Accepted to D.O. School and considering reapplying for M.D. Please Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you think?

• No, go to the D.O. School

Votes: 96 78.7%
  • Yes, reapply for M.D. programs

Votes: 26 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I applied to 10 M.D. schools and was interviewed at two of them(U of Washington and U of Utah) and got rejected by both. I also applied to three D.O. schools and got accepted to all three (Rocky Vista, WesternU COMP, and KCOMB). I ended up accepting the COMP offer and have already paid both deposits. However, after reading into several posts about D.O. school and residencies, I'm starting to worry a little. My want for an M.D. degree has nothing to do with the title behind the name, but rather my competitiveness for good residency programs. Although I'm keeping an open mind about what I am going to specialize in, I am really interested in Orthopedics and I do know that there are D.O. ortho residencies. Obviously I'll be a doctor in the end no matter what route I take, but I'm starting to question whether or not I'll be happy with the D.O. route because it seems like they are limited in several ways that an M.D. isn't. Do you think it'd be worth to reapply to M.D. programs for the next year? Here are my stats, and I'm considering retaking the MCAT if I were to reapply:

-3.97 Cumulative GPA
-4.00 Science GPA
-27 MCAT
-Current Certified Nurse's Assistant (CNA)
-100 + hours of job shadowing a variety of physicians
-100 + hours volunteering
-Assisted Doctoral student with research for one full-year. Research is now published
-Several leadership roles

Please let me know what you think! Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

you'll need to increase your MCAT score to have a better shot at getting into MD school next year. If not, go to DO school

if your concerned about matching as a DO, you havent checked the match lists for 2009, or any other year for that matter. ESPECIALLY westernu... dude you can get anything you want if u work hard enough for it from westernu/comp

its a DO, not a death sentence.

Members don't see this ad :)
as long as you're happy with the school you got into (casting aside presumptions about degree titles), then I would enroll in the school you already got into.
However, if i got into a school i wasn't thrilled about and i think i stood a good shot at another ten or so places (that I think were a better fit for me), i would consider reapplying. Things I would take into account would be the weighing of the biggest mistake id make as a premed (if i didnt get in next cycle) vs. the reward of things actually panning out in my favor and my getting into a more suitable school.

Your stats look fantastic minus your MCAT score. There is no point in reapplying to MD if nothing has really changed on your application next year. The 27 mcat is the only thing holding you back from MD. If you are confident you can get a 30+ then reapply for MD if not go with the DO.

Last edited:
You'll also be sacrificing 1 year of six figs. That would blow if you end up still going DO. I'd find humor in it though. At your expense, of course.

EDIT: I just realized something. Your having rejected the DO schools would likely get you functionally blacklisted in the future. Now that humor is even greater than my previous sentiment. It's OK though, I hear the police are always hiring.

:thumbdown:

Thanks for the input so far :) I'd still like to see what others have to say and their reasoning behind it.

Part of me (the tired, cranky part) wants to agree with Optimator and find humor in you getting accepted to a US medical school and turning it down for the hope of getting accepted next year to an MD school.

However, I will say that while some DO residencies are not known for their quality, I believe that the orthopedic DO residencies are good. For a very competitive field like othro here is the possible advantage for DO, that you have two matches to devote yourself toward landing a spot.

Of course no matter where you go to school, MD or DO, it will be difficult for ortho.

I would take residency out of the equation and go with how you felt about the school. Is it a good fit for you? Were you comfortable there? If you have doubts about these questions then that is a whole different story and re-applying is probably a good idea.

Good luck and let us know what your plans are.

You'll also be sacrificing 1 year of six figs. That would blow if you end up still going DO. I'd find humor in it though. At your expense, of course.

EDIT: I just realized something. Your having rejected the DO schools would likely get you functionally blacklisted in the future. Now that humor is even greater than my previous sentiment. It's OK though, I hear the police are always hiring.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. Ok maybe I'm just cranky, but if you wasn't 100% percent sure about DO schools then why apply.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:. Ok maybe I'm just cranky, but if you wasn't 100% percent sure about DO schools then why apply.

Yeah exactly. Why bother applying to places when you wouldn't go to them even if they were your only acceptances?

I went though a similar process. And am still holding a DO acceptance (UMDNJ).

I think Western U/COMP is an excellent program and if you do well and take the USMLE as well as the COMLEX you can still match ACGME Ortho or AOA Ortho. I personally would choose to start ASAP and not wait for the MD. Especially if it was Western.

Congratulations on your acceptance!

Go start med school. DO degree is not going to "hold you back"

I also agree in that if you were to reapply with your app changing much then that's kind of pointless, unless you just start applying everywhere.

But if you're happy at where ever you have an acceptance and can see yourself doing well there then go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Difficult situation. Your GPA is great...the MCAT is pretty low for a MD school and you would need a better score to get in a US MD school, most likely. You also could increase the volunteer hours. You definitely didn't apply to enough schools, either. I agree you should not have applied to DO schools if you weren't willing to go, but that's all water under the bridge.

I don't really know anything about DO ortho residencies, so I can't comment about them. I also don't know anything about Western U. or its quality as a med schools. I think that to get an ACGME ortho residency out of a DO school is going to be quite hard...even to get one out of an allopathic school is quite hard. Also, they tend to put significant stock in standardized test scores, and the lower MCAT score makes me wonder whether you will be a high scored on the USMLE exam. Of course, the 3rd year surgery grade is the #1 most important thing for getting an ortho residency, but also the test scores matter (not MCAT, but the USMLE if you go for allopathic ortho residencies). I wonder how many DO ortho residencies there are...if there are a lot of spots, it might be equal difficulty (or easier) to get one of those vs. going to an allopathic school and trying to get an allopathic ortho residency. Maybe you need to do some more investigating and see how many folks Western matches into ortho per year in the past couple of years (look at the DO and allopathic ortho matches, and also matches into other surgical fields). That might help you guess at your chances.

I think if you turn down the admissions offer, you probably won't get into those DO schools next year because likely they'll remember you. I kind of doubt there is some "official black list" and would think that if you reapplied (but to different DO schools) next year they would be unlikely to reject you unless you told them you had been accepted somewhere this year and turned it down, which I doubt you'd be obligated to do. I'm not sure about this, though.

You have to weigh all the pros and cons of what you are doing. Do you really want to go through the whole med school admissions process again next year? On one hand, it will be easier b/c you know the drill, but on the other hand you are losing a year, and a guaranteed acceptance. If you do reapply, then I think you need to apply to a lot more schools (like 30 or so) and you need to retake the MCAT ASAP...like this summer. You would need to start studying now. You also need to take into account cost of your education...I don't know what the tuition is at Western...probably more than U of Washington or U of Utah?

Finally, I feel compelled to mention that ortho is a very, very hard residency to get, and a lot of people who start out wanting it never get into ortho despite working hard in med school. Would you still want to be a doctor if you had to go into some other field, like general surgery or family practice? I think you need to consider that in your decision to enroll in med school.

Personally, I declined an offer to attend WVCOM and applied to MD schools the following year. For me, the decision made sense, both financially (14k tution vs 48k tuition) and personally (wife wanted to go to a school with a DPT program).

Looking back on it, that decision would have beeen the dumbest one that I made... If I wouldn't have been accepted to the school of my choice the following year.

I don't regret it.

UG GPA 3.45
Grad GPA 3.91
MCAT 31Q

PS. Why don't you take the MCAT this month and see how you do? If you jump above a 30, then you know you'll have a better chance at the MD program.. and you will know soon enough to get out of DO school.

Last edited:
Call the DO schools and ask about their defferal process. I know some schools actually let you reapply to medical school the following year (University of Wisconsin comes to mind). You should not of applied to that many DO schools if you didn't want to go. They most likely never accept you ever again.

I was told directly by the Dean of Admission of a very competitive MD school (which I'm wait listed on) that if I didn't get off the list, to goto one of the DO schools I've been accepted to. After much though, I probably won't go to the MD school even if I'm accepted (I'm completely sold on Problem based learning at LECOM-B).

As long as your dealing with lecture based learned, the difference in actual learning will be minimum (outside of OMM) between DO/MD. If you find research opportunities (which you'll have to do in either MD or DO school) during the summers, you will be just fine for competitive residencies.

I interviewed at Western this cycle. The school has their stuff together. Very good rotations and residency placement. Check out their match list: Western COMP Match If I wanted to move to the west coast I would have gone there. You got into medical school! GO!

Often blinded by the competition of med school admission, we tend to forget why we started this ordeal: to become doctors.

Last edited:
All very good insights and I appreciate it very much. Being able to see it from other's perspectives helps a lot because I'm so caught up in over-analyzing that I can't see the whole picture. So, thanks again!

DrCrusat.
What are your career goals right now?
The Western match list looks all right, particularly if you want to stay in the West, but is very primary care heavy (plus psych and PM and R). If you are unlikely to want a competitive specialty, I think the school will be fine for you. I don't see the diversity of different specialties and competitive stuff (like radiology, urology, ENT, plastic surgery, etc.) on there. That is probably partly self-selection (i.e. students who want to do primary care tend to choose that type of school) but also likely has something to do with it being a DO school and/or not being well known outside of its region. If you just want to be a doc and probably do primary care or something else not hard to get a spot, then the school will likely serve you just fine.

Have to weighh the opportunity cost of waiting another year, and the risk (although small) of getting in nowhere at all if you try again next year. I think you'll have to step up your application a notch in order to get admitted to any MD schools...would need to show improvement in your application.

I might be in a similar position soon. If anyone can help me I would be so thankful.

Say there are two schools.

School X is an MD school and tuition is 25K.
School Y is a DO School and tuition is 35K.

I'd be happy at either school.

If I get into School Y, but not School X should I go to School Y or wait and apply again for School X? I think I'd probably get in if I apply the next year. Which is a better plan? Thanks.

I might be in a similar position soon. If anyone can help me I would be so thankful.

Say there are two schools.

School X is an MD school and tuition is 25K.
School Y is a DO School and tuition is 35K.

I'd be happy at either school.

If no other factors leading you a certain way then I'd say the cheaper school.

If I get into School Y, but not School X should I go to School Y or wait and apply again for School X? I think I'd probably get in if I apply the next year. Which is a better plan? Thanks.

If get into one and not the other then I'd say just go ahead and go to the one you got into and get on with learning the medicines.

Reapplying will also be risky. And why do you say you think you'd get in if you reapplied the next year? Seems like a lot of people say that but unless you retake the MCAT and improve your score dramatically it can be hard to really change your application a whole lot in under a year.

What is that even supposed to mean? I would not want to be your coworker or classmate as a MD, DO or police officer.

My reasoning behind you going to the DO school is that all things considered, you are a pretty much average medical school applicant. Unless you have done volunteering in a unique environment, founded a student organization that has raised a substantial amount of money and had a large community impact, have something different than the research/publication and clinical volunteer work that every applicant has (and I'm a CNA too), it will be a big challenge to get into an MD school with that MCAT score. The chances of you making a significant improvement in your application to stand out among the masses are not in your favor. You at the very least need to improve your MCAT to definitely over 30 but ideally 32 or 33 for confidence and if I were in your shoes I'd take the acceptance and run. I went from a 25 to a 31 so I will not tell you its impossible, but few people realize and make the changes necessary to bring up their scores so significantly. I also have pretty unique experiences (minus research but tons of community health work) and a 3.85/31 MCAT and squeaked by with an allopathic acceptance last week. I wouldn't wish the stress I went through this cycle on anyone.

Count your blessings. Medical school will be what YOU make of it and where you end up in residencies is applicant dependent, not school dependent. If you have a shot at ortho through DO, what's the problem? Ortho is ortho, regardless of MD or DO. I know its not ideal but you already have the opportunity to be a doctor. If someone is dying or in horrendous pain they're not going to care where the heck you went to medical school.

Your GPA is very high, a retake and 31+ on the MCAT would make you a very good applicant on paper.

That said, you may want to consider if you can manage going up 4 points on the MCAT, that's pretty hard. Are there any obvious deficits in how you prepared for the test the 1st time? If so, and you are confident you can correct them, then retaking sounds like a viable option.

However, if you feel you really studied your ***** off for that 27 for many months, maybe the MCAT just isn't your test.

I would not recommend giving up an acceptance w/ your current MCAT score.

Some schools, including U of Utah where you interviewed, are cutting class sizes significantly. # of applications are also on the rise every year, and I have heard talk of significant increase due to the recession (not sure of how valid this concern is). This means fewer spots for more people.

The residency concern is a valid one. At least for the ACGME match, about 70% of DOs match, vs ~96% (?) of US MDs. I'm not sure about the specific stats for ortho, but the consensus seems to be that this would be a difficult task, moreso for a DO than an MD.

It boils down to how badly you want to go MD vs DO. You must be smart, otherwise your GPA would not be so high. If you think you can get higher on the MCAT, you really want an MD school, and you don't mind sitting out a year (or possibly two), then you could do it.

Why don't you contact an admissions person from the schools where you interviewed, and ask their advise on the situation.

I'm a DO student, though I didn't pursue ortho. I tried to match into an MD residency and failed to match (I can't say if that is because of anti-DO bias, plain old bad luck, or some bad impression I unknowingly gave in my interviews). In the end, though, it turned out to be better to be an unmatched DO than an unmatched MD, because I was able to obtain an open osteopathic internship spot I like, while many MDs who went unmatched this year are still looking for an open position to scramble into.
Ortho is definitely going to be competitive no matter which route you take, and there are signs that the residency match in general will be harder for future med school graduates, so my advice to all current pre-meds has been only go into medical school if you can picture yourself being satisfied in one of the less competitive specialties like family practice. Don't put yourself through the ordeal of medical school counting on obtaining a dream like ortho or dermatology, then wind up bitter if it doesn't pan out (there are no guarantees, even if you are a top student at a good MD school).
I'm not sure what the statistics are on how the odds compare for getting an ortho spot if you're a DO vs. if you're an MD. There are fewer DO ortho programs, but also fewer DO medical students in general, so the competitiveness may wind up being about the same.
To me, the osteopathic educational focus does seem to favor those who have an interest in fields like ortho and PM&R. You can read about the osteopathic ortho programs at http://opportunities.osteopathic.org if you think that might help you decide.

One advantage that going DO may offer you is that, if you are the type of person who finds standardized tests difficult (as the MCAT score seems to suggest), the osteopathic world tends to place less value on your test scores and more on the quality of your clinical work. If you end up not doing too great on your board exams, but you personally rotate with some ortho programs and show them you're a good worker, that could end up helping you a lot in the osteopathic world.

Basically, if I were you, I would take the DO spot because it guarantees you will become a doctor - but I say that as someone who views even less "desirable" specialties like family practice as a more pleasant and secure job than many other non-medical professions are. Even in the worst case scenario that you are at a disadvantage for getting an ortho spot compared to MDs, you'll still have a realistic chance at it. Certainly, a better chance than if you were to give up your acceptances this year and didn't get in to a school next year.
Good luck making your choice!

Having considered the angles on this. I think it's key to make an accurate self-assessment. B/c as you can see your answers very with the answerer. The MD fellow is skeptical--s/he knows the ropes of higher levels of competition. Your young DO med students vary from naive to grounded. And so on.

What matters is you.

For instance I, myself would be happy at COMP. But wouldn't be caught dead at a midwestern or eastern DO school. Why? B/c it's Cali livin for me period. I don't mind ending up in primary care, but I want to live where I want to live. COMP is a viable means to this end. But I'm also not 22 and full of piss and vinegar. When someone says Med school is what you make of it, sure, what isn't. I can make a turd sandwich and convince myself it's delicious.

But connections, power, prestige, and access to channels of certain careers, don't follow from the preconceptions of young idealists. They be what they be. And it's tricky coming from the back of the pack. I don't have it in me to kiss that much ass to get past the bouncer in this nightclub. But anyone who pretends that the bouncer doesn't exist is, well, good luck to them anyway....they'll need it.

Self assess. Estimate the odds. Consider the angles. Make a move under your own steam. Understanding where your headed and what it will take to get there given the lay of the land and patterns of the weather.

Thanks for all of your opinions on this topic. I feel a lot more confident that I want to go ahead and pursue a career in medicine as a D.O., and now I'm really excited to go to COMP. Thanks to all of you who have helped me see the bigger picture!!

Thanks for all of your opinions on this topic. I feel a lot more confident that I want to go ahead and pursue a career in medicine as a D.O., and now I'm really excited to go to COMP. Thanks to all of you who have helped me see the bigger picture!!

I would only add that, as a premed, you may think now that Ortho is what you want. You should search threads on here where people discuss how they ended up in residencies they never thought they would be interested in. Once you're in medical school and doing rotations, you may fall in love with a specialty that you never previously considered.

Your GPA numbers are phenomenal. Ok! Ask yourself this question. Do you really care if you have MD or DO next to your name? You're probably aware that DOs can apply for MD residencies. So no need to worry about that. Your GPA tells me that you are one smart ass and I'm damn sure you'll do awesome in med school(DO or MD). So why waste time and efforts that you have already put in and wait another year to apply to MD school? If you are accepted in three DO schools then go for it.

At this point I don't really care for MD/DO title next to my name. I just want to be a good doctor.

And if you really want to be an MD then apply to MD schools' SMP program. That'll still be another year and lot of money. But with your GPA, you can study your ass off and take MCAT again.

Only if you care for the MD title. Best of luck.

That's exciting! Good luck!!!

Yeah, that's why I was really disappointed with my MCAT score....because it doesn't reflect my grades in undergrad. Normally, I never stress out about exams ever. But during the MCAT....well, that is a different story. I placed too much importance on it and couldn't think straight on it. O well, the bottom line is that I'm going to be a doctor. So I'm happy :)

You have a 4.0?

THERE'S NO WAY I WOULD SETTLE WITH A DO SCHOOL IF I HAD A 4.0 GPA. You can DEFINITELY do WAY better on your MCAT than a 27. Trust me, dude. I got a 27 last year after getting in the high 20s on practice tests. My study method last year was terrible. This year, I completely started over, used Berkeley Review, and consistently got in the mid-30s on all my practice tests. I haven't gotten my real score back yet, but I just want to show you some proof as of now that you can definitely raise that MCAT.

There's nothing wrong about going to a DO school or even a Carribean one. However, if you have the ability to do better, you shouldn't sell yourself short. Never settle.

Just go to the DO school, just think, you will become a doctor much sooner.
2.gif

I agree with the above posters. You should go DO unless you can improve your MCAT.

But, as someone with near 4.0 and a 26 on my first MCAT (35 second time), I am confident that you can improve if you put the time in. I'd be glad to give you specific studying advice, etc if you PM me.

I am taking MCAT on July 2nd. I haven't yet applied thru AMCAS.
Should I apply to AMCAS application first (before taking MCATs)?
Or should I wait till I receive MCAT score?
Money is not an issue at all. But, I am unsure how to select med schools......because, once I apply thru AMCAS, I can add or elete med schools, right???

The AMCAS application is pretty long. You should at least start on the personal information and put in your courses and grades. A little bit at a time is better than waiting later to finish it all at once, it's really long..

Go to the DO school. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

You've got a great GPA, so I'm sure you're capable of bumping up the MCAT by 2-4 points... which would likely be enough for an MD if you apply broadly.

I would certainly re-apply, as it would be worth it in the long run, but do what makes you most comfortable.

THERE'S NO WAY I WOULD SETTLE WITH A DO SCHOOL IF I HAD A 4.0 GPA...Never settle.

This mentality that DO schools are merely fallbacks for allopathic rejects has got to go; there is absolutely nothing wrong with going to an osteopathic school compared to an allopathic school, regardless of stats.

OP, if it's really that important to you, put serious effort into boosting your MCAT score and apply broadly to allopathic schools. Otherwise, take the DO acceptance and don't look back.

Thanks, PunkmedGirl! My first thought when I read this was give up the spot to someone that actually want to go to a DO school, and retake the MCAT and apply next year to MD schools only next year.

Also, why did you apply to Wash U? Isn't that one of the most competitive schools to get into?

You have a 4.0?

THERE'S NO WAY I WOULD SETTLE WITH A DO SCHOOL IF I HAD A 4.0 GPA. You can DEFINITELY do WAY better on your MCAT than a 27. Trust me, dude. I got a 27 last year after getting in the high 20s on practice tests. My study method last year was terrible. This year, I completely started over, used Berkeley Review, and consistently got in the mid-30s on all my practice tests. I haven't gotten my real score back yet, but I just want to show you some proof as of now that you can definitely raise that MCAT.

There's nothing wrong about going to a DO school or even a Carribean one. However, if you have the ability to do better, you shouldn't sell yourself short. Never settle.

I agree with this. If your initial goal was to get into an MD program and a competitive ACGME specialty, reapplying is not necessarily a bad thing. You have a terrific overall GPA and science GPA. From my point of view it seems that your MCAT score is holding you back.

It's not considered 'PC' on the SDN forums to say it, but going to an osteopathic school does have significant drawbacks. You will always be at a disadvantage compared to equally qualified US MD candidates for ACGME residencies. Even if you want a less competitive residency, you will still have a tougher time getting into the big name programs due to old-fashioned ivory tower institutional bias.

Feel free to PM me if you have a specific question I can help you with.

You have a 4.0?

Frankly sir, this statement is quite small minded, ridiculous, offensive, and down right stupid.

You are NOT in medical school and therefor you do not KNOW the rigors of an Osteopathic Education. Settle for DO??? Do you realize that there are many highly ranked DO professionals in ALL aspects of medicine?? Of course not. Why would you.

Never Settle?? Don't sell yourself short?? Do you really think that an MD is better than a DO? Of course you do, if you did not then you would not have made such as stupid remark. You really have no clue.

Do us all a favor, do not apply to a DO school. Remember, do not settle or sell yourself short. Because everything is a Guarantee in the admissions process right?

Frankly sir, this statement is quite small minded, ridiculous, offensive, and down right stupid.

You are NOT in medical school and therefor you do not KNOW the rigors of an Osteopathic Education. Settle for DO??? Do you realize that there are many highly ranked DO professionals in ALL aspects of medicine?? Of course not. Why would you.

Never Settle?? Don't sell yourself short?? Do you really think that an MD is better than a DO? Of course you do, if you did not then you would not have made such as stupid remark. You really have no clue.

Do us all a favor, do not apply to a DO school. Remember, do not settle or sell yourself short. Because everything is a Guarantee in the admissions process right?

Wow. All I can say to this is that you're going to have a very rude awakening when you start applying to residencies.

:thumbdown:

At least you picked Western. But, if you can guarantee an increase in score I would reapply. Keep some activities up so you don't look like you don't give a flying....