Accepted to DO prefer non primary care specialty, any reason to try again MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Albotar1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted into my #1 choice DO school. The few MD schools that told me why they rejected me said not enough volunteering and I applied too late, I specifically asked about MCAT/GPA at one school and they said it was fine. I have a 34MCAT and a 3.3gpa from a top 10 school.

I'm very interested in radiology, I've spent about 40 hours shadowing a radiologist and loved it. I also spent time with less competitive specialties and primary care and liked those too but I really like radiology.

I'm also nontraditional so waiting another year seems tougher for me now than if I was 22.
Right now the plan is to become a D.O. but I figured I would ask if anyone had thoughts on this.

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted into my #1 choice DO school. The few MD schools that told me why they rejected me said not enough volunteering and I applied too late, I specifically asked about MCAT/GPA at one school and they said it was fine. I have a 34MCAT and a 3.3gpa from a top 10 school.

I'm very interested in radiology, I've spent about 40 hours shadowing a radiologist and loved it. I also spent time with less competitive specialties and primary care and liked those too but I really like radiology.

I'm also nontraditional so waiting another year seems tougher for me now than if I was 22.
Right now the plan is to become a D.O. but I figured I would ask if anyone had thoughts on this.

Do well in your DO program and can match into radiology. Turning down that acceptance would be a terrible idea.

Do well in your DO program and can match into radiology. Turning down that acceptance would be a terrible idea.

+1. It would be foolish to turn down a med school acceptance this year, in order to reapply again next year to allopathic schools. Honestly, you can add 500 hours volunteering, and that won't guarantee even an interview next cycle. I'm a nontraditional as well, and I'd snatch my #1 DO choice, do weol, and match into whatever I want to specialize in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take your acceptance and run. Matching radiology can be done even with a caribbean degree. Added to that is the AOA radiology match.

Take your DO acceptance. Likes others have pointed out, there is no guarantee of an MD acceptance next cycle. I went through 2 cycles to get accepted and it was not fun (I made the dumb decision of not applying DO the first time around).

Your success in matching is more about YOU than where you go to school. Work hard and you can be very successful.

Agree with above. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. With the squeeze of increased students and relatively stagnant residency programs (especially in specialty fields such as rads) I would say the earlier you can get through the better. Plus, who want to wait another whole year. Time to get this game started! Also with the potential (almost definite?) consolidation of all residencies under the ACGME in 2015 you should be on the same ground applying to allopathic residencies as a DO. At the very least you won't have to hem and haw over which match you're going to have to participate in.

Survivor DO

I don't know..34 mcat? Get a masters and apply MD...

otherwise you'll have an uphill battle your whole life.

nontrad reapplicant here..going to a solid MD this fall!

This is bad advice.

This is bad advice.

Agreed. Especially with the ACGME/AOA merger coming up, being a DO has very few disadvantages. If it was me, I would go to a DO school now over waiting another year to POSSIBLY get an MD acceptance. Had I not gotten into my top choice (MD) this year, I would have gone to a DO school (CCOM).

Last edited:

Sorry but that sounds like a terrible idea. Like someone else said, OP is not guaranteed to get an acceptance. A 34 is amazing, but a 3.3 is low. Additionally, is doing 3 months of community service from now until June when he/she would reapply really look good or even come close to comparing to other applicants who have solid community service for years? Definitely not. OP take that acceptance and run. If you work your butt off and get a good Step 1 score you will be fine.

I actually agree with this guy.

Even if we don't want to admit it, there is a stigma against DO doctors. For the rest of your career, you probably be looked down upon and people will assume you didn't do well in school that is why you went DO.

This obviously isn't true for everyone, but many people will assume this.

I think it would be worth it to wait, do something productive to enhance your app, and then try again. With a 34 MCAT and a 3.3 GPA, you should be able to get in somewhere.

What was your list of schools, OP?

....For the rest of your career, you probably be looked down upon and people will assume you didn't do well in school that is why you went DO....

This obviously isn't true for everyone, but many people will assume this

Actually no, most people won't assume this. And a lot of people don't realize there are DOs. Many have probably been treated by a DO in the past and didn't know it.

Even if we don't want to admit it, there is a stigma against DO doctors. For the rest of your career, you probably be looked down upon and people will assume you didn't do well in school that is why you went DO.

I think it would be worth it to wait, do something productive to enhance your app, and then try again. With a 34 MCAT and a 3.3 GPA, you should be able to get in somewhere.

Well I'm convinced.

I see no reason not to blow multiple years and tens of thousands of dollars on a gamble that will, in the best case scenario, put you pretty much where you'd be if you'd just gone to school in the first place; albeit older and poorer. At least premeds on the Internet won't think you couldn't make it to MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion, I would wait another year to apply to a MD school. You have a solid MCAT, an ok GPA, so no reason you should not apply to MD schools

I had similar stats, but with a higher split. 35 MCAT and a 3.21 AMCAS gpa, and I will be matriculating at DMU this fall. I was disappointed that I didn't get MD attention, but I realize that my GPA was a huge dealbreaker. The more I think about it, the more excited about enrolling at DMU I get. Still, as others have said previously, if you didn't want to go to a DO school, why apply to them? Now that my app cycle is over I am all the more happy to be a DO, they gave me a shot. I'm gonna be a doctor. So, unless you are a URM, I would recommend taking the DO acceptance. That said, you have to be comfortable with whatever you choose. If you can't get excited about a DO school then you probably won't do that well there.

Last edited:
My opinion, I would wait another year to apply to a MD school. You have a solid MCAT, an ok GPA, so no reason you should not apply to MD schools

Well considering one of the biggest reasons for no MD acceptance was a lack of volunteering, what makes you think OP has such a good shot at getting accepted this time?

If that's how you feel, that is your own insecurity. Should a URM physician worry his/her entire career about the people who will assume they achieved their goals because he/she is URM? You're telling me you would give up 2 years of extra salary in order to work on your application to get the MD because someone may look down upon you? That sounds so immature.

I cross posted this from pre-med because I was getting some truly terrible replies and I'm hoping people that have been through the match process can chime in.

I'm very interested in radiology, I've spent about 40 hours shadowing a radiologist and loved it. I also spent time with less competitive specialties and primary care and liked those too and would be happy in most specialties including primary care but I do like radiology.
Right now the plan is to become a D.O. but I figured I would ask if anyone had thoughts on this

Last edited:
My opinion:

Do whatever it takes to get into an MD school. You scored a 34 on the MCAT. Most premeds would kill to have that score

Its not like you got a 27 mcat and are wanting to go to MD school but barely got into an DO school. Thats when the Birds and bushes come in.

Take the year off, ask your state school what you have to do to be competitive, and become an MD.

I cross posted this from pre-med because I was getting some truly terrible replies and I'm hoping people that have been through the match process can chime in.

I'm very interested in radiology, I've spent about 40 hours shadowing a radiologist and loved it. I also spent time with less competitive specialties and primary care and liked those too but I really like radiology. I would still be very happy with a career in primary care or a less competitive specialty.

Right now the plan is to become a D.O. but I figured I would ask if anyone had thoughts on this

i actually agree with this guy.

Even if we don't want to admit it, there is a stigma against do doctors. For the rest of your career, you probably be looked down upon and people will assume you didn't do well in school that is why you went do.

wtf

Since your MCAT is pretty good for MD schools, you can certainly try again next year. Like what OP wants to do, I waited a year to get into MD school, but still ended up in a DO school eventually. I can tell you, economically it's not really worth waiting a year. tuition is going up, as well as one lost year of practicing as a physician, you are looking at a big $$ difference here.

Keep in mind that while yes, it is more difficult to match into a competitive speciality such as radiology as a DO, however, it is also difficult for 90% of the MD students. Are you sure you can do well enough in med school, and your boards to match radiology?

.not going to get into arguments on the internet.

Do you think you're guaranteed to get into a MD school next cycle?

No. Go to the DO school. There are DO rads residencies.

While there is a good chance you will change your minds, Rads is very DO friendly. DO's match into top tier programs every year.

NO!!!!!
I am an MD attending physician, I know DO attending physicians in every field of medicine, Nobody freaking cares once you're in the real world.
You got accepted, take it, done.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should have considered this scenario before applying. Since you received a DO offer, turning it down in hopes for an MD acceptance is a terrible idea. You likely cannot fall back on the DO option next year due to this. If the degree letters mattered to you, you should have applied only MD first time around.

While there is a good chance you will change your minds, Rads is very DO friendly. DO's match into top tier programs every year.

I wouldn't say radiology is DO friendly, but, yeah, it isn't too bad. Everyone in my class that wanted radiology got it. One of them had a comlex in the 540s, which isn't all that special. The others had a 220, 215 and 240.

There are a good number of DOs every single year who make it into ACGME radiology residencies.

.not going to get into arguments on the internet.

It doesn't matter. Cross-posting is a violation of the TOS.

Secondly, you've asked for advice from "people who've matched" but yet you've posted this in the med student forum, not the residency forum.

NO!!!!!
I am an MD attending physician, I know DO attending physicians in every field of medicine, Nobody freaking cares once you're in the real world.
You got accepted, take it, done.

THIS.

You have no guarantee that you will get a position ANYWHERE next year, let alone MD. IMHO you would be foolish to give up a position.

And:

1) you have no idea what you'll actually be interested in until you do it
2) Rads is not all that competitive
3) DO applicants can apply for DO/MD residencies
4) no one but pre-meds care about DO vs MD; most of your colleagues and many of your patients will have no idea what your degree is, nor will they care

Rads can be somewhat competitive, no doubt about that. However, there's no reason that you can't do it as a DO. That said, it'd be easier as an MD. Your MCAT indicates that you probably have the aptitude for rads. I see the decision as somewhat independent of what you think you want to do as a specialty. Right now, your decision is more along the lines of 1. Am I going to get a good education at the school(s) I am accepted into? 2. Do I think that I will be happy there? 3. Do I want to get started now or am I okay waiting for another year?

You will decide what specialty you're interested in when you're in school, specifically during clinical rotations. It can be harder to enter some specialties as a DO, but you will be okay if you put in a lot of work and know your stuff. I'd go for the guaranteed spot you have.

Last edited:
DO here that just matched rads at a well known and well respected program for both radiology and a highly desired Transitional year. I had 3 classmates that also matched their top 3 choices in radiology.

Bad idea purely because you're gambling on a brand new cycle when you already have an acceptance. I'm interested in rads, too (I know everyone is liable to change their specialty desires as you progress through med school, but it's among my top three right now). I don't think it will severely affect your chances at matching rads.

So then what it boils down to is how much does being an MD matter to you vs. being a DO? If it's a lot, you have an okay numeric platform for reapplying if you get your app done early.

You will have to tell schools you applied and were accepted a school but turned it down. So whatever was wrong with your application this time around + that explanation will not help you. Also, the school you are turning down now will def not show you any love next time you apply...nor will other DO schools you were accepted to. So you can really be screwing yourself.

Of course there is a chance that you get an MD, but there is still a good chance you won't. Why risk not becoming a doctor at all when you already have an acceptance and, if you work hard like everyone else who gets rads, practice the type of medicine you have an interest in.

Bird in the hand, bird in the hand.... The 34 MCAT is unlikely to rescue your 3.3 GPA. I've had students going into radiology, anaethesiology, neurology, neurosurgery and opthamology, as well as plenty of I.M., so you're prefectly fine to specialize with a DO degree.

I have spoken with MD schools in my state and asked them specifically about this and they all said if they found out that they turned down a medical school acceptance because of the degree granted to only apply the next year for the degree the public is more familiar with would be a major turnoff to them with regard to that applicant. As someone previously stated, I think they will find out, unless you're dishonest on your application the following year. Also, it's a freaking DO...you still get to be a doctor! You're still in one of the most competitive professional schools! It's still more "prestigious" than being a chiropractor, OT/PT, dentist, PA, pharmacist etc. (my opinion)

Personal note: I am 27. I have some debts to settle this year and will apply next year and matriculate when I'm 29, won't be done till I'm 33 and won't get through residency until I'm 38. You need to look at this as a lifelong commitment. In the grand scheme of an entire career, I doubt it's going to matter I had 7 gap years. And that's only if all goes well.

Last edited:
I have spoken with MD schools in my state and asked them specifically about this and they all said if they found out that they turned down a medical school acceptance because of the degree granted to only apply the next year for the degree the public is more familiar with would be a major turnoff to them with regard to that applicant. As someone previously stated, I think they will find out, unless you're dishonest on your application the following year. Also, it's a freaking DO...you still get to be a doctor! You're still in one of the most competitive professional schools! It's still more "prestigious" than being a chiropractor, OT/PT, dentist, PA, pharmacist etc. (my opinion)

Personal note: I am 27. I have some debts to settle this year and will apply next year and matriculate when I'm 29, won't be done till I'm 33 and won't get through residency until I'm 38. You need to look at this as a lifelong commitment. In the grand scheme of an entire career, I doubt it's going to matter I had 7 gap years. And that's only if all goes well.

Yeah right bro :laugh:

I actually enjoyed this thread. Very informative. Good discussion.

Agreed. Especially with the ACGME/AOA merger coming up, being a DO has very few disadvantages. If it was me, I would go to a DO school now over waiting another year to POSSIBLY get an MD acceptance. Had I not gotten into my top choice (MD) this year, I would have gone to a DO school (CCOM).

Merger? What's all this about? I ask so I can look more into it

I agree, take the DO acceptance right now. There is no guaranties for next year. Work hard, radiology is a possibility. DOs can be in any field. Good luck.

Why the hell would you bump a thread from March to start a pissing contest between dentistry and DO? Seriously?
Haha, this... Although it did remind me that I need my teeth cleaned