Accepted with recent misdemeanor conviction (Encouragment to the criminals!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ripsta

dog zero.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I made a stupid mistake on May and nearly doomed my future as a doctor! I interviewd at 9 schools and was placed on several waitlists. The only school that accepted me right off the bat was CU-Denver, and I was pretty set on going there until I was removed off the waitlist of another excellent University. I called the Admissions Office two hours later and disclosed my misdemeanor conviction. I wrote them a letter explaining what I have learned from the series of evens that have followed and how it served as a life growing experience. Since the University of Florida also suspended me for a semester, I also disclosed my academic santions. (When I was arrested, the University of Florida was notified, and ultimately suspended the release of my degree until the end of Summer A). They deliberated for a week and today I was notified that a formal acceptance letter would be sent to on Monday.

So, if anyone has been convicted of a misdemeanor after being accepted and fear their admission may be revoked, there is hope! Do not listen to these tools on SDN. I received plenty of constructive criticism when I posted a forum, but the majory of comments were very discouraging. Just be honest and ignore the speculations. There a lot of individuals on SDN that are EXTREMELY judgemental and bitter about convicted applicants. Just be honest!

I hope this post is helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
so you told them about it after you heard back? or did you get arrested after you submitted your primary?

If you had disclosed it on your primary, I highly doubt you would of been as favorable of an applicant.

what was your misdemeanor?

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN members aren't bitter about convicted criminals at all. If you are talking about the posts from the past 2 weeks then you should notice that the majority of the "criminals", your words, wanted to HIDE the fact that they did something wrong. You took responsibility which is what some failed to do. Your honesty paid off. Others wanted to be dishonest and that's what certain members found disdainful. Congrats on your acceptance and good luck with your career.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wait, so are you going to UF for med school now?

You're so lucky you didn't get a felony for your DUI. According to state law, if you don't blow you are automatically guilty. Did you actually tell the adcoms you were arrested for suspected DUI?

DUI are not felonys in the US. In some states they are not even misdemeanors. however, in canada a DUI is a felony and anyone in the US convicted of one cannot travel to canada.

DUI's are more common than everybody on SDN thinks (its not like i like to say this, but it's true). chances are you could be convicted of a DUI. for average sized males, three beers in an hours will get you one. for females (all though I'm not sure) one drink might get you in trouble.

Last edited:
You're so lucky you didn't get a felony for your DUI. According to state law, if you don't blow you are automatically guilty. Did you actually tell the adcoms you were arrested for suspected DUI?

http://www.ndaa.org/pdf/Felony DUI Chart.pdf
I was wrong and apologize. You weren't anywhere near getting a felony. Apparently you did tell the adcoms you were arrested for DUI.

DUI are not felonys in the US. In some states they are not even misdemeanors. however, in canada a DUI is a felony and anyone in the US convicted of one cannot travel to canada.

DUI's are more common than everybody on SDN thinks (its not like i like to say this, but it's true). chances are you could be convicted of a DUI. for average sized males, three beers in an hours will get you one. for females (all though I'm not sure) one drink might get you in trouble.

As much as I am against drunk driving, I do agree that the strictness of some of the DUI laws are out of control. I know that in NY its an automatic arrest and license suspension for having .05. Thats what, two beers?

I disagree. A lot of the responses I received from my post were very discouraging. And no, I will not be going to UF for Medical School (I received my undergraduate degree from the University of Florida). And here come the judgements; who in the world said I was convicted for DUI? Hush, hush, hush, troll. I would like to keep my conviction personal and the reason for my arrest is irrelevant; I believe America is praised for the notion "innocent until proven guilty." It is discriminatory for you to judge my actions based on my arrest. If I wasn't found responsible for my arrest why should it even concern you? And no, I am not lucky; somewhat fortunate, but I have worked equally as hard, if not harder, than most individuals. All information was disclosed to the medical school I will be attending in the Fall, including the reason for my arrest. I was forunate to be reconsidered and am the glad the insitution I will be attending condoned my actions.

so you told them about it after you heard back? or did you get arrested after you submitted your primary?

If you had disclosed it on your primary, I highly doubt you would of been as favorable of an applicant.

I was convicted after submitting my secondary application. If you read my post carefully, the conviction was sanctioned in May. I interviewed @ CU-Denve in December, and subsequently was notified of my acceptance. Another school contacted me a week ago, stating that they have space in their upcoming class, and I warned them about a recent conviction. They deliberated for a week and will be sending a formal acceptance letter on Monday.

Note the reason for this post is not to attract judgements or criticism. I personally feel like many applicants are automatically placed at a disadvantage due to convictions. It certainly makes the road a little tougher but it's not the end of the world. A lot of the replies on these forums are purely subjective; other applicants believe their personal beliefs are worthy of praise in regards to an acceptance. After being convicted, I did research on these forums and did not find any truly infomrative posts. Very few SDN members who post have misdemeanor convictions while simaltaenously receving acceptances. Instead, individuals without a criminal record flock this forum and opiniate on the matter without any prior experience on the subject. I do not want to motivate or condone similar behavior, I just wish to encourage those who have comitted similar mistakes.

Hehe. GO GATORS. Have a wonderful med school experience in VA.

That's not true. The words "felony" and "misdemeanor" do not even exist in Canadian law. A first time DUI offender in Canada gets a 24 hour suspension of their lisence if they blow over the legal limit.

anyone convicted of a DUI in the US cannot travel to canada and some european countries.

a buddy of mine got a misdemeanor for urinating in public and got into med school. as long as you were honest about it it shouldn't be an issue. depends on the misdemeanor of course.

anyone convicted of a DUI in the US cannot travel to canada and some european countries.

WRONG. You just need authorization.

Perfect example: GEORGE BUSH :D

You simply need proper documentation. Usually, offenses like DUI/DWI aren't looked at by Canada Customs & Immigration. What they're really worried about is drug and weapons convictions.

btw, I'm Canadian and have 5 friends who work for Customs & Immigration :)