1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Accepted to Pharmacy School, having trouble last semester

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by BulsangHanNamja, Apr 21, 2007.

1. BulsangHanNamja

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Hello, I have been accepted to a pharmacy school, but i am doing horrible this semester. I'm currently taking cell right now and I will most likely end up with a "D" in this class. And the school requires that you make at least a "C" and above for pre reqs. What am I going to do, besides the obvious answer, "raise your grade." thank you

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Idesiretosling

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Well it sucks to say but if you can't raise your grade then you will not be attending pharmacy school this Fall mos likely. Look for a tutor and go to office hours! Don't waste time on here, go read the book and study your notes. Don't blow your acceptance to pharmacy school because you could not pass Cell! Cell is just touching at what you will do in BioChem and mechanisms in physiology, so you have to know that stuff

4. daoismz

daoismz Pharmacy Student
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    what happens if the class you are taking is not a prereq for your school but you want to take it anyways?

I'm taking anatomy (which isn't required for my school but is for another) and have a C right now. My grade can swing in either direction for the rest of the semester. Dropping is really not an option, because it's anatomy and i'm gonna see it again anyways.

5. Idesiretosling

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    If the class is not a prereq it is usually fine to fail it, doublecheck with admissions at your school though. They told me I had to pass all my PREREQs before this summer and I would be good to go, other classes do not matter.

6. wbrown

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

Call the school and see if you can retake it this summer. Some will let you take math/science prereqs over the summer while others won't.

7. shaun009

shaun009 Member
    5+ Year Member

You do not need to "know that stuff" before attending pharmacy school. Having a good understanding of the cell and some of its primary functions should suffice. Also, having a good background in ochem should do you just fine. You don't need to be a genius on the cell. A friend of mine went as far as microbiology and is getting high B's, low A's in Cell Biology/Biochemistry.

8. RX CARE

RX CARE Eye Have You!!
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    :laugh: Hahahaha.....oooook ....I aint in pharmacy school...but I do know that you NEED TO " KNOW THAT STUFF" when Med Chem comes around.

9. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    To add to this post, I agree that one has to double-check with the school regardless of what the acceptance letter states. Though my acceptance letter from Creighton simply said that I needed to pass all my prereqs by a certain date, I double checked with the school out of paranoia and the admissions counselor said that C-'s and below on spring grades will set off red flags and cause one's application to be "reevaluated"

10. ABRAHAM2

Pre-Pharmacy
    Which School Did You Get Accepted?

11. Dr.Hafeza

2+ Year Member

Do you mean C's on all the classes taken in Spring or only the PreReq's?
    :scared:

12. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Perhaps you should wait until you can speak from experience? You'll use cellular biology especially in your first semester at UCHSC and it serves as a foundation for a lot of other material.

13. patmcd

patmcd Senior Member
    Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    That depends on the particular school. But best to get C's or better in all your classes so you don't have to worry.

14. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    The letters I got from Iowa and Creighton just said Cs and above for just the prerequisites. Yet, Creighton's admissions counselor told me that a C- or below sets up a red flag.

Like patmcd said, it's better to pass all final courses just in case. If the worst happens, you can still retake the courses over the summer.

15. sputnik25

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Although not as severe I am having trouble with my last few classes. A & P II and med chem. Neither of which are prereqs for my school I still do not want to get lower then a C. The only reason I amtaking these courses is to get 12 units for financial aid but I think it will still look bad to get a C in Med chem since it directly applies to pharmacy

16. krsnyf

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    i took mine in the summer...maybe you can find some university around your area too.