accepted...without rec from DO? Is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tnt3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to 5 DO schools yet I have not shadowed a DO. Therefore, I will not be getting a LOR from a DO. Is it still possible to be accepted? Would the schools look badly on applicants who haven't had any experience in osteopathic medicine. I have worked with a lot of MD's. For those accepted did you have LOR from a DO?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Take heart, it is possible. Although most of the schools require a recommendation from a DO, there are a handful that don't. I applied with a letter from my employer and my undergrad committee and was accepted at Des Moines, UNECOM and KCOM. Best wishes!

How did you explain to them why you chose osteopathic medicine rather than allopathic? I want to enter in primary care and I know osteopathic medical schools emphasize primary care. But I really can't say much else. I'm having trouble with TCOM question: what experiences, and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine?
Did you apply to TCOM since you're from Texas?

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice to you is to think of something creative, but NO BS! Tell the truth no matter what. It's better to be honest and say little, than BS and say a whole bunch of stupid things. Being truthful about your interests and expectations won't hurt anyone.

No, I didn't apply to TCOM as I've been in TX a long time and am ready to go out of state. I've never shadowed a DO, so in my interviews I emphasized the books I've read and personal research I've done about osteopathic medicine. Also I talked about my friends who are in med school at TCOM and others. Hope that helps.