper in total costs than either NYU and BU? Are you PA resident?

If pursuing dentistry as a career is your dream, then it shouldn't matter where you go to school. Turning down an acceptance is an awful decision because you never know what the next cycle will be like. Why didn't you get in this cycle? your GPA,DAT?? you may or may NOT improve those and even if you do, there is NO guarantee that the schools you like will take you. It is a competitive field and turning down an acceptance is a bad idea!!

My troll alarm is going off :thumbdown:

Last edited:
I can relate... kind of.

I was accepted to Maryland, UCONN, and Tufts. Unfortunately, I was not accepted to my instate school (UNC) which happened to be my top choice. I was surprised to have been denied. I liked the location and, most importantly, the cost.

I'm teetering on declining my acceptances and reapplying next year as well, but as some posters have mentioned, it's a risky move. It seems like the responses here have been overwhelmingly against this idea.

---

GPA 3.7
AA 21, TS 22, PAT 23
Teach For America

:eyebrow:

Three great schools. This has to be a troll.

I wouldnt ever wait another year. When you're invited to the party, you go.

DUUUUUDE dont re-apply! Not worth the risk. Go to Temple... DO It lol

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You should reapply, that way you could leave the spot open for someone who would appreciate the acceptance a bit more.