Accepted to top choice during orientation at another school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrD0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was recently accepted to a medical school but have my heart set on another school closer to home. However, I am currently waitlisted at my top choice. If I get a call telling me I have been accepted while attending orientation at the other school, can I rescind my commitment and leave for my top choice? Anyone who has gone through something similar, please feel free to comment. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yea you can do whatever the heck you want. I mean you could drop out of med school halfway through and go do something else. As far as I know there is nothing stopping you. Just make sure you square away the financial aspects with the school and make sure they get a written confirmation that you will not be joining/completing the program.

Yea you can do whatever the heck you want. I mean you could drop out of med school halfway through and go do something else. As far as I know there is nothing stopping you. Just make sure you square away the financial aspects with the school and make sure they get a written confirmation that you will not be joining/completing the program.
I think most schools refund 100% of the tuition if it's within the first couple days.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback! Just trying to figure out a way to ask the school without acting like I don't really want to be there.

I think most schools refund 100% of the tuition if it's within the first couple days.

The schools don't get the tuition money within the first couple of days of school. Some require it if you aren't getting federal loans/aid, but if you're getting loans, they don't come in until 1-2 wks into the semester. Obviously, if you don't attend, they'd have to return that loan money.

OP, I know a couple people who have done this (withdraw during orientation week when they get into their top choice). It kind of sucks for the school, but usually they can find someone on the waitlist willing to jump in. Listen, its up to you where you go. You're spending a ton of money for 4 years of stressful education, so you need to go where you'll be happiest. That said, the second you secure your spot at your 1st choice, tell your school ASAP.

Reactions: 1 user
The schools don't get the tuition money within the first couple of days of school. Some require it if you aren't getting federal loans/aid, but if you're getting loans, they don't come in until 1-2 wks into the semester. Obviously, if you don't attend, they'd have to return that loan money.

OP, I know a couple people who have done this (withdraw during orientation week when they get into their top choice). It kind of sucks for the school, but usually they can find someone on the waitlist willing to jump in. Listen, its up to you where you go. You're spending a ton of money for 4 years of stressful education, so you need to go where you'll be happiest. That said, the second you secure your spot at your 1st choice, tell your school ASAP.
Thanks! Solid advice. Really appreciate it!

I know a lot of schools do prorated tuition for those kind of situations. I had a friend that got accepted into her top choice while in the second week at another school and immediately switched. She only ended up owing $1600 or something

I know a lot of schools do prorated tuition for those kind of situations. I had a friend that got accepted into her top choice while in the second week at another school and immediately switched. She only ended up owing $1600 or something
While losing about 2k would be tough, I would still take the hit and attend my first choice since it is so close to home. Having the support of family and friends is priceless.

While losing about 2k would be tough, I would still take the hit and attend my first choice since it is so close to home. Having the support of family and friends is priceless.
Well it's defintely better than owing an entire semester of 50K

Definitely better than owing 50K for sure haha. Most likely I will hear back from my top choice during the first week at the school I will currently be attending. So, I don't think withdrawing in the first week will be much of a problem...at least I hope so.

i don't foresee it being very difficult.

People have done that at our school, so yes. But don't hold your breath...it's quite late in the game.

So I was recently accepted to a medical school but have my heart set on another school closer to home. However, I am currently waitlisted at my top choice. If I get a call telling me I have been accepted while attending orientation at the other school, can I rescind my commitment and leave for my top choice? Anyone who has gone through something similar, please feel free to comment. Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!