Accepted to dental school but getting cold feet...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliDent383

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I am set to start dental school in 3 months or so and am strongly considering withdrawing, taking the mcat, and trying to get my application complete by the end of july this cycle.

I don't know how I've managed to string myself on for this long, but when I manage to be honest with myself, I don't really want to be a dentist and I don't think I'll be good at it. Lifestyle is one of the biggest reasons I chose dentistry, and it's a valid selling point, but I find myself doubting whether I'll be happy to drill and fill day in day out. Also, My hands aren't the steadiest and I'm really bad at art, so I think I'll end up getting sued for screwing up someone's teeth, if I even manage to pass operative.

I definitely do want to work in healthcare and I found a passion for physiology while taking it this last semester of college, so I am thinking that med school will lead to a career that fits my interests and also doesn't rely on my hand and artistic skills which are lacking.

I have to make up my mind soon, so please give me some advice. I am worried that admission committees may view my very late change of heart as a serious red flag and think I am too indecisive to be considered. I also don't have much experience shadowing physicians and will not have much time to with a full-time job this summer. Both my sci and non-sci gpa are around 3.87, plenty of research experience, and, judging by past standardized exam performance, I should be able to get a competitive mcat score. I can get my letters of recommendation changed to talk about med school, is there anything else I would need to do? Give me your wisdom.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd say shadow as many types of doctors you can in different specialties and settings. I found my fit that I would enjoy doing for the rest of my life, balancing quality of life and responsibility, even though most of my friends are in med school and my parents weren't happy with my choice.

In my opinion, the profession you choose will take up most of your days, basically for the rest of your life. You do not want to go into something you do not enjoy/cannot learn how to enjoy. Many people in less glamorous fields aka dentistry/podiatry or w/e either have a personal connection to this or learn to enjoy them with monetary reinforcement because less glamorous fields tend to pay more (simple supply and demand imo).

At the same time with your high GPA you would want something intellectually stimulating otherwise it can get monotone and boring so you are def looking in the right places.

Dentistry is excellent in terms of a lack of scope of practice quarrels with other providers (maybe a little bit with oral and maxillo-facial surgeons but you can gain your MD after dental school with a bridge program if you choose this path) and with compensation/insurance.

Medicine is excellent because you get to choose what field to specialize in later in life when you have a better idea of what you really want to do. Also you get the highest level of respect/compensation out of all healthcare professionals. But it is very arduous.

I have doubts myself. I don't think anyone out there doesn't have doubts. Its like a built in check/balance mechanism in our brains.

Simple answer: Go with the flow, see where life takes you. Take the MCAT over the summer while the undergrad material still may be fresh in your head if you are having doubts.

Dude, my dentist had gigantic sausage fingers, and had absolutely no finesse, and always did fine (except on one occasion, and I don't know whether it was bad technique or just because he was rushing) with my teeth. I wouldn't worry too much about the dexterity factor, at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
i know someone who dropped out of dental school (while in the middle of classes), applied to MD, got in and will be starting this year. bottom line is, you have to do what is going to make you happiest. do your best to prepare your application if being a doctor is what you really want and best of luck!

My own dentist told me that she was always set on med from the start. She applied to med and didn't get in, but she applied to dent just because and she was accepted. She started dent school and a year later she tried out for med again and she was successful. She turned it down and ended up staying with dent because she liked it.

I would take it and run. The lifestyle is going to be fantastic and I'm sure the unsteady hands issue will not be a problem. Isn't there some sort of dexterity component on the DAT? They wouldn't have taken you if they thought that it would affect your ability to be a dentist. See how it goes and if you REALLY don't like it after a year, then maybe try out for medical school later.

Ultimately, I would accept the offer and do dentistry.

You have to follow your heart, but drilling for dollars is the future. Medicine is in for troubled times. Your cash and carry dental practice will likely fare better 20 years from now.

+1. drill and bill.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to dental school.

I would have gone to dental school, except that I hate going to the dentist and if I was a dentist, well, it would be hard to live with myself.

I have no idea what to do fml

Understandably so. It's a hard decision.

I feel like since you've already been accepted, you should take advantage. Start dentistry school and see how you like it. You might fall in love with it and you might hate it. If you hate it, then yes, you will have lost money for a year's tuition, but at least you'll know FOR SURE that you don't like it and that dentistry isn't for you. Then you can take your chances on medicine.

You have to follow your heart, but drilling for dollars is the future. Medicine is in for troubled times. Your cash and carry dental practice will likely fare better 20 years from now.

I apologize if I am asking for the obvious, but would you be able to elaborate on what you mean by "troubled times" or direct me to a discussion in this forum about where Medicine is headed? If it is as bad as you say it is, is it for certain?

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize if I am asking for the obvious, but would you be able to elaborate on what you mean by "troubled times" or direct me to a discussion in this forum about where Medicine is headed? If it is as bad as you say it is, is it for certain?

The government is trying to pass a law where if the patient is mistreated or not given antibiotics for a cold they will be executed in public via firing squad. If you're not ready for such a commitment you probably wouldn't be a good doctor. /burnett's law

The government is trying to pass a law where if the patient is mistreated or not given antibiotics for a cold they will be executed in public via firing squad. If you're not ready for such a commitment you probably wouldn't be a good doctor. /burnett's law
:thumbup: lol

That's really witty and funny. Thanks for sharing. :)

I don't know if you're being a d-bag or not. you probably are. but it's true. dentists have it much better than docs.

OP, I'd say defer the acceptance if possible, and figure yourself out in the gap year. There are options for a good lifestyle in medicine. Nothing close to dentistry but imo it's better to be working 60 hours doing something you like vs. 30 hours doing something you don't care about.

Last edited:

Could you expand on this a bit more?

You've got to be kidding me. Reimbursements have been declining for some time both really and relatively, medicaid is not sustainable, the public thinks that we're overpaid and will not stand behind us, things are changing. Do you really understand how poorly medicare pays now? What's going to happen as the baby boomers all get sick and live to 90? We're already DEEP in the hole, too deep. We're not bankrupting the country so grandma and grandpa can get their CABG. 20 years ago Hillarycare went nowhere. Obamacare has finally got the ball rolling. Even if it stalls, things are moving. Obamacare is changing the face of insurance, we will see the effect soon enough. I just hope that the music continues another 10-20 years so that I can get out with what I need. That's not fantasy, it's the reality. Physicians will not be poor, but don't bet on the new S class or E. The scary part is that it's all up in the air. I would not want to take on 3-400K of debt now betting on a real pay day in 8+ years. It all could change by than. I wouldn't bet on fair repayment/forgiveness policies either, though they may be in place.
Dental "insurance" is not changing. It's still cash and carry. That's money in the bank.:thumbup:

If you can stomach the idea of being bent over drilling teeth all day, dentistry is where it's at. I tried to convince myself to like dentistry, because the lifestyle and pay is top notch. I've shadowed a bunch of dentists and they all talked about how much they liked it. It seems like half of the doctors I've shadowed told me they wouldn't do it again.

On the other hand, here I am going to med school. While I know this is a generalization and not always true, med school is for thinkers and dentistry is for doers. Medicine is focused on diagnosis for the most part, while dentistry is focused on the treatment.

...or you could get your dental degree, then apply to an MD/OMFS for dental students. you would do surgery and have your md as well......

...or you could get your dental degree, then apply to an MD/OMFS for dental students. you would do surgery and have your md as well......

You realize you need to be in the top of your class, have excellent board scores and oh yeah.. want to be an OMFS. Plus its 6 years including taking all 3 USMLE Step exams and classroom time(part of MS1 and MS2) while in a residency type of training. What if the OP wants to be a cardiologist?

Just go with dent man.

You will have money and plenty of time to spend with your family.

And nobody is going to "look down" on a dentist.

You've got to be kidding me. Reimbursements have been declining for some time both really and relatively, medicaid is not sustainable, the public thinks that we're overpaid and will not stand behind us, things are changing. Do you really understand how poorly medicare pays now? What's going to happen as the baby boomers all get sick and live to 90? We're already DEEP in the hole, too deep. We're not bankrupting the country so grandma and grandpa can get their CABG. 20 years ago Hillarycare went nowhere. Obamacare has finally got the ball rolling. Even if it stalls, things are moving. Obamacare is changing the face of insurance, we will see the effect soon enough. I just hope that the music continues another 10-20 years so that I can get out with what I need. That's not fantasy, it's the reality. Physicians will not be poor, but don't bet on the new S class or E. The scary part is that it's all up in the air. I would not want to take on 3-400K of debt now betting on a real pay day in 8+ years. It all could change by than. I wouldn't bet on fair repayment/forgiveness policies either, though they may be in place.
Dental "insurance" is not changing. It's still cash and carry. That's money in the bank.:thumbup:

I am not from the U.S so I was not informed to what was happening. Thank you, however, for that post. The one aspect of dentistry that often worries me is that there are so many well-established practices in my area. It worries me because I think that once I graduate (if I ever get accepted, that is), I won't have a lot of clients.

If I get 30+ on the july 28th mcat (earliest available) and start volunteering in the beginning of August (I only have about 20 hours of medical shadowing so far) do I have a chance this cycle or is it too late?

I am not from the U.S so I was not informed to what was happening. Thank you, however, for that post. The one aspect of dentistry that often worries me is that there are so many well-established practices in my area. It worries me because I think that once I graduate (if I ever get accepted, that is), I won't have a lot of clients.

yeah there is a lot of oversaturation in metropolitan areas.

If I get 30+ on the july 28th mcat (earliest available) and start volunteering in the beginning of August (I only have about 20 hours of medical shadowing so far) do I have a chance this cycle or is it too late?

Considering you will be applying in August/Sept, I'm not sure your nonexistent shadowing and volunteering will impress many schools. Well, I guess you might have a couple of days worth.:idea:
Shoot for a 40+.

Well I went ahead and withdrew, you only live once, right? (though I might be kicking myself if i'm living in a box in 5 years...)

To clarify, I do have lots of volunteer experience, just not in a clinical setting. I am gonna get some more medical shadowing in before submitting in late June and I managed to find a lone spot for the July 6th MCAT. Started studying yesterday so it'll be a long month but I'm confident.

Anyway, can anyone give me tips on how to structure my PS? Right now I have a draft that's basically two essays with a good connection; the first half is the experiences that led me to a healthcare career and the second half is how I realized that medicine is a better fit for me than dentistry. Is the PS not the right place to devote this much space to my switch from dentistry; would it be better to leave more room to talk about my reasons for wanting to go into healthcare?

damn gina props to u. that takes guts. im not saying its wise but that takes real guts.

definitely explain why u want to go into healthcare rather than just narrating experiences which can be said in the other part of AMCAS or your secondaries. i think a lot of ppl in their PS's dont explain why they think they would be good in medicine and what skills or sensibilities they could bring to it. if youre going to mention this debacle with dentistry then youre going to have to explain why these skills are better suited for medicine and not dentistry.

good luck gina.

Calident...how did you do on the MCAT?? Am just curious where life has led you!

Why do you keep bumping old dental posts on a pre-medical forum?
OP hasn't posted here since June.

Well guys it's been a long, crazy 7 months but it finally all worked out. I got a 39 on the mcat (sorry to the guy who said shoot for 40+ lol) and was just recently accepted to my first MD school (4 interviews so far and 1 to go). Even though it was pretty stressful, especially in the current economy, I was always confident I made the right decision and didn't want to have any regrets - you only live once. Now this is all just a funny story I suppose - whew!

Reactions: 1 user
Well guys it's been a long, crazy 7 months but it finally all worked out. I got a 39 on the mcat (sorry to the guy who said shoot for 40+ lol) and was just recently accepted to my first MD school (4 interviews so far and 1 to go). Even though it was pretty stressful, especially in the current economy, I was always confident I made the right decision and didn't want to have any regrets - you only live once. Now this is all just a funny story I suppose - whew!
That's incredible, congrats! Mind if I ask how you studied?

Didnt somebody want inspiring stories in another thread? Well, here ya go!

And great job OP. That was definitely a bold move and congrats on the acceptance.

Congrats, Cali!

What you did took guts and is worth respect. I'm glad it ended up working out for you, too (at this point).

I wish you all the luck.

I don't know what is more inspiring?

1) That you pulled this off

2) That you got a FREAKING 39 on the July 6th MCAT with like 1 month of studying. The July 6th MCAT was reported to be the HARDEST FREAKING test of the YEAR. How the heck did you pull that off????

Yes, my choice is #2.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone... reading back through this topic was pretty crazy just now as I remembered how anxious and unsure I was about everything at that point. Gotta give thanks to Shnurek, cinematographie, and others (even IlDestriero for his first few words heh) for encouraging me to follow my heart.

As for the MCAT, I basically had a strong base (in terms of both VR ability and science knowledge) from which to start with and put in 8-10 hours/day on most days during that month. I went through EK books for content and did most of the AAMC tests but mainly focused on improving PS after my diagnostic. Kaplan PS sections were really challenging and helped me improve a lot... feel free to pm if you want more details about my prep. And for the July 6th test, oh man that was an absolute beast. 5x harder than any aamc (especially that bio) and walking out of prometric I'm pretty sure I wished I had went to dental school lol. Apparently everyone else felt the same way though so the curve worked out in my favor.

Good luck to everyone else out there who's still unsure of what to do - find and follow your heart before you're in as deep as I was heh.

Last edited:

Scary stuff right here for an aspiring med student. And borderline discouraging.. I love the thought of being in medicine, specifically surgery, so that I could potentially save lives.. but the thought of a good income is a factor as well. If im being honest. Lol

so glad to see everything worked out, calident! :) best of luck in medical school! :luck:

My god have I heard this for every health profession.
Pharmacy, Veterinary, Phys Therapy, Occ Therapy, even Dentistry.
I dunno what to believe anymore!
:confused:

My god have I heard this for every health profession.
Pharmacy, Veterinary, Phys Therapy, Occ Therapy, even Dentistry.
I dunno what to believe anymore!
:confused:

Everything is always going to ****, always.

My dentist says the same things about dentistry:

"There are too many dentists! We'll end up over-saturated like lawyers! My back hurts all the time! What if they come up with something that completely prevents cavities, them I'm ****ed! When the economy is tough no one comes to the dentist! Did you know USC dental is 80k a year now?! How will the new grads pay that off! They won't be able to, of course. People think I'm not a real doctor and don't give me the respect I deserve!"

In short, just do what you want. There is NO field (medicine, dentistry, engineering, business, law, shooting for a faculty position) that gives you a guarantee of a safe future.

"There are too many dentists! We'll end up over-saturated like lawyers! My back hurts all the time! What if they come up with something that completely prevents cavities, them I'm ****ed! When the economy is tough no one comes to the dentist! Did you know USC dental is 80k a year now?! How will the new grads pay that off! They won't be able to, of course. People think I'm not a real doctor and don't give me the respect I deserve!"

In short, just do what you want. There is NO field (medicine, dentistry, engineering, business, law, shooting for a faculty position) that gives you a guarantee of a safe future.

Uhhh, yeah there is:

golddiggingur128505540398437500.jpg

Apparently dentists are retiring at a faster rate than are graduating from dental school, or so I've heard. So the field is definitely opening up for graduating dentists.

Hey all, I randomly remembered this thread and found my login, so I figured I would come back and provide an update. It's now 11 years since this post when I was at my wit's end. I've completed medical school, internal medicine residency, and now fellowship in pulmonary and critical care and am starting out as a new attending. In retrospect, I could not be any happier that I made the decision I did. Nothing against dentistry, but I realize now that a career based primarily on decision-making, critical thinking about physiology, and communication as opposed to days full of procedures is much more stimulating to me and rewarding.

The main piece of advice I would give from my experience is if you're interested in medicine, don't let the anonymous posters on the internet scare you away by telling you you will "lose" 10 years of your life in training, as this is pretty much what pushed me more toward dentistry in the first place. While I worked hard the past 10 years, they were overall an amazing 10 years that I will always remember fondly. I did plenty of traveling and enjoying myself, met my wife, had a child, and residency/fellowship allowed for me to move to fun new areas of the country with a built-in job and social connections of similar age. All of my friends from medical school also lived and enjoyed their life during training (except for a few surgical specialties), so that concern was total BS. My attending job is primarily ICU so I basically have 26 weeks off - I think the schedule is great. I am making plenty of money and it is just a matter of time before I surpass any lost earnings by not being a dentist for 6 years. But all of that is far less important to me than feeling that I am doing something stimulating and meaningful. The extra time allowed by medical school to find out what you want to do, combined with the huge number of specialty options in medicine, makes it much more likely to be able find the right fit for yourself.

Anyway, if anyone is in a similar situation I recommend you follow your gut and don't be scared off by things you read from disillusioned posters on the internet!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users