accepted urm's, please list your stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi Everybody

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that stats for urm's do not have to be as high as stats for non-urm's. It seems like the vast majority of those accepted on SDN have great stats. Are there any minorities out there that have less than "average" stats? Please post them if you don't mind, so that others like myself are encouraged. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

See <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=006564" target="_blank">this thread.</a> Welcome to SDN, and best of luck with your applications! :D

I think it goes without saying that the stats for URM matriculants tend to be lower (I think you can look up the numbers on the AAMC homepage). I know a girl (URM) with about a 3.0-ish from a low-ranked state school and a 25 MCAT who got into Maryland and was interviewed early. I am a Maryland resident, got interviewed late, and never got in as a white female with a 3.6/29 MCAT; but I'm not unhappy about it anymore since I ended up at a great med school :) A friend of mine in med school who is half Mexican was recruited by Harvard with a 3.4/29 (she decided not to complete the application). Bottom line: If you qualify to check the box, check the box!!!! And don't necessarily be discouraged from applying by sub-par scores (if I had listened to some of the people on the Princeton Review board last year I never would have applied) Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay,
I'm black. Born in Canada, but grew up in Nigeria (16 years). I'm Canadian not American. Does this still qualify me as a URM?

The way the questions on the AMCAS app are worded, you get to check a box for ethnic status
(Not Spanish/Hispanic/Latino/Latina or Spanish/Hispanic/Latino/Latina with options for Cuban, Puerto Rican, or other ethnic), and another box for racial information (black, Native American or Alaska Native, Asian, Hawaiian or Pacific Islander or other. You then get to state what your primary/other language(s) is/are, and whether or not you consider yourself disadvantaged. So, Katie, it's not just a matter of whether one qualifies to "check the box." Which box would that be? How they get out of all this a person's URM status is beyond me. But at least it's not just checking one box -- they seem to be eliciting information that gives a good picture of where one is in the melting pot.

I would think if you're black, you're a URM. Black does not assimilate (i.e. disappear) very well into the melting pot.

Best of luck, Hi and warpath, with your applications! :D

actually, warpath, i'm pretty sure you're considered an international student, not a URM, because i believe you're technically either a canadian or nigerian citizen (i'm not sure which based on your post). the 'african-american' designation, for the sake of applications like this, generally refers to american citizens who are of african heritage.

determining URM status is pretty straightforward. basically, anyone who identifies themselves african-american, native american, mexican-american, or from mainland puerto rican is an underrepresented minority. being 'disadvantaged' is a separate issue. personally i interpreted the question about other languages to either indicate whether you may have had an language obstacle when you first started school (indicating a disadvantage) or if you speak some other language that could potentially be useful as a physician (like spanish).