Accepting Financial Aid Awards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ngkats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the answer to this question is like to be school specific, but I wanted to get a consesus regardless.

I was recently offered a financial aid "award" by a school that consisted only of federal loans (yippee). There was a button on the bottom of the screen to accept the awards but I've refrained from pushing it yet.

So, by accepting an award does this mean that I am officially committing to attend said school? If that's the case, I want to hold off. Or does accepting the award not imply a commitment and is something I should do asap?

btw, this whole financial aid award thing feels like a marriage proposal gone horribly wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed the fin aid office at a school that sent me a fin aid package. They told me I didn't have to accept yet but that I should by June 1. To me that implied that there was some sort of commitment with accepting in this particular case but there was no rush to do so.

were you emailed from the school, or elsewhere?
My school sent me a letter via snail-mail. Nowhere on it, did I see "accept/reject" options (i had no scholarships either, just basic loans).

Members don't see this ad :)
My school sent me a letter via snail-mail. Nowhere on it, did I see "accept/reject" options (i had no scholarships either, just basic loans).

yeah drmatt...i got the same fin aid mail from pennst..but had some scholarship...are we suppose to accept it via phone call or sign some loan waiver online? i'm confused...

any current medical student, can u answer the question..

I just talked to a finaid office and I was told to accept by June-ish if you want to receive the funds in time to pay for August registration...rules seem kinda loose at this school though b/c they said it was the first time they were giving out direct loans, whatever that means. I'm still afraid of losing what I have as they originally told me to accept/reject within 2 weeks.

No email. Just a preliminary snail mail sent a few months ago stating that our awards would be ready by mid april. Checked it one day and there were up.

This is NYU, by the way.