Accepted to dental school, previous underage possession that was dismissed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wiscodent18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just completed my background check and a possession of alcohol charge that happened 3 or 4 years ago came up that I had dismissed through a program that my university offered. Although the record comes up on the background check under disposition it says: dismissed. I did not include this on my aadsas application because it asks "Are you currently under charge or have been convicted of a misdemeanor?". I am not currently under charge and the charge was dismissed hence no conviction. Will this interfere with my acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Maybe call the schools and explain your situation. Is this for schools you have been accepted to?
yes it is for a school I have been accepted to. I mean I don't think they can punish me for a crime I was never convicted of correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes it is for a school I have been accepted to. I mean I don't think they can punish me for a crime I was never convicted of correct?
No not at all. If you can meet with them in person do that. Otherwise call them up and say you were accused of doing xxx but the case was dismissed after formal legal procedures. Nothing to worry about

Reactions: 1 users
No not at all. If you can meet with them in person do that. Otherwise call them up and say you were accused of doing xxx but the case was dismissed after formal legal procedures. Nothing to worry about
This is def. the right choice. Call them.

Reactions: 1 user
Good call.

Last edited:
I just completed my background check and a possession of alcohol charge that happened 3/4 years ago came up that I had dismissed through a program that my university offered. Although the record comes up on the background check under disposition it says: dismissed. I did not include this on my aadsas application because it asks "Are you currently under charge or have been convicted of a misdemeanor?". I am not currently under charge and the charge was dismissed hence no conviction. Will this interfere with my acceptance?
Calling them would definitely be the right choice. But I think conviction means you were declared to be convicted of a crime despite it being expunged or not. Again call them.. I know nothing.

I am actually in a very similar situation. I have a dismissed misdemeanor and have been accepted and just paid for the background check. There was never an opportunity to explain it because all of the questions asked about convictions. I was a little bit worried, but if they ask about it I'm planning on just telling the truth and saying that I didn't think I had to disclose because it was not a conviction and if they ask about it I will tell them what happened.

You were never convicted. Thus, you were never found to be guilty of an infarction; however, you were charged with one. Big difference. Depending on the state, you must disclose any charges and arrests to schools and employers, not just convictions.

Considering that our and all medical professiona must adhere to exemplary ethical actions, it would be wise to respectfully write to the school to inform them of your past issue. I would have let them know sooner; do so moving forward. Since you were not convicted of a crime, you will not have an issue (per say) obtaining medical licensure.

Call them. Like women, schools like a bad boy *winkie face smile*

My take would be if the law said you were not in trouble after due process, then you should be fine. It happened, but as far as the government goes they did not provide a punishment and dismissed your actions.

Be honest it happened. I also believe there are laws in how the school can use the information. So if it says dismissed, a law may say they can not hold it against you. I would look into the state's background check laws on employment and/or education and/or professional licensure. This would probably give a more satisfactory explanation, and if the school disobeys those laws you can appeal an offer that was taken back.

I just want to clarify this was 3 or 4 years ago not 3/4 years ago spoke with some legal sources I believe I will be fine but thank you for the input guys.

I just want to clarify this was 3 or 4 years ago not 3/4 years ago spoke with some legal sources I believe I will be fine but thank you for the input guys.
Consult with a lawyer if you have any concerns. Advice from this board is worthless, and after all, it is your career.