Accepting an advanced position in SOAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDin2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if offered and I accepted an advanced position in SOAP (not the specialty I originally applied in) which begins in 2016, can I apply, interview and accept (if offered) a PGY2 position that would start this year in a different specialty which may open up outside the match during this year while I am waiting? The NRMP says SOAP commitments are as binding as the ones in the main match. But if a spot were to open up in my original choice of specialty can I request my PD who offered the SOAP spot to release me? Can this be done?

Members don't see this ad.

So if offered and I accepted an advanced position in SOAP (not the specialty I originally applied in) which begins in 2016, can I apply, interview and accept (if offered) a PGY2 position that would start this year in a different specialty which may open up outside the match during this year while I am waiting? The NRMP says SOAP commitments are as binding as the ones in the main match. But if a spot were to open up in my original choice of specialty can I request my PD who offered the SOAP spot to release me? Can this be done?
You cannot ask the PD to release you, but for a change in specialty, you can ask that the NRMP waive your commitment. This has to be applied for, can be denied, and can only be done through the February before you start.

Given the fact that you know now what you are applying for and that it isn't the specialty you originally wanted, it is very possible the NRMP may be skeptical of your request.

How long would it take to get a waiver? Do I need it even to apply or interview? or do I apply for a waiver only if I get a PGY2 spot?

You cannot ask the PD to release you, but for a change in specialty, you can ask that the NRMP waive your commitment. This has to be applied for, can be denied, and can only be done through the February before you start.

Given the fact that you know now what you are applying for and that it isn't the specialty you originally wanted, it is very possible the NRMP may be skeptical of your request.

Which is why there's so much criticism of the match and SOAP.

Reactions: 1 user

Well if there are no open spots in the SOAP in my specialty I will take anything else that I am offered. Therefore if later I find something in my original choice of specialty will I qualify for a waiver?

No. I do not think it qualifies for a waiver. A waiver is if something changed after you accepted to position that is was unable to be known before accepting the position and is deemed serious/urgent/etc.

No. I do not think it qualifies for a waiver. A waiver is if something changed after you accepted to position that is was unable to be known before accepting the position and is deemed serious/urgent/etc.

The OP is talking about a waiver based on change of specialty, not hardship. Different standards.

OP, I don't know that the waiver would apply to SOAP. You might want to call the NRMP to make sure. If they say SOAP positions qualify, then you need to submit your waiver by December of the year before you start your advanced position.