accepted to med school, but thinking of nursing instead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You should go to medical school and be the kind of doctor that wants to and does spend alot of time with patients. We need more doctors like that. The bottom line between physician and an allied health worker is thinking and autonomy to make decisions and not simply to execute orders. We have enough nurses who want to be doctors and need to STHU and do what they're told. And relationships are like animals- the strong ones are just going to survive no matter and the weak ones will get weeded out anyway. You ultimately dont have control over that or what this other person will do but your career is in your hands. I guess theres a reason why after 5 years with the same person you're still not married.

Members don't see this ad.

hi all,

i'd appreciate any input from people on here--i've recently been accepted to a US med school with a reasonably low tuition compared to other places. i started working as a cna at a psych hospital a few months ago, and have gotten to see a lot of what nurses do--i really like the fact that they spend so much time with patients (though at the psych hospital, most of them push meds, but still). most of the docs i've seen and shadowed, not just psychiatrists, do not spend much time with each patient because they don't have the time; most of what they do is diagnose and prescribe..for the past few years i thought i was certain on wanting to go to med school--i finished prereqs, studied for the MCAT exam almost full-time for over a year, was an active volunteer in various hospitals, and did all that i needed to do. now i'm just confused--i've shadowed nurses in the past and thought at the time that i did not want to become one, that i wanted more book knowledge and the ability to diagnose and treat the way a doctor does. however, at this time, i've been very satisfied with my role even as a cna in terms of getting to know the patients well, having them thank me when they get discharged, and really trying my best to 'take care' of them in a much more tangible way than i have seen doctors do..

also, i have a SO with whom i plan to settle down in the next few years, hopefully, but the med school i've been accepted to so far is very far away from where we live currently; we would likely have to be long-distance for at least 4 yrs. this would be very difficult because we've lived together in the same place for over 5 yrs, and i don't think we would function well being long-distance. he would not be able to move anywhere close to the med school due the lack of jobs in his area over there. the only way we could live in the same place would be if i transferred to a different med school in an area where he could get a job (of course this is very difficult to do). additionally, i know that if we wanted to have a family in the future, it would be easier to do this as a nurse in terms of having enough time--if i became a doctor, unless i started having kids as a resident (and i've heard this is brutal) i wouldn't be able to start my family until at least the age of 36-37...

of course my family would think i am crazy if i say no to med school and opt for nursing instead, and because of all the hard work i've put into trying to get INTO medical school i'm not sure how i would emotionally deal with saying no and starting over with nursing prereqs and a whole new career (nursing prereqs do not overlap with premed prereqs much). i also know that many nurses are dissatisfied with the level of respect they get and they income they have (though income is not everything to me--i'd like to be financially stable, but a high salary has never been the biggest motivation for my wanting to become a doctor).

if i did pursue medicine, i'd like to be in a specialty where i have a lot of time with my patients, and not just diagnose and prescribe all day long without being able to form a solid relationship with my patients. any ideas from current med students/doctors? i have heard that primary care docs do the most of this, but i don't know if it's to the level which i would be happy with..

anyway, so sorry for the novel, but I'm wondering if i'm just being disillusioned, or if all my concerns are valid.

thanks so much, everyone!

Is your name Gaylord Focker?

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW. I have never come across anyone who is almost in the same situation as me (PM me if you would like!) I was pre-med all throughout college, although a little part of me had always worried about whether medicine was really a good fit for me because of my desire to have a big family and spend a decent amount of time at home raising kids when I'm older. I've been back and forth between doctor and nurse practitioner for the past few years, and was frustrated that I couldn't confidently make a decision and decided to apply to medical school anyway. I was accepted into several D.O. schools. I'm so excited, but at the same time I really want to think this decision through and not jump into medical school just because it's right there in front of me. My concerns about medical school are I want to have several children when I'm older (after finishing residency), and be able to work part time for awhile at least while my kids are young I'm worried that after I'm done residency, I'll have so much debt from school that working part time and starting a family won't be very realistic (and the amount of debt I will have from a private D.O. school is a LOT). I think NP would be more flexible in regards to this, and schooling is not as long so I would be able to have kids earlier, but I know if I choose this path some little part of me will always wonder if I would have been more satisfied being a physician (and especially knowing I got this far).

I truly feel your pain- I have worked SO hard to get to this point but for some reason a little part of me is I guess getting cold feet and saying don't do it. I know alot of people think I'm crazy for even doubting it, but I would much rather think it through very, very thoroughly now than hate my decision when I'm 2 years into medical school and $100,000+ in debt. I'm interested to know where you are in your decision!

javascript:;javascript:;

You should go to medical school and be the kind of doctor that wants to and does spend alot of time with patients. We need more doctors like that. The bottom line between physician and an allied health worker is thinking and autonomy to make decisions and not simply to execute orders. We have enough nurses who want to be doctors and need to STHU and do what they're told. And relationships are like animals- the strong ones are just going to survive no matter and the weak ones will get weeded out anyway. You ultimately dont have control over that or what this other person will do but your career is in your hands. I guess theres a reason why after 5 years with the same person you're still not married.

I would argue that within scope there is just as much autonomy and thinking in nursing as medicine. It's a difference of focus. Nurses constantly make decisions without asking "Mother may I?" from the physician every second of the day. Granted, these decisions are not usually about formulating the diagnosis or deciding on the course of treatment, so if that aspect of healthcare is what matters to you, then yes, becoming a physician would be the better choice.

Nurses that don't think and just "do what they're told"- whatever that is are just as much of a threat to patient safety as a physician that practices medicine just like a cookbook.

WOW. I have never come across anyone who is almost in the same situation as me (PM me if you would like!) I was pre-med all throughout college, although a little part of me had always worried about whether medicine was really a good fit for me because of my desire to have a big family and spend a decent amount of time at home raising kids when I'm older. I've been back and forth between doctor and nurse practitioner for the past few years, and was frustrated that I couldn't confidently make a decision and decided to apply to medical school anyway. I was accepted into several D.O. schools. I'm so excited, but at the same time I really want to think this decision through and not jump into medical school just because it's right there in front of me. My concerns about medical school are I want to have several children when I'm older (after finishing residency), and be able to work part time for awhile at least while my kids are young I'm worried that after I'm done residency, I'll have so much debt from school that working part time and starting a family won't be very realistic (and the amount of debt I will have from a private D.O. school is a LOT). I think NP would be more flexible in regards to this, and schooling is not as long so I would be able to have kids earlier, but I know if I choose this path some little part of me will always wonder if I would have been more satisfied being a physician (and especially knowing I got this far).

I truly feel your pain- I have worked SO hard to get to this point but for some reason a little part of me is I guess getting cold feet and saying don't do it. I know alot of people think I'm crazy for even doubting it, but I would much rather think it through very, very thoroughly now than hate my decision when I'm 2 years into medical school and $100,000+ in debt. I'm interested to know where you are in your decision!

javascript:;javascript:;

Is your name Gaylord Focker?

I have been in the similar dilemma for the past few years. I actually applied to nursing at a very reputable university and they lost my application! I took that as a sign that it wasn't meant to be.

I have decided and go ahead and apply to medical school now because I have never tried yet and I want to know what it's like going through a cycle of applications...not so keen on getting all those rejection letters though :p

I have been having a bit of anxiety about my decision lately (i.e. what's going to happen if I try for a couple of years and don't get in?) and I went to go talk to my family doc (I've known him my whole life). He told me to start looking REALISTICALLY at other career options that I may enjoy to take the edge off so I am not so stressed out.

As much as nursing sounds nice, I don't think I would do well with taking orders from young, arrogant MD's. It just wouldn't be a pretty scene :)

OP, you really just have to ask yourself if you can be happy with a career in nursing and not resent your SO for it. That will ruin your relationship...do it for yourself :)

P.S. Long distance isn't that bad if you can find a balance that can work for you...I did it for awhile so I speak from experience.

Edit: realized that my reason to apply to medical school sounds lame. There are many other reasons I am applying not just because I think it's a game! I meant I would really like to go through the process to see if I can even get in since I have never had much confidence in myself. I have finally worked up the courage to get going on the process.

I know several professors that turned down medical school to pursue a PhD. I know two professors who were MD/PhD students and quit the MD. There are several MD/PhD faculty who skipped residency to instead focus on research. I wouldn't be surprised if there are other folks who have given up their medical school seats to pursue other goals. A postdoc who I know turned down his medical school seat to pursue a PhD. He has several papers and is applying for faculty jobs now.

So yes, people do give up their medical school seats. I believe there are other reasons as well, including that of the OP.

OP, think carefully about your decision. Be honest with yourself and your situation. Good luck.

I know a few nurses who wish they had gone to med school instead and feel it is now too late to embark in such an endeavour. They have families holding them back and feel trapped in a profession where they don't get as much respet as they should get. They are overworked, have to work shifts, clean patients, accommodate frivolous requests and don't feel they get to make any decisions.

As was mentioned before, consider your options carefully, because, once you make that decision, it will be extremelly hard to go back if you change your mind.

Last edited:
I know a few nurses who wish they had gone to med school instead and feel it is now too late to embark in such an endeavour. They have families holding them back and feel trapped in a profession where they don't get as much respet as they should get. They are overworked, have to work shifts, clean patients, accomodate frivolous requests and don't feel they get to make any decisions.

As was mentioned before, consider your options carefully, because, once you make that decision, it will be extremelly hard to go back if you change your mind.

I suspect that the nurses that you mentioned would likely have the exact same complaints if they went into medicine.

Well, maybe slightly different. Instead it would be that their professional endeavors interfere with their family lives, rather than the other way around. Spend 5 min. on these forums and you'll find plenty complaints of feeling overworked, underpaid, and no respect. And of course, frivolous consultant calls, nurse calls, patient/family calls, decreasing autonomy due to hospital administration policies, etc.

And who in a "helping" profession complains about taking care of a vulnerable person's basic needs? (i.e. cleaning the patient). Bodily excretions and secretions are unpleasant, duh. It's an unpleasant task that needs to be done in order to make the patient healthier. As an example from the medical side, I imagine that a physician wouldn't look forward to excising a furuncle on someone's ass, but hey, that's part of the job and it acheives the goal of making the patient healthier.

In my mind, making the decision between nursing and medicine is this: Do you want to diagnose and prescribe therapy? Or do you want to assess, administer therapy to, monitor, and comfort the patient?

There is plenty of personal satisfaction to be had in either field. And frustrations and unpleasantness aplenty in either field. Both fields require a study of science, health, and disease (obviously medicine is longer and more in depth), both fields require critical thinking and good decision-making, and both require (in theory, anyway) a basic desire to assist fellow human beings in their time of need.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents having reasonably extensive experience in one field and crossing over to the other (obviously after a lot of consideration).

Medicine is worth it. Nurses have a flexible lifestyle, but there is not a lot of career progression. I have worked in inpatient hospital medicine for the past three years, and a lot of older nurses feel stuck in their postitions.

However, you probably should strongly consider being a PA (physician assistant). Your situation is very common among PA's - people who want to do medicine but want to have more time for their life and families. Plus it is only two years to get a degree, while becoming a nurse will take you at least three. The PA's where I work (a prestigious teaching hospital in Boston) have responsibilities almost identical to residents, but work 40 hr weeks and have a nice lifestyle. It's worth a look into.

Wow. I'm glad I'm pre-VET, because they are much nicer over there...

In long-distance relationships, it really depends on what you expect out of them. I have sort of a long-distance thing going on. I like it because it is much easier to focus on school because I don't feel obligated to spend time with my SO for a certain amount of time. I can have two jobs, study when I need to and have fun the rest of the time - sometimes with him when he's here, skyping or with other people/doing other things.

And it makes seeing him so much better because you've been apart for a while. Those few times together are so much more special.

It also helps that he is very supportive of my schooling.