Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Accepted to AZCOM - 2006

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by William_Trask, Oct 29, 2001.

1. William_Trask

William_Trask Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, today I was informed that I have been accepted to Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine!

If you have also been accepted to the Class of 2006... post the good news here!

Feel free to contact me at
    [email protected]

2. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yeah, me too. :)

3. Wasabi

Wasabi Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yep, I got my acceptance today (interview date = 10/15). I'm not planning to attend AZCOM, so I guess there will be more room for the rest! Good luck everyone!

4. Maximus

Maximus Member
    10+ Year Member

I got accepted to AZCOM as well! I hope everyone else has success as well!!

Maximus

5. Maximus

Maximus Member
    10+ Year Member

Wow...I really should proof-read my messages. I get a little redundant this early in the morning!!

Maximus

6. titan

titan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Wasabi,

Congrats on your acceptance to AZCOM! Where have you decided to attend? Why not AZCOM? Thanks!!!

7. kirk002

kirk002 ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    To those who interviewed as AZCOM, what hotel would you recommend to stay in and did you rent a car to get around? I have an interview on Nov 15th and i'm just trying to get everything together. thanks

8. JoshD

JoshD Member
    7+ Year Member

I received my acceptance letter to AZCOM last night. I interviewed on Oct. 11th. Like Wasabi I am not planning on attending, but I would like to say congrats to those that are. Take care... :)

9. titan

titan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

JoshD,

Congratulations! Why aren't you going to attend AZCOM? What school do you like? Thanks!

10. Maximus

Maximus Member
    10+ Year Member

KIRK002...

In response to your questions...I stayed in the Sleep in which is pretty close to the campus(3-4 miles). They give a discount to interviewees. Also, I rented from Dollar and found them to be pretty reasonable. My advice is to get on a website like www.expedia.com or www.orbitz.com and search for cheap rentals.

Good Luck!!

Maximus

11. algae

algae Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just a comment to those planning on renting a car for their AZCOM interview -- I had arranged for a reasonably priced rental (thru National) prior to arriving in Phoenix. However, they failed to tell me that Phoenix has the highest car theft rate in the country, and the theft insurance nearly doubled the price I thought I would be paying to rent a car. Keep this in mind when you make your reservations!!!

12. algae

algae Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just a comment to those planning on renting a car for their AZCOM interview -- I had arranged for a reasonably priced rental (thru National) prior to arriving in Phoenix. However, they failed to tell me that Phoenix has the highest car theft rate in the country, and the theft insurance nearly doubled the price I thought I would be paying to rent a car. Keep this in mind when you make your reservations!!! Oh yah, the Sleep Inn was a good place to stay. Make sure you tell them you're interviewing b/c you get a discount.

13. Epi

Epi Fuzzy Tiger
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Congrats Everybody!

14. William_Trask

William_Trask Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

If anyone accepted to AZCOM wanted to chat about the school and what not, we can use AOL Instant Messenger.

My Screen name is MedRed4

15. Sugar72

Sugar72 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I will be attending AZCOM next year and I am super excited about it. Anyone else made the decision to move to the dessert? (yes I have a college degree and I am not sure if I just asked if anyone was moving to a chocolate ice cream sundae or an arid region!)

16. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member
    15+ Year Member

You did, in fact, just ask about a chocolate sundae. "You always want seconds of dessert..."

Everything I needed to know, I learned in kindergarten. The older I get, the truer this becomes.

17. Sugar72

Sugar72 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would probably be more excited to go to school on top of a great big hot fudge sundae. mmmm

18. Aloha Kid

Aloha Kid Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi everyone,

If you haven't already, try checking out the website azcomstudents.org. Lot's of information in there about classes, rotations, residency, the match results for the class of 2000 etc.

19. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Welcome to all who are coming to AZCOM. The student body is very friendly, and there are quite a few activities for the first and second year classes. I look forward to meeting you there!

20. sport

sport Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just received my acceptance last night, soooo excited but too dumb-founded to say anything else...talk to you all when the fog clears

Johndodd :D :eek:

21. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

YES!!!!!!!!! i tried to start one of these at the DO students section and it didn't take off-- looks like we are all here!!! I am super very excited to start at azcom next year!!! I'm also excited to get to know some of you before hand. Congrats to each of you, as in my mind this is the best DO school available-- based on facilities, opportunities, attention to students & class size, board pass rates, & matching. How many of you are looking at student housing?? Also, which of you are married? My wife is looking for people to hang out with while i am dying in class.

22. Sugar72

Sugar72 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    jhug - I am married, but i don't think your wife would want to hang out with my husband unless she is a drummer or bass player! We are going to live in off campus housing because we have pets. We are looking at the sage apts because they are right across the street. I think that we will make a quick trip out there in the late spring to look for places to live. I would rather rent a house, but apt. complexes are very easy living!

I saw your posting on DOCARE and I have been interested in that since I found out about it. My spanish is rusty. The student I interviewed with told me there is a spanish club that gets together regularly to practice and for cultural events.

I am looking forward to it.

23. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

SUGAR- i got a laugh from the husband thing :) In the DO topic area (not pre-DO) there is someone- tedsadoc2002- that is going to guatamala in feb. on a docare program. He left a web address that has a lot of information available. I am hoping that if enough of us push to go...and can show that we can do something worth while- that they will let first years go with them!!

24. sport

sport Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Jhug,

As for the wife-thing, let me answer that in one clear concise...no. But I do have a plant! Give me some time and I'll see what I can do. Doesn't AZCOM have a club/program for spouses?

Sugar72--does your husband play in a band? You said that he would not mind hanging out with some one if they played bass, or drums or something like that.

Anyway I like the idea of going abroad, but Feb. seems right smack in the middle of something????? Oh yeh, school. How do you plan to get around that, is it possible to the same thing in the summer or over spring break? Sounds cool none-the -less.

What are you guys thinking about housing? I think I am going to get a house. I think I will head down in Jan. to take a look around (and watch Oregon in the fiesta Bowl--GO DUCKS).

25. Sugar72

Sugar72 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sport - Yeah my husband is in a band called Suplecs. They play in Portland about 3 or 4 times a year. I don't think they have ever played in Eugene. He is a guitar player. He is on tour about 6-7 months out of the year and will be living in New Orleans at least part of the time I am in Glendale.

Are you looking at buying a house or renting one? When I interviewed I looked through the real estate section and it seems like there are some deals on buying. Of course, I am completely unfamiliar with the areas there so maybe they weren't deals at all!

jhug -The thread in the Osteo area is really getting me excited about the Saturday Spanish speaking clinics. I am very interested in DOCARE but I think I February of my first year might be a little too soon. I think I will just be getting acclimated to change.

26. Maximus

Maximus Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello everyone!!!

I've been accepted to AZCOM and am really excited about attending!!! Nice to see that others are as equally excited ai I. For all the rest who are in Limbo right now....GOOD LUCK!!!

Maximus

P.S. jhug...I talked to you in the airport...nice to see that you got accepted and that you and your wife have made the big decision!

27. sport

sport Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sugar72, I am planning on buying a house, but there are a lot of what ifs that need to be answered. I don't know the area very well at all, but I have extended friends in the area that I have been talking to that say that west pheonix (glendale)is growing at an incredible rate. It looked to be true to me when I visited.

Welcome to the club, maximus!

28. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Maximus- i apologize, but remind me of who you are...wait- didn't you go to a different interview right agter AZCOM? I think i remember you but i'm not sure- didn't we talk about helping our wives like AZ-- sunsets and stuff?? Anywho, congrats and i'll look forward to seeing you there! Are you thinking of doing the on-campus housing thing?

29. Maximus

Maximus Member
    10+ Year Member

jhug...

Yep...that was me. Turns out that my wife really liked Arizona an looks like my wife and I will be there this next fall (if you consider Arizona to ever experience fall...seasons there are more like hot, less hot, warmer, and mercy it is hot). I really like the school and in comparison to the other schools I visited, this one definately feels like it is best for me and what I want to accomplish. It is good to hear that you and your wife are excited as well.

I have a friend who is anxiously awaiting word from Arizona as well. He liked it for many of the similar reasons that we had talked about.

I interviewed at a number of other places of note, but AZCOM was most impressive to me, for various reasons.

It will be fun getting to know yo as well as our other classmates. We have a lot of work to do...better really enjoy our time off!!!

MAXIMUS

30. Maximus

Maximus Member
    10+ Year Member

OOPS!!!

I forgot to answer your other question...My wife and I have been really impressed with a number of the places immediately off campus. I think we are going to look there first, although the on capmus housing there is really very nice. Any way you go I think is a good deal.

MAXIMUS

31. dirkdiggler

dirkdiggler Member
    7+ Year Member

Congrats to everyone, I just interviewed there about one week ago. It was my first interview and I felt a little intimidated! Dr. Carugui was my D.O hardest interviewer, any feedback on your interview and profile would be great,
    mine is 8,8,9, 3.5 and tons of ECAs.

long live columbia!!!

32. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

JUAN-- i had dr. carugui (isn't he in charge of the surgery dept?). i remember him being slightly intimidating but near the end of my interview he totally starting selling the school to me...i'm interested in surgery. Best of luck to you, AZCOM really is an amazing school and i am super excited to start there next year.

33. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

JUAN-- sorry-- two in a row :) Anywho, i was going to tell you-- don't worry to much about the stats thing. I have a good friend who did better than me on the MCAT and our grades are quite similar--yet he didn't even interview at azcom (i did in early October). My point i guess is that there is so much more that goes into getting in (ie. clinical experience, letters, and how your interview feels--and a lot of luck!!) just know, if you have done your best- you'll end up where you should!

34. jimjones

jimjones Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

jhug: You are interested in surgery. Doesn't it bother you that the school has only 4 weeks of surgery in third year? I challange anyone to find another med school with less than 6 weeks in the third year... I can't find any. And when residency directors are skimming through the applications to see who they interview.. wouldn't they choose someone with 8 weeks experience?

I know there is another 4 weeks in 4th year, but by then those who are interested in surgery are doing electives/subinternships in it anyway.

35. tedsadoc2002

tedsadoc2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Then there is the beauty of having a 3rd year elective, that you select on your own add a surgery! It's simple. :cool: :cool: :cool:

36. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I TOTALLY agree with tedsadoc! I don't have to have a school tell me how much/little i can participate in a certain field of medicine. I will have plenty of elective time to dedicate to surgery...but more importantly the places AZCOM will get me into are what impress my--ie: MAYO!! I also love how azcom does their rotations...what will it benefit me if i am in a surgery rotation for a full year but never meet the surgeon because i'm behing a 4th year, interns and residents??? You don't learn much on a stool looking at a mirror on the ceiling compared to preceptoring a surgeon!! Tedsadoc- what field are you looking at and how did you swing the mayo & ucsf rotation sites?? I would love to meet and talk with you about all you've done!

37. tedsadoc2002

tedsadoc2002 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi,

I will be doing IM with a future fellowship in pulmonary/critical care (I like the intensivist's role). In Jan-February of our third year we start selecting our rotations for the fourth year. There are resource catalogues in the clinical ed office and your next best resource are the people in the class ahead of you. When you are a first year, get to know some of your "big brothers and sisters". They can advise you as to which rotations will benefit or harm you. I was fortunate enough to know some people in the class before me who put me on the right track. There was a catalogue in the clinical ed office for Mayo, (there was an Internal Med acting internship that I wanted to do, I applied for it and did the same with UCSF-Fresno). I should be somewhere around the school for the next 3 weeks and then I travel again until about March (something about Match Day being then :D ).

Dr. Carungi is (when you can find him, he's usually busy) a good person to know if you want to do surgery (especially in the Valley). Hope this helps. :cool: :cool: :cool:

38. titan

titan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everyone....

I just received my acceptance letter to AZCOM! I am very happy b/c I really liked the school. Now I have to decide between AZCOM, DMU, and KCOM. Congrats to all of you who have been accepted to AZCOM!!!! Feel free to e-mail me.......

39. Kadyra

Kadyra Will drive for music.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Congratulations! I had a choice similar to yours, too. I had to make lists and really think about it, which I didn't think I would. Good luck with the choosing.

40. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Tcom06, how is the decision process coming? I had to choose between DMU and AZCOM-- i pulled my app from KCOM. One of the deciding factors was class size- i didn't feel DMU could give me real one-on-one/personal attention with such a large class size. Board pass rates & matching also pushed me to azcom- DMU told me they didn't keep a record of where their students matched- did they say anything like that to your group? Best of luck to you and out of those three- no matter where you go you'll get a great education!

41. titan

titan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

42. sport

sport Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

tcom06

congratulations? I am curious about you sreen name, makes me think of Touro 2006?
    Anyway, It should be fun meeting all of you next year.

I have a question for everyone going to AZCOM next year. Is anyone going to live off campus? If so is anyone looking for roommates? I am looking at houses close to campus and I am curious who is or will be doing the same. I will be going to arizona over new years to watch the Ducks play in the Fiesta bowl and I will also be checking the housing situation around Glendale. Anyway, hope everyone has a happy holidays. :D

43. Emil Erickson

Emil Erickson Member
    7+ Year Member

Congrats to my future classmates at AZCOM~!!! I just got my acceptance letter in the mail on Saturday and I am so stoked!!
    I look forward to meeting everyone, studying, cramming, and slipping a little fun into the mix!!
    I'm kind of interested in living on campus....although things could change.
    I'm extremely impressed with the school, board pass rates, the way rotations are set up, etc. (all the same reasons for which you are also big on AZCOM I'm sure)...anywho, good luck for those still trying to make a decision.

44. titan

titan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

45. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

It's good to hear others talk about living on campus! :) In all of our free time :( we can get together and play some volleyball! GO DUCKS!!!

46. dakotagirl

dakotagirl Junior Member

AZCOM, here I come!! I can't wait to actually begin the next chapter of my life. Can you believe that we're going to be doctors?? I know that next fall is right around the corner, but it feels like I've been working towards getting into med school for years. Wait a minute...I have! See you all in August!

47. sport

sport Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

emil & dakotagirl congrats on your acceptances......where are you all from? Ok, dakotagirl I've got a 50/50 chance, I say south.

Hey, jhug, GO DUCKS!!! Anybody have any views on the fiesta bowl? Oregon vs. Colorado. I have the ducks by 6 points. :D

48. Emil Erickson

Emil Erickson Member
    7+ Year Member

Sport,
    Jhug and I share the same state.....Utah!! We have a ton of snow this year which is good because the Olympics will be here in February. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Ducks are playing one of the hottest teams in the country. I don't really care who wins, but I think Colorado will beat them by two TD's. I hope I didn't just offend you!!! If I did, I'm sorry.
    peace,
    Emil :cool:

49. jhug

jhug 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Emil, isn't this winter crazy?!! this is how i remember it when i was a little kid- 6 ft. snow banks and cars off the side of the road!! :) are you volunteering for the olympics? I complain about having to turn on my car in the freezing cold, and using the little scraper thing to get the ice off my windshield, but i know down in arizona i'll miss it. Oh well, the sacrafices of medical school :D I have a question for anybody and everybody....i have next semester pretty much off, i have all the classes to graduate and am just waiting to walk with my wife-- would you work and try to save up as much as possible?, would you take anymore classes?, or just play all spring? Any input is appreciated!

50. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member
    15+ Year Member