• SDN Site Updates

    Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Hey all!

Since I and the other Tier 1 waitlisters are hoping to get off the waitlist, I was wondering if anyone was accepted to UPenn that does not plan to attend. I would really appreciate it if you would post here to give us some hope! Thanks in advance! Congratulations on your acceptance! If I was in your position, I would be the happiest person in the world now! :clap:
 

loomis

Lifetime Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2002
371
2
Status (Visible)
hi
i will be withdrawing my spot on the MD only class. best of luck to you....i really hope penn takes you off their waitlist!
loomis
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Hey loomis!

Thank you so much! You are awesome. I really appreciate it. Good luck with everything! :clap:
 
About the Ads

PianoGirl04

living for tomorrow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2003
564
0
38
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
DrJ - I got into Penn and really love the school, but whether or not I actually go there will depend on financial aid info. I'm sure there are lots of other people that feel the same way, so hang in there! I really hope you get in. :)
 

Harps

Jatt Denominator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2002
1,208
2
39
CA
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by DrJ2B
Hey all!

Since I and the other Tier 1 waitlisters are hoping to get off the waitlist, I was wondering if anyone was accepted to UPenn that does not plan to attend. I would really appreciate it if you would post here to give us some hope! Thanks in advance! Congratulations on your acceptance! If I was in your position, I would be the happiest person in the world now! :clap:

I just wanted to post that we're all rooting for you, bro. As one of the sicerest posters, you should definitely get into Upenn. Sending some positive waves over!

:)
-Harps
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Thanks so much for the support and kind words Harps, Jlee, and PianoGirl! It really means a great deal to me. I am still hanging in. I am going to send in another letter of recommendation from my job and a very well-thought-out letter stating why I love the school and how UPenn Med and I for together. I am going to spend a week or so on the letter to make it perfect. I am going to send it to the Director of Admissions. With some faith and hope, I may get in. Regardless, I will always love the school. Congrats PianoGirl on the acceptance! UPenn is a great school! I hope you do not pass up the chance to go there! I hope you get one of the full rides so your decision will be much easier. :clap: :clap:

Good luck to all of you in the rest of the process. If any of you are on waitlists (JLee I am rooting for you with UCLA), I hope you get in soon. :)
 

leavesam

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2003
45
0
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by DrJ2B
I am still hanging in. I am going to send in another letter of recommendation from my job and a very well-thought-out letter stating why I love the school and how UPenn Med and I for together. I am going to spend a week or so on the letter to make it perfect. I am going to send it to the Director of Admissions. With some faith and hope, I may get in. Regardless, I will always love the school. :)

Man, with this amazing amount of dedication, it would be soo wrong of them to not let you in.
 

joker

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2003
116
1
Status (Visible)
I'm with everyone else on here when I say: DrJ2B...you deserve PENN more than anyone! Just the fact you got interviews at so many great schools shows what a great applicant you are. So are all the rest of you...good luck everyone!!!
 

CalBeE

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
2,062
1
Status (Visible)
This process is random and draining....but eventually you'll get there.

Even IF you (touchwood) can't get back to UPenn for med school, residency at the hospital there is an option, right? ;)
 

rackd8ball

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2003
107
0
Status (Visible)
Hey DrJ2B,

I'm rootin for you too! I'll be declining my acceptance too if UPenn doesn't give me any scholarship money, which is probably 99% likely, haha.
 

Tiki

Girl named after a Giant
15+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2004
956
16
East Coast
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I hope you get taken off the waitlist, Dr. J2B. UPenn doesn't know what they are missing if they don't take you. Really, there is no way the people they have accepted are as devoted to the school as you are.

Good luck. :)
 

G_Eagle

MS4 -> R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
345
1
39
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
What if everyone on SDN participated in writing a huge rec letter for DrJ2B? 50 million people can't be wrong! They couldn't turn him down after that. So each person should write a paragraph, and we will all sign it and send it to UPENN. Upon receiving it, they will be so impressed at DrJ2B's impact on his peers that they will accept him with a full ride! Who's with me?! :thumbup:
 
About the Ads

BerkeleyPremed

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
946
1
Status (Visible)
DrJ2B,

I've read your posts about UPenn before and I definitely know that you love the school. Your posts on here are always helpful to folks so I sincerely hope you get in. Penn has no clue what they're missing out on if they don't accept you. You're the most the die-hard Penn fan I've seen on these boards...so that should definitely win them over because adcoms want to admit people that will thoroughly enjoy their experience at the given med school. I know if you are admitted, you'll do great as a Penn med student! Best of luck buddy! Here's rooting for ya...
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate your support and kind words. This has definitely been a heart-wrenching process. I am not going to lose hope. I wish everyone the best of luck with everything! I feel so special having your support. If I can help with anything, please do not hesitate to PM me or IM me on AIM. It is so great having people understand what I am going through. I cannot express how happy I feel. :)
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Hey all!

I thought I would resurrect this thread since May 15th is nearing very quickly. Who has decided to withdraw from UPenn Med or the waitlist? Thanks a bunch!

::goes back to writing another letter to the Director of Admissions about his undying devotion to UPenn :love: ::
 

Cuteasaurus

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2004
268
0
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
LOL, DrJ2B...you rock! I've always appreciated your input, especially when waiting out the Hopkins letters. :) So, what are your chances for Penn since you're on Tier 1? They're prob pretty good, right?

G-Eagle- I'm totally with you on that one...I'd write a page ;)

Good luck everyone! :luck:
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Cuteasaurus said:
LOL, DrJ2B...you rock! I've always appreciated your input, especially when waiting out the Hopkins letters. :) So, what are your chances for Penn since you're on Tier 1? They're prob pretty good, right?

G-Eagle- I'm totally with you on that one...I'd write a page ;)

Good luck everyone! :luck:

Thanks so much for the support. I really hope you get into Hopkins! ::sends good karma to Cuteasaurus:: I am not sure about my chances at UPenn. I know there are some people who are high on the Tier 1 waitlist, but I am just on the Tier 1 waitlist. It is unranked so I am not sure at all about my chances. I have just been making sure to update my file. I had a new LOR sent and will be sending another letter to the Director of Admissions this week. I just really hope I get in. I do not think I have ever wanted anything so much! Good luck to everyone on waitlists! It is such a stressful process, but if I get in, it will be all worth it! :love:
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Does anyone know when the waitlist should move? I called yesterday and was told by the secretary that no one has been taken off the waitlist. On the status page, it says that movement can start on April 15th but it more likely in May. Thanks all! Also, anyone else withdrawing his or her acceptance or waitlist position at UPenn? If so, please post and give me some hope! Muchas gracias! :D
 

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2002
4,372
5
41
A stone's throw from Central Park
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
just passing on some good cheers that this works out for you buddy :D

but pitt's not a bad thing to fall back on ;)
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
DW said:
just passing on some good cheers that this works out for you buddy :D

but pitt's not a bad thing to fall back on ;)

Thanks DW! :) How is everything going at Cornell?
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Does anyone know how many people are high on the Tier 1 waitlist and how many are on the Tier 1 waitlist? In addition, does anyone know how many people UPenn took off the waitlist last year? I will call on Friday unless someone knows this information and I will post anything I can get here. Thanks everyone!
 
About the Ads

klooless

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2003
175
0
Status (Visible)
I just want to write that I LOVE Upenn....at this point, they are the only school NOT giving me a hard time about finances!

G.LUCK waitlist folks! The wait is truly worth it in my opinion.

:)
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
klooless said:
I just want to write that I LOVE Upenn....at this point, they are the only school NOT giving me a hard time about finances!

G.LUCK waitlist folks! The wait is truly worth it in my opinion.

:)

Awesome! One of the many people that shares my sentiment! Are you definitely going to UPenn? You got a full-ride scholarship, didn't you? I do not see how you could pass up UPenn, even without a scholarship. The school is just way too phenomenal! Thanks for the support! Perhaps, all of us waiting will see you this fall! :) Good luck everyone! :luck:
 

pika7

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2003
19
0
Status (Visible)
DrJ2B,
I recently withdrew from UPenn. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. By the sincerity and frequency with which you post, I believe that you deserve it. Good luck wherever you end up.
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Thank you so much pika7 and LoneCoyote for being so considerate as to post! Thanks so much for all the support! I really appreciate it! Good luck at whichever schools you will be going! :clap: :luck: Where will you both be going? :)
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
For everyone's information, Gaye Sheffler will not be in the office until the beginning of next week so if you want to talk to her then try to call her on Tuesday or later. The waitlist still has not begun to move and will probably not move until May 15th, possibly earlier. I will keep everyone posted when I call next week and ask about the waitlist. Good luck everyone! May 15th is right around the corner! I will at least be done with graduation before then so I have nothing else to do either than calling UPenn and waiting by the phone, while checking e-mail incessantly. :love: :D
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Hey all fellow waitlistees!

I called UPenn yesterday and was able to get limited information about the waitlist. First, if anyone is trying to contact Gaye Sheffler, she should be back by Tuesday of next week. I also asked the secretary a few questions about the waitlist but did not get many specifics. I asked about how many people are on the high part of the waitlist and she did not know the specifics but said there was a group there. Again, she mentioned that there has been no movement on the waitlist as of yet and also estimated the date of movement to be May 17th. She was really sweet about it all. If anyone can call and try to get specifics, I would really appreciate it. Otherwise, I will hopefully speak to Ms. Sheffler next week and post anything new here. Good luck everyone. Movement will happen in a little more than 2 weeks! :D :luck:
 

Newquagmire

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2002
1,274
4
yes people, keep withdrawing from penn. you don't want to go there. leave that place for the ilk of me and drj2b
 

musicman1991

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2004
233
3
USA
Status (Visible)
I would write a letter of interest. Say it's your first choice. If you are tier one I have heard that you have a good shot. But you gotta show them you want it!

Good luck and yes Penn med is a great med school.
 
About the Ads

Newquagmire

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2002
1,274
4
musicman1991 said:
I would write a letter of interest. Say it's your first choice. If you are tier one I have heard that you have a good shot. But you gotta show them you want it!

Good luck and yes Penn med is a great med school.

i think it's safe to say we already have ;)
 

felipe5

Fingerpickin' Good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2002
1,230
4
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
hey guys,

got a quick question for you........i'm writing Gaye a letter, but I'd also like to send the adcom an updated list of my EC's. Do you guys think I should I enclose that list with Gaye's letter, or send it separately? I just don't want to send Gaye a super fat letter with a page long letter and 2 pages of ECs. Any thoughts? Thanks :horns:

ps-----good to still see you hangin' in there Dr.J2B.......this wait is a killer, but I guess time keeps on tickin'!!!! may 15th comes soon :thumbup:
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Newquagmire said:
i think it's safe to say we already have ;)

No doubt! I have written more than 1! :) Good luck Newquagmire and felipe! :luck:
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
felipe5 said:
hey guys,

got a quick question for you........i'm writing Gaye a letter, but I'd also like to send the adcom an updated list of my EC's. Do you guys think I should I enclose that list with Gaye's letter, or send it separately? I just don't want to send Gaye a super fat letter with a page long letter and 2 pages of ECs. Any thoughts? Thanks :horns:

ps-----good to still see you hangin' in there Dr.J2B.......this wait is a killer, but I guess time keeps on tickin'!!!! may 15th comes soon :thumbup:

Hey felipe!

I am sending an update of my EC's in my letter to Gaye Sheffler. Since she is the person with the most power nowin terms of getting people off the waitlist, I would just send all future correspondence to her attention. In addition, is there any way you could shorten your EC update? (I do not think it will matter that you sent so much at one time, but brevity is the soul of wit.). I made mine short, sweet and to the point, leaving out too much detail. I will give more detail later on so I have something to write about in my next letter come late May. Good luck with your letter and with getting into UPenn and Wash U! :luck: :) Which would you choose if you got into both?
 

Newquagmire

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2002
1,274
4
DrJ2B said:
I made mine short, sweet and to the point, leaving out too much detail. I will give more detail later on so I have something to write about in my next letter come late May.

Wow, that's pretty sharp of you. I wrote everything I could in the first one without thinking about follow up.
 

felipe5

Fingerpickin' Good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2002
1,230
4
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
DrJ2B said:
Hey felipe!
brevity is the soul of wit......Which would you choose if you got into both?

Yes, good point there Dr. J2B......my goal is to fit all in one page with a very reader-friendly format. As for which school I would pick,,,,,mmmm thats a toughy. I loved both schools, so many factors will come into play, including timing.

Thanks for the tips, and good luck guys! may 15th (and the days thereafter)here we come :horns:
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Has anyone found out any more information about the UPenn waitlist? Can any current UPenn students offer any information about the waitlist? I will be calling later this week to see if I can get any more specifics about the waitlist! Good luck everyone! :luck: Only 2 weeks until waitlist movement! :D
 

rackd8ball

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2003
107
0
Status (Visible)
Does it matter if people tell you they're withdrawing? For a class of 150, Penn probably admits something like 200-220 people off the bat, expecting that at least 1/3 of these kids will withdraw before May 15. Therefore it's expected that a large number of kids will eventually withdraw.

The numbers don't change much every year, so why not just hang tight til 5/15 and see how the dust settles? No point in stressing before movement even starts...
 

thewebthsp

Shoobeedoowap
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2002
1,416
1
home.achilles.net
Status (Visible)
188 off the bat this year (I know this for certain) and 245 total admitted last year. So last year 55-60 admits off the WL. I think Tier 1 is ~100 people.
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
thewebthsp said:
188 off the bat this year (I know this for certain) and 245 total admitted last year. So last year 55-60 admits off the WL. I think Tier 1 is ~100 people.

Hey thewebthsp!

ummmmmmmmm YOU FREAKIN' ROCK! Thanks for all the information. I know nothing is certain, but any bit of hope is appreciated.
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
rackd8ball said:
Does it matter if people tell you they're withdrawing? For a class of 150, Penn probably admits something like 200-220 people off the bat, expecting that at least 1/3 of these kids will withdraw before May 15. Therefore it's expected that a large number of kids will eventually withdraw.

The numbers don't change much every year, so why not just hang tight til 5/15 and see how the dust settles? No point in stressing before movement even starts...


I totally understand what you mean. I am going to wait but I get so nervous and anxious. Another withdrawal just means that another spot has been opened that might be given to me. I love UPenn so much. Any even infinitessimal bit of hope keeps me going. I have been waiting since mid-September to get good news since I applied ED so I can understand the waiting game. I am just trying to hold on to my dream of getting in. I apologize if this bothers anyone! :(
 

Wardens

Long arm of the law
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2002
340
2
39
Baltimore
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Dr.J2B, I'm a huge fan of UPenn too and would love to go there, but may I ask why you are such a big fan? It's got to be a lot more than the curriculum for you to be this crazy about the place. Did you grow up in the neighborhood or something?
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Wardens said:
Dr.J2B, I'm a huge fan of UPenn too and would love to go there, but may I ask why you are such a big fan? It's got to be a lot more than the curriculum for you to be this crazy about the place. Did you grow up in the neighborhood or something?

First and foremost, I visited the school before I even applied and absolutely loved it. I got the vibe from the start. The flexibility and structure of the curriclum best suites how I learn and will give me the best chance to be well-rounded. I will be able to explore many of my own interests and they really encourage that. I want to get out on the wards as soon as possible so I love the 1.5 year basic science. I will also be pretty close to my friends and family without being in NY. I really liked Philly in terms of what it could offer leisure-wise. I also would love to stay for both my residencies at UPenn because of CHOP. The student atmosphere is just awesome and I felt so comfortable meeting the students even those not involved in the admissions process. There are so many opportunities to work with diverse populations and terminally-ill children. That's a start! :)
 

jrmgarbage

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2004
41
0
39
Status (Visible)
I concur.
DrJ, I feel the pain. We have been in this together (whether we knew it or not) since September. I spoke to Gaye on Tuesday...she didn't really give any details (probably because i didn't ask for them). Her exact words regarding the struggle..."It has been a long time since you were here in September. One of the difficulties of the EDP program is that the process seems so long and drawn out." Overall though, the conversation seemed to be optimistic. I'm just trying to keep myself occupied for the next few weeks/months.


Hey look...my first post.
 

Dr Chooch

will row for toast
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2002
361
0
in a microwave
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey people,

I'm not a UPenn student but I know from last year of several people who were accepted within a week of May 15 off the waitlist (the fact that I knew of a few of them says there's gotta be more than a few), so it seems like they don't waste any time in accepting the people on at least the upper part of the list. I don't know if that really helps, but I figured I would throw in what I know from previous experience. Good luck waiting it out, Penn's an awesome place. For now, go out tonight....forget about it. ;-)

I know I will be. F*ck renal and F*ck pulm.

See ya dudes and lovely women,

Chooch
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Dr Chooch said:
Hey people,

I'm not a UPenn student but I know from last year of several people who were accepted within a week of May 15 off the waitlist (the fact that I knew of a few of them says there's gotta be more than a few), so it seems like they don't waste any time in accepting the people on at least the upper part of the list. I don't know if that really helps, but I figured I would throw in what I know from previous experience. Good luck waiting it out, Penn's an awesome place. For now, go out tonight....forget about it. ;-)

I know I will be. F*ck renal and F*ck pulm.

See ya dudes and lovely women,

Chooch

Thanks so much Dr. Chooch! Good luck everyone! Less than 2 weeks until major waitlist movement! :) :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.