Accepted to SUNY Upstate - Should I go to an Albany Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rafflecopter

MS-0
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, received an acceptance to SUNY Upstate about a month ago and just got an interview invite to Albany Medical College. Trying to decide whether I should even bother going to the interview. What do you all think?

I'm leaning towards not even going since:

1) SUNY Upstate is higher ranked

2) SUNY Upstate seems to be able to get in-state tuition after 1 year. Don't know about Albany but doesn't seem like it???

Anyone have thoughts either way on this decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Just to address your second point, Albany Med is not a state school so no in-state tuition perks. NY is liberal with residency, as long as you get your own place (read: no campus housing) you should be able to declare residency after a year and get the IS tuition at SUNY Upstate. Hope that helps.

I was accepted to SUNY Upstate and withdrew my Albany interview right after.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for the responses. I am going to withdraw my application on Monday! Feels weird to turn down an invite, but I know that financially/educationally it doesn't make sense to even go.

Hey all, received an acceptance to SUNY Upstate about a month ago and just got an interview invite to Albany Medical College. Trying to decide whether I should even bother going to the interview. What do you all think?

I'm leaning towards not even going since:

1) SUNY Upstate is higher ranked

2) SUNY Upstate seems to be able to get in-state tuition after 1 year. Don't know about Albany but doesn't seem like it???

Anyone have thoughts either way on this decision?
Take rankings with grain of salt. They are worthless.

I'm an Upstate Alumnus so obviously biased. I'm a resident at a prestigious residency program with an Albany graduate. We both agree that Albany is simply not worth the money if you are accepted to a state medical school. It's a no brainer....

Last edited:
I was accepted to SUNY Upstate and withdrew my Albany interview right after.

Status
Not open for further replies.