ACCEPTED to UQ/Oschner program!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhtran

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out that I got accepted to the UQ/Oschner program for Jan 2010!!!

Thank you guys for all your help and support!!

jhtran

Members don't see this ad.

Congratutlaions Jhtran. Would you care to explain your progress and factors that influenced your decision?

Congrats!

You had a 7 on one of the MCAT sections, right? So I guess we now know that UQ will sometimes make exceptions to the 8/8/8/M requirement, even late in the application cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
@SFs Own Tone: my GPA is not good enough for US MD, and I don't want to waste 2 years for post-bac. So I'm stuck between the Caribbean (SGU) and Australia (UQ/Os). I like the suburban life, so I think Aus is a better choice (also it's the top 30 schools in the world).

@shan564: yea, apparently a "7" is still considered. But only one though. I guess my "12" and overall somewhat make up for it.

jhtran

I also got accepted with a 7 in one section!! Just found out yesterday! (8/7/10). I don't know what to make of the acceptance though. I wouldn't be ready to start in January as I'm still waiting to hear from everywhere else and the school costs a fortune. Plus there's no mention that AMC has approved which means I could be stuck all 4 years in Australia? I keep convincing myself this is a good option but I'm not so sure. I retook the MCAT 7/31 and am waiting for that school and my GPA is pretty stellar.:confused:

I could be stuck all 4 years in Australia?

Most of us like Australia. It's not like the Caribbean, where you'd actually feel like you're "stuck" there. Or Missouri, where I grew up - definitely felt like I was "stuck" there.

True.. I didn't mean that. Just that I would want the clinical experience in the US and my partner (and dogs) are here and unable to move at the moment. So the 2 years versus the 4 was the preferable option.

Yea, the 2 year US clinical is truly a good option. I do believe that Australian schools are by far better than Caribbean school (I'm going to AUC right now) in both living condition and quality.

Matt emailed me this morning and said that AMC will give updates regarding Ochsner evaluation next week and there will be another website with better information about the Ochsner program.

Crossing fingers,

jhtran

Congrats again jhtran! Can you PM me if you find out about that update? I'm hoping there's some way to defer but I don't think there will be. I just want to wait to hear from US schools which could take months esepcially since my new MCAT won't even be in until Sept. 1. Still haven't received the official UQ/Oschner acceptance in the mail yet.

Congrats again jhtran! Can you PM me if you find out about that update? I'm hoping there's some way to defer but I don't think there will be. I just want to wait to hear from US schools which could take months esepcially since my new MCAT won't even be in until Sept. 1. Still haven't received the official UQ/Oschner acceptance in the mail yet.

I believe the deposit is refundable. At least it was, according to shan.

Ecstatic to say I'm for the 2010 UQ class as well.

Still contemplating UQ-Oschner, & thus far it looks like a very viable option.

*Someone start a facebook page for crying out loud!!

IndigoBoy0-from the horse's mouth: director of the Oschner program say they are on their way to have the Australian and US medical boards approve the program by the time we graduate (ie: 4 years). Obviously, not a guarantee, but if for some reason it is not approved students have the option to finish year 3 and 4 in Brisbane.

Last edited:
Anyone know when we are getting info in the mail? I am definitely considering this program as the options are looking limited (I want to do MD/MBBS as I want to practice globally) and am no so interested in DO. However, I really would like to talk to them about defering until July entry if possible.